[Guide]Xin Zhao - How I play him.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krath4

07-14-2010

I've seen alot of bad rap on the bad Xin Zhaos in ranked queue. This isn't how I expect his 'top build' will be in the next few months, but I'm just trying to cut down on the bad Xin Zhaos by posting what works for me. This guide is for laning Xin, as I haven't gone pure jungling with him yet.

An Intro on Skills:

Three Talon Strike - Xin Zhao's next 3 standard attacks deal increased damage, with the third attack knocking an opponent into the air.

Your bread and butter skill. Low mana cost, increased damage, and a knockup on the third hit. Combined with Xin's high Attack Speed, this skill will quickly incapacitate your opponent.

Battle Cry - Xin Zhao passively increases his attack speed and can activate this skill to double the passive bonus and lower his cooldowns by 1 second each attack he makes.

It's 15% increased Attack Speed at level 1, and an extra 5% every level. For that reason, I like to get this skill first. It's very useful combined with Three Talon Strike, and makes taking down towers a breeze.

Audacious Charge - Xin Zhao charges an enemy, dealing damage and slowing the target and all enemies in the area.

Unlike other charge skills, this can't be used to get away from enemies unless you're close to minions. However, it's still very useful, slows, and gives you a great setup for your ultimate.

Crescent Sweep - Xin Zhao fiercely sweeps his spear around him, dealing damage to nearby enemies based on their current health, then increases his Armor and Magic Resistance for a while afterwards.

This is going to be your main skill. It deals flat damage + a large percent of your targets current health. It deals MASSIVE damage to squishies and is a great fight opener after you use Audacious Charge to get close. It's on a low cooldown and should be used often. It also makes you incredibly bulky for about 7 seconds after using it.

Masteries:

Offensive
3/3 Deadliness
1/3 Archmage's Savvy (Unless you're going to use Exhaust, then get Cripple)
4/4 Sorcery
4/4 Alacrity
1/1 Archaic Knowledge
1/1 Burning Embers (If you're using Ignite, like me)
3/3 Sunder
3/3 Lethality
1/1 Havoc

Utility
3/3 Perseverance
1/1 Haste
4/4 Expanded Mind
1/2 Utility Mastery

Runes:

Quintessences: Flat Health or Armor Pen, it's personal choice.
Glyphs: I personally use flat Cooldown glyphs, but its personal choice.
Seals: Flat mana regen. Xin uses mana, and you're going to need some form of mana regen to keep up.
Marks: Flat Armor Penetration.

Spells:

Ignite/Exhaust/Cleanse
Ghost

Xin's main role is DPS. Contrary to popular belief Xin Zhao is not a tank. He's a beefy DPS. He has excellent survival skills, especially after he uses his ult. Ignite and Exhaust both help you get kills, but later game you won't use Exhaust much because you'll be able to chase down anyone.

Skills by Level:

1. Battle Cry
2. Three Talon Strike
3. Audacious Charge
4. Battle Cry
5. Three Talon Strike
6. Crescent Sweep
7. Battle Cry
8. Three Talon Strike
9. Battle Cry
10. Three Talon Strike
11. Crescent Sweep
12. Battle Cry
13. Three Talon Strike
14. Audacious Charge
15. Audacious Charge
16. Crescent Sweep
17. Audacious Charge
18. Audacious Charge

Battle Cry and TTS are your staples. I tend to leave Charge for last since leveling it up only increases damage and cooldown lowers, and your main use for it is to get in close for Crescent Sweep.

Items:

Doran's Shield
Mercury Treads (If you didn't get Cleanse, and maybe even if you did)
Madred's Razor -> Wriggle's Lantern
Recurve Bow -> Stark's Fervor
Phage/Giant's Belt -> Frozen Mallet
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Last Whisper or Madred's Bloodrazor

Doran's Shield gives early game staying power, especially combined with your passive. Mercury Treads are a must since Xin is still a melee carry. Wriggle's Lantern is the new item, and it's incredibly useful. It's basically an enhanced Madred's Razor and comes with a free ward every 3 minutes. Xin is also a great candidate for Stark's, because the Attack Speed and Lifesteal both benefit him greatly. Frozen Mallet gives you some extra chasing power, health, and lets you get Three Talon Strike off very easy. Guinsoo's Rageblade has great synergy with you, seeing as it adds more damage, and lets you quite easily hit 2 attacks per second. Finally, if the game is still going on, a Last Whisper or Bloodrazor will go a long way.

