[Help] Skarner Jungling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gooner1990

12-28-2011

Skarner is free this week, so I'm looking to try him out as a jungler. I can't find any good guide that incorporates the new jungle.

Can anyone gives me some advice on how to play him?

Cheers!

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2011

Attack Speed Marks and Glyphs, Flat Armor Seals, and Armor Pen Quints

21/9/0 for fastest jungling times, but you can tailor this to suit your personal desires.

Start Regrowth to build into Philo Stone, pick up whatever boots you need, get a Wit's End then work on Aegis. Build Trinity Force starting with Sheen into Zeal. Build whatever you need defensively at this point, finishing Philo into a Shurelia's when you feel you want the added HP and active.

I use Ghost and Smite. Flash works too, but Ghost lets you pull things around farther.

killerb0y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-28-2011

Guide by TheOddOne, the jungler for Team SoloMid:
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=13232

thepantsparty

12-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverLaxx View Post
I use Ghost and Smite. Flash works too, but Ghost lets you pull things around farther.
flash + ult can result in EPIC ganks for Skarner, but you really have to know what you're doing to execute it properly

RapidOffensive

12-29-2011

I've been playing him a lot recently.

I take 0/21/9 (better than 21/0/9 I started with).

AS reds, flat armor yellows, MR blues and Heath Quints.

Smite and either Flash or Ghost.

He is best built quite tanky early.

With 21 in defence and defensive runes there is no need to slow your key items down with Philos etc - take boots of speed and 3 HP's to start and get a leash for blue. Blue is key for him as his jungling is mana intensive.

Skarner jungles fast and if you just do a straight run you will have enough gold for Mercs and Sapphire by the time blue buff is back down and you are OOM. You will have more spare if you manage a sucessful gank.

First skill is q, then e (for the sustain in jungle). Then it's R>Q>W>E when skilling up.

Once he hits 6 his ult (combined with flash or ghost) makes ganks easy and he clears lanes or jungle really quickly too. He can 1v1 any non melee toon once he gets into range and his W means he has added speed to gank/get away as needed.

I always get Mercs first (unless other team is light on cc in which case it's Boots (3)) and then sapphire - after that it depends - usually sheen and then glacial (for armor, mana and CD reduce) and grab a negatron (which I usually build into abyssal to pump up Q dmg a lot). Alternatively items like Hex Drinker and Aegis also work well with him.

After that you can stack more health/mitigation - Sunfire/Warmogs etc or go more aggro with Gunblade...

T3cK

12-29-2011

I go with a very different setup than the "cookie cutter jungle" idea.

Runes: I take 6 AS marks, 3 ArPen marks, flat armor seals, MR/lv glyphs and 2 ArPen and 1 AS quint. This helps out a lot early game in the jungle and for cutting down peoples armor with early ganks.

Masteries: 15-15-0, giving a good balance between killing power and early tankiness.

Route: I start with cloth+5pots, take wolves, blue, wraiths, doubles, red, wraiths and then either look for a gank or recall.

Items: Build cloth armor into madreds, but prioritize basic boots over wriggles because you need to close the gap quickly for your permaslow Q. After wriggles grab a sheen and a zeal. Next item is a heart of gold for the extra income and a null magic mantle or cloth armor/chain vest, depending on who is hurting you the most. Finish your trinity, and work on attack speed and defenses. Good items are Wits End, Randuins, Force of Nature, Guardian Angel and Banshees. I would round it out replacing Wriggles with Atmas or a Gunblade, though I have seen other Skarners get things like Black Cleaver or Bloodthirster.

Skilling Order (to 18): Q-W-Q-E-Q-R-Q-W-Q-W-R-E-W-W-R-E-E. Fracture isn't that great and it's mainly used after a gank to regen some health. By the time you get into those serious life-or-death all-out ganks, you'll be tanky enough where 1 or 2 points in fracture will sustain your healing.

Challenges: 1. Teams having no idea how to coordinate ulti ganks. 2. People think skarner is a main tank, and while he can sub in, he doesn't have a very safe or viable initiation. He's mainly the focus after the tank dies/leaves in a drawn-out teamfight. 3. He gets focused ALOT. 4. Counterjungling will wreck you because until you get Trinity, you are mana-starved beyond belief. Keep an eye on your buffs and grab either blue when its up (unless you have it already at which case give it to your carries). 5. Hard to prioritize with your ulti. One thing that I've found to help is to lock down the major damage dealer. What people don't realize is while it's on a 70ish second cooldown at level 3, it's more like 25 because of all your autoattacking in the jungle and in teamfights (which reduce the cooldowns on his other moves as well).

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me ingame.

Hope this helps!

T3cK