What would you give up to improve Solo/Duo Ranked?

A few minutes of time waiting on a good Q. 5 35.71%
A few bucks if I knew it was going to fix the problem I have. 4 28.57%
Nothing. 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Solo/Duo Ranked problems consolidated

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Larynth

12-26-2011

So it is my intent to try to get most of the real issues with Solo/Duo Ranked listed here with suggestions on how to address them. Please don't just gripe for half a page without some real idea of how it could be fixed.

1) First and foremost I believe we can all agree that 'intentional" greifing by feeding, trolling, whatever means is the most dissruptive force in the Q. If a player is just bad you should be able to help them fix what they are doing wrong or at least compensate for them in some way. Someone who is intentionally dissrupting the game is almost impossible to compensate for.
I would propose some way of either unanimously voting the player out of the game, or some method after the game of voting an interim suspention untill riot staff can review the case. Something that is a more immediate way to mitigate the player's impact on people's ELO. I understand the potential for abuse and or insane workload creation, but you can easily prevent that by requiring that at least 6 of the 9 other players agree to the suspention, or that all 4 on the team agree to play a man down. Getting that kind of majority consensus would be almost impossible for a marginal case.

2) I feel the largest problem with the ELO system for Solo/Duo is that everyone on the team get's the same ELO change more or less. If you could simply modify the change based on your contribution. I know that sounds crazily complex but it's really not. Every champ is already classified, and the game stats are broken down by everything you need. Each champ has a primary roll that has a primary stat one can measure thier success by. Not as a raw number mind you but as a percentage of the team's total. An example would be if Soraka went 10/0/1 with 10% of the team's total healing done clearly she had a good game while failing in her role. Vice versa, if a Garen had horrible stats but had taken 40% of the team's total damage absorbed, he was a god among men.
While not a simple fix the numbers needed and catagories to consider are already there. People should get credit for secondary rolls of the champ, but if you rocked it and your team lost why should you loose ELO equal to the guy who lost the team the game? Conversely, if 4 guys drag you over the finish line despite your utter failure why should you gain ELO? This is a Solo/Duo Q we're not a team we are individuals.

3) My final proposal would be to add check boxes for the roles on the team you are willing to play. Each person chooses in order of ELO as it is now, but once a role is filled champions are locked if they do not meet the roles the team still needs. This would create a potential MissQue situation in which a player was being forced into a roll he's not comfortable in or for which he does not own an appropriate champion, in which place everyone ends up back in the Q no harm no foul. No one can blame the guy for not being able to play something he never said he could play.
Most importantly to this proposal is while it could make Ranked Q times a little slower, I believe most would rather waste an extra 5 or 10 min in Q rather than 20 waiting to surrender a game because someone got pressured into Tanking or playing Support who has no clue what they are doing. Also keep in mind there are more than five roles. I'm not saying you should be forced into a clasic team build, just that you don't need 3 support or 3 stealth etc. I think we as a community can agree that there is a maximum number of anything you would want or need on a team for solo/duo. I'm not suggesting that 3 or 5 man teams be restricted in any way, and you won't likely get a gimick teambuild to work in solo/duo anyway.

Please add your ideas here guys let's try to consolidate this and help them improve the game we love. Thanks to the RIOT staff for at least hearing us out on issues even if limited resources can't always fix everything.

Oh and summoners, if you have complained about a problem in the last month but not bought a penny in RP, how do you expect them to fund the payroll to fix your problem? Just like everything else in life getting what you want costs you something, support the game buy a skin.

Orenin

12-26-2011

just replying as I read.

suggestion 1 is rediculous. your going to vote somone out of a live game? sooo somone from the lobby will load up and take his place? how the hell is that gonna work.
never gonna happen

the second one is OK, but idk how you would determine the contribution. as many people will tell you the game is more than k/d ratio. I think that might prompt even more people to care more about their score than winning the game. idk how else you would quantify it.

3rd suggestion i agree with 100%.

Larynth

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredyellow3 View Post
just replying as I read.

suggestion 1 is rediculous. your going to vote somone out of a live game? sooo somone from the lobby will load up and take his place? how the hell is that gonna work.
never gonna happen

the second one is OK, but idk how you would determine the contribution. as many people will tell you the game is more than k/d ratio. I think that might prompt even more people to care more about their score than winning the game. idk how else you would quantify it.

3rd suggestion i agree with 100%.
Actually I may not have worded 1 as well as possible if that's what you took from it. I'm saying if someone on your team is intentionally feeding/greifing you would agree that trying to win 4v5 without them was better than them giving the game away. No one would replace them. Ideally the guys who get off Trolling ranked games would not get to have any fun if they just got the boot for it and would stop.

On the second point I'm saying KDA would have nothing to do with it. If you were a mage you would be rated on magic damage output, healers by healing, for each champ type there is a stat that tells more than KDA. Perfect example if you look at most Akali players stats they will have 1/2 of the team kills with 1/10 of the team's damage. A telltale that all they did was last hit, which doesn't help the team.(I will qualify this statement by saying running down a champ that would have gotten away is usefull, but hiding untill you can use an ability to get a kill is not) You figure out for each champ what stats will be high if they are doing the job they are intended for. Then based on win or loss they either get a large ELO swing for doing well/poorly or a minimal Elo swing. The guy who does everything right on the loosing team would loose little or no ELO and the guy who did everything wrong on the winning team would gain none.
Remember guys every champ has multiple classes. Pushers should have high CS, Carry should have high DPS and low damage taken. Tanks should have high assists and high damage taken etc. There are at least two stats for each Champ they should have high % of the team score in.

Larynth

12-27-2011

bump

iCoffee

12-27-2011

Voting 'Nothing' because the proposed solutions are poorly thought-out and fail to account for the fact that games often have a significant random element. Soraka may go 10-1-0 just because it was a weird game, you don't get to penalize her for it. What if the other team doesn't suck and thus doesn't focus Garen? Do you rob him of ELO because he couldn't force the other team to attack him? What if Soraka bought a bunch of wards and was thus instrumental in the team's success? What if she bought a bunch of wards and placed them in useless locations?

There should be harsh penalties for ruining the solo/duo queue experience, but an arbitrary "contribution" cannot be used. Check boxes for roles also doesn't work, because weird things happen in games. But then, Riot would pull this nonsense about what is and isn't an AD, AP, Support, etc. What if you have an AP TF and Riot calls him an AD/Assassin? Do you ban your solo mid after a great game because he played AP? As others have pointed out in other threads, people will also just ignore the feature and/or troll with it.

Bgock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2011

What if you rate the people you play with? something simple like +1/-1 only. If you vote you get some small ip bonus. Summoners with very negative reputations will get punished.