The Actual Guide:

First of all, Xin is very VERY good early game. With his passive and a Doran's Shield, he can stay in lane for a very long time, even against ranged characters. The correct way to lane with Xin is to make the enemy be scared to come close. If you see an opening, Charge in, and use Three Talon Strike to wail on them. Don't give them any breathing room and keep them off the minions as best as you can.

Once you hit level 5-6 and got your Razor, you can do the Golem and Lizard quite easily. Xin rather needs the Golem alot since he can have mana problems, and Lizard drastically increases his DPS. Always grab both whenever you get a moment. Getting one on the way back to your lane is always smart. Xin can also do Dragon in about 30 seconds with Wriggle's Lantern.

Xin shouldn't be too far behind your initiator in teamfights. His ultimate, Crescent Sweep, WILL deal massive damage to anyone with less than 200 armor. As soon as the fight begins, Charge in, Crescent Sweep, then begin wailing on their squishies with your Three Talon Strike and Battle Cry. With the extra Armor and Mres from Crescent Sweep, you will be tanky enough to survive anything less than complete focus fire.

Xin also makes an excellent pusher and tower beater. Late game, you'll easily have 1.5+ attacks per second, and with Audacious Charge, you can clear minion waves in seconds. Your naturally high Attack Speed also makes you able to take down a full health tower in roughly 15-20 seconds, and even less once you get Guinsoo's.

Finally, settle into your own playstyle with him. There's lots of ways to play Xin Zhao, but this is just the way I do it. Feel free to change around the items, go jungling sooner, whatever. One build doesn't work for everyone.

Closing:

Well, hopefully this guide will make people stop banning Xin Zhao every single ranked match, as he is a highly effective beefy DPS in the right hands. With a bit of practice he'll be great.

Recognizee

07-14-2010

Could you maybe add to your guide like what skills you get first? like in a specific order you see in most guides.

Krath4

07-14-2010

Done.

Shatney

07-14-2010

Thanks for the great guide!

I've been having wild success with Xin Zhao so far, although I haven't played any game with him yet that have lasted long.

Just followed your guide in a game, did outstanding, although I got Audacious Charge first and managed to first blood the enemy Xin Zhao at level 1 with Ryze backing me up.

Very fun champion so far.

EarsOfRage

07-14-2010

I build a Atk Speed and Armour pentration build.

His skills benefit from attack speed, and 1v1, if he doesnt take a stun, you cant stop him. His Q skills, with E on, can be used twice in an extremely short period.

FateAvrnicus

07-14-2010

Well done, I played Xin Zhao very similar like you, but I level Charge and leave Battle Cry 1 lvl til last because the cooldown and aspd is best for late game. The damage and cooldown increased with Charge will make a crazy burst dmg capable of taking down squishies from full HP. Item build The only items that I doubted is Guinsoo Rageblade since Xin doesn't benefit that much from AP IMO (Need more testing on this). Overall I think Xin is OP and will need a bit rebalanced. He's Top Tier champs in Season 1

Krath4

07-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatney View Post
Thanks for the great guide!

I've been having wild success with Xin Zhao so far, although I haven't played any game with him yet that have lasted long.

Just followed your guide in a game, did outstanding, although I got Audacious Charge first and managed to first blood the enemy Xin Zhao at level 1 with Ryze backing me up.

Very fun champion so far.
Glad I could help.

Deusvar

07-14-2010

He's probably only top tier because people haven't worked out how to counter him properly.

Once they do though I'll stop winning everything with him >.>

Edit: I'll be giving this guide a go tomorrow, but right now I've been going towards starks from the start, move 3 boots, Frozen mallet and after that I've been mixing it up. Its working fairly well so far.

Wrath917

Recruiter

07-14-2010

i definitely agree with most of your guide in saying that xin is much better beefy melee fighter rather than main tank (also ive found wriggle's lantern to be extremely effective)

why do you get battle cry first though? the active is largely worthless since youre not refreshing anything else, is the attack speed bonus worth the loss of the cc you get from taking either of the other two moves?

LTSmoist

07-14-2010

Greater Seals of Replenishment(0.41 mp5) = Greater Seals of Clarity(Scaling 0.1 mp5) at level 4. Might want to go with scaling mana regen seals. Much more bang for your buck seeing that they equal a meki at level 8.