Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Magic, and How it Works

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

12-28-2011

Recently, I joined the discussion on a thread that was trying to determine the limit of Runeterran magic. It boiled down pretty quick, coming to 'infinite, if they hadn't wrecked the world first.' So fast.

And then 1Eredale, a good friend of mine from RPs, mentioned that he might make a guide to magic, etc. So, of course, I had to make one first.

It'll be relatively short for now, but later on, it'll get bigger.

Magic is, essentially, the control of energy. There are multiple mediums through which to gain access to this energy, which will be boiled down through this guide. I present to you...MAGIC, AND HOW IT WORKS!

A good place to start is the Arcane branch of magic. Also known as 'Elemental' magics, Arcane magic uses the eleven basic elements that make up the world. Those eleven elements go as follows:

THE NATURAL ELEMENTS
Light
Darkness
Fire
Ice
Earth
Wind
Lightning
Water
THE MANMADE ELEMENTS
Steel
Poison
Bacon

At 'bacon,' you probably sentenced this to the 'troll' catergory. You are very mistaken. Bacon is a very powerful element, as it can do almost anything, and is man-made; therfore, it classifies.

Anyways, most branches of magic can come off of these eleven bases. Here are the basics:
Light Mages
Necromancers
Pyromancers
Cryomancers
Geomancers
Wind Mages
Theurgists
Hydromancers
Inventors
Assassins
Cooks
The last three, since any human has access to poison, steel, and bacon, are day-to-day things.

Now, we will be getting into advanced magic classes, branching off of the eleven basic elements. These are generally magics that utilize multiple elements at once.

Archmage: A person who can control all eleven at once.
Techmaturge/Technomancer: A person who controls steel, electricity, and fire. Steel is the body of Techmaturgy, Electrcity powers cheaper devices and is currently being looked into for becoming more efficient, and Fire is magically conjured to power steam engines.
Paladin: A person who controls light and steel. A simple warrior with control over light.
Deathknights: A person who controls darkness and steel. The opposite of a Paladin.
Dragonslayers: A person who controls flame, poison, and steel. They need immunity against flame to stand against dragons, and they specialize in Dragonbane, an anti-dragon poison.
And the list can go on.

The next list is so-called 'Myth' magic. These are magics that, although not tangible elements, are still necessary for existence. They go along these lines:

MYTH MAGIC:
Life
Death
Time
Space
Soul
Spirit
Void
Blood

It's far shorter than the Arcane list, and it doesn't have a 'balance' system; i.e, a system where each element has an elemental opposite. Although some, like life and death, have opposites, others, like Void and Blood, have none. Some of these 'myth' magics have interesting systems, that make them far more difficult to control than 'arcane' magics. For example:

Life: Although possible to bring golems, corpses, and inanimate objects 'life,' it is high near impossible to give them a 'soul,' or sentience. This is every life-bringer's dream.
Death: Although it is possible to instantly kill someone, it is relatively difficult to remove their soul, which can complicate things.
Time: It naturally moves in one direction, forwards, so only a powerful mage can cause it to move backwards.
Space: It naturally does not want to be concentrated, so only a powerful mage can create wormholes or folds in space.
Soul: Since every soul is unique, it can take an entirely new set of studying just to control a new one.
Spirit: Since no one is exactly sure what 'spirit' is, very few are actually able to control it. Some say it's just an offshoot of Soul magic.
Void: Void is the presence and absence of all things. It is a paradox, so it only can be controlled if it allows itself to be. It is practically a living creature.
Blood: The most tangible of the 'Myth' elements. It is also the simplest. It can either be used as a weapon itself, which is how Hemomancers use it, or it can be used for rituals, which is how Blood Mages use it.

Myth elements are far more powerful individually than any of the Arcane elements. If someone had control over all of them at once, as some few mages do over the Arcane, it would make them a so-called 'god' who is able to twist time, space, life, death, and souls all at once, as well as the others, which come up less often in the status of a god. But almost noone (Except a god) can actually do that, so there is no danger.

Please, suggest ways to improve this list.

-Jaykoboy-

Vulking

12-28-2011

Arcane magic not listed
Non Elemental magic not listed*
Time Magic not Listed**
Space/Gravity Magic not listed**

* Depending of the classification Non Elemental Magic can be considered Arcane Magic but some make the distinction other don't.

** Time and Space in theory should be basically the same Magic but in the league there is a clear distinction between Mages that can control time (Zilean) and Mages that can control space/gravity (Veigar).

PlayGooYa

12-28-2011

A list is unnecessary. You said it best. It does whatever the writers want it to do. Which is everything and anything.

It made Blitzcrank a true AI. It made an armadillo sentient. Same with an monkey and a fox. It allows you to shoot frost arrows or you can use it as a guidance system for hextech missiles.

Fenix12345

12-28-2011

^ , besides, I always believed in a modified Pentagram of Magic. Fire, Water, Earth, Air and Spirit are the five elements at the points and each face represents the governing forces of Light and Darkness, from the top it's a Pentagram of Light, but flip it over and it's a Pentagram of Darkness. It's simple, easy to understand and in my opinion it encompasses all magics.

Irongrinder

12-28-2011

It's possible that Life and/or Death can be considered elements to be added to your list. However, I agree with PlayGooYa; a list isn't really needed, as the Loremasters will continue to stretch the envelope with what magic can or can't do.

PlayGooYa

12-28-2011

There's no indication that Runeterrans do or could make meaningful distinctions between "elements." Nobody really regards fire/earth/water/air to be an element in real-life Earth anymore just because some dead philosopher said so once upon a time.

I'd guess it's the same for Runeterrans. Fire is just combustion reaction. You can make it with magic or do it the boring old way with fuel and a spark. Similarly you can shoot a guy with bullets with perfectly ordinary gunpowder, but you could probably do the same with telekinetic powers that you got by meditating really hard (or whatever).

Lux shoots intense beams of light. But then again, you could probably do the same with a big enough magnifying glass or a parabolic dish with your target placed at the optimal focal length. Or you could make a laser gun (if lasers are what she's actually shooting). Magic is just the easy technological means to making such things viable without recourse to less sophisticated technologies.

In real life, lasers aren't viable weapons because of effects like plasma bloom and the large amount of machinery required to make it work. Archimedes also theorized a weapon using parabolic dishes to burn invading ships, though realistically, they're not going to sit politely while you try to focus your dish and you're not likely to generate enough power to really do anything (because things like mist and air will refract light). And again, even if you did have sufficient power, dumping that much into the air will change its composition enough to cause refraction (the aforementioned plasma bloom). Any time light enters a medium of a different composition, it's going to bend. It's pretty much what happens when light hits water. Same goes for light going from air to different air, to water droplets or into plasma.

TL;DR
Magic does what it does because it's cool. If you want lasers, then magic is just the excuse to let Lux shoot them off as her ult.

In Runeterra, magic is powerful and versatile. It's why it's capable of causing an apocalypse. It's too easy.

Cidem1324

Web Content Assistant

12-29-2011

If you read the manga Fairy Tail, they have an interesting take on magic:

http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/FairyTail249/251550-13.html

I'll paraphrase:

"It doesn't matter if you say the true origin of magic is 'Darkness.' It doesn't matter if you say it's 'Light' either. Magic is alive. Its place changes and it grows over time. Magic is anything you can think of. It can be felt in infinite ways... As Light, as Darkness, as Red, or as Blue. And it is living freely, together with us."

In short, the magic you use is who you are, and what you chose to be. I imagine that's how magic in the LoL universe works as well.

ReaverKing

12-29-2011

All Runeterran magic needs is the "Fullmetal Alchemist" treatment and some "Ed Greenwood"-style magic that isn;t so much dependant on rules, as it is on a few basic principles to enable Suspension of Disbelief.

It's what I like to call "Jazz Hands" magic.

Ìn other words, its not some arcane set of alternate physics equations where the normal laws of reality can be circumvented through study and effort of will. That is what you might call "Magical Laws``

Whereas any time you circumvent an inconvenient argument by waving your hands and saying "It's Magic!" in the same way you might point at a lopsided school project and say "Ta Da!" is ``Jazz Hands`` magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8pbFY3f54

ReaverKing

12-29-2011

If you want to get really technical, all Runeterran magic needs to do violate Newton's third law and allow for easy conversion of mass into enegry and vice versa.

At that point everything else is physics:

Viegar manipulates gravity and produces singularities just as easily as Zilean bends time and Ryze and Ezerial hurl untyped "plasma" blasts. Magicians can do it either telepathically, through study and application of "science" (aka techmaturgy) or some quirk of biology which explains much of the Yordle "technology" functioning at all let alone not exploding and taking half the continent with them. Al biology is Chemistry and all Chemistry is physics. If Summoners are able to able to affect sub-atomic changes on a grand scale via "free" energy the side-effects of any large-scale use of magic would be even more tremendous. (i.e. apparently the ``Sunfire`` is something real that has laid entire city-states to ruin and is a frequent visitor to Demacia)

However, casually violating the "normal" mass-energy laws has unintended side effects such as massive releases of heat, increased combustion byproducts in the atmosphere and the Void only knows what kinds of orbital or even dimensional perturbations that may or may not rip apart reality as we know it.

It is supposedly for this reason that the League of Legends polices all matters magical on Valoran now, and is supposedly trying to reduce the impact of magic by using specially-designed "Fields of Justice" to prevent the residual energies from careless/inefficient use of magic from contaminating the rest of Valoran.

How this is actually done has never been explained and whether or not this generates or consumes magical energy is also unclear. (i.e. where does the toxic waste go now.)

Jaykoboy

12-29-2011

At all the posts saying I left out magic; if you look at the bottom of the OP, it says that it will grow. I'd just finished the 'minor' magics. I was about to get to 'myth' magics, as I call them.

And yeah, magic does what it does because yes, it is cool as heck. But, if you break it all down, you can get it down to a SCIENCE!

Sorry, I must say SCIENCE! like SCIENCE! because it makes it far more fun to say.

Anyways, as the list will constantly be growing, as magic is constantly expanding, would anyone have any recommendations?