Well...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rorii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2011

My acne has finally reached the point where it's so bad that I'm ashamed to leave the house. I've tried washing my face, diet changes, clean pillow cases, everything. Nothing works. My mom won't take me to a dermatologist because she says "It's not bad enough to go on medication".

Sure, it's part of being a teenager and whatever the hell else, but hardly anyone else I know has it, any NO ONE I know has it worse than me.

TheTinyTinyHippo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2011

Hippo has clear skin. Doesn't know your pain. :< But will send you loves regardless.

Scarlena

12-26-2011

My acne didn't overwhelm my face, but it was very painful. When I went to a dermatologist they described as something weird... That basically meant it hurt. Anyway, I would highly recommend going to a dermatologist. If that's not an option, I suggest buying an acne system- not just a single product- and really doing it. Every single morning and night, every single step. After I stopped taking medication my acne returned (less severe) and I manage it with three step systems (plural because I've tried a few). If you can't afford a system ($20 for cheaper ones at Target/Wal Mart), get hydrocortisone cream and apply it to the infected areas twice a day, after washing it with soap. After the cream has dried, use lotion (it'll help keep your skin from getting dry/flaky, which'll make the bad areas look worse). The cream is because acne is a bacterial infection, and hydrocortisone kills bacteria. However, this will be hard on your skin so I don't suggest it unless you really can't afford anything else.

If you go with a system, I cannot stress enough the importance of continuing it religiously, even if you think it's not working. Your skin works in cycles, so the medication will take at least two weeks to truly take effect.

Also, gets some Visine (the eye redness stuff) and put it on your acne when you really want it to be less noticeable (NOT no a regular basis). It'll reduce the redness. Keep in mind this is drying to your skin, so I suggest lotion after the Visine has air-dryed.

Rorii

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlena View Post
My acne didn't overwhelm my face, but it was very painful. When I went to a dermatologist they described as something weird... That basically meant it hurt. Anyway, I would highly recommend going to a dermatologist. If that's not an option, I suggest buying an acne system- not just a single product- and really doing it. Every single morning and night, every single step. After I stopped taking medication my acne returned (less severe) and I manage it with three step systems (plural because I've tried a few).
What system did you use exactly to clear it up?

Scarlena

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorii View Post
What system did you use exactly to clear it up?
Target carries a line of cosmetics from London... The brand is 'Boots'. From that brand, I use the 'Expert' line of products, which includes a 'foaming wash', a toner, a serum, and a lotion. The first three products are in white bottles with green words, and the last is white and purple. I warn you, if you're a guy, you will feel very homosexual buying these products. I think I spent around $25 total and it's lasted... Like.... Three months?

SmokingJoeNL

12-26-2011

I used to have bad skin. Also used to eat tons of candy and fast food and drink a lot of beer and sodas whithout seeing the connection. Don't know if it's the same with you, but when I stopped eating **** and drank tons of water instead of beer and sodas, it got a lot better.

Rorii

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlena View Post
Target carries a line of cosmetics from London... The brand is 'Boots'. From that brand, I use the 'Expert' line of products, which includes a 'foaming wash', a toner, a serum, and a lotion. The first three products are in white bottles with green words, and the last is white and purple. I warn you, if you're a guy, you will feel very homosexual buying these products. I think I spent around $25 total and it's lasted... Like.... Three months?
Oh... I'm Canadian, so we actually don't have Target. I'll look around though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingJoeNL View Post
I used to have bad skin. Also used to eat tons of candy and fast food and drink a lot of beer and sodas whithout seeing the connection. Don't know if it's the same with you, but when I stopped eating **** and drank tons of water instead of beer and sodas, it got a lot better.
I'm by no means overweight (125 pounds) and I don't eat very much fast food, or drink many carbonated beverages. I don't eat much at all, but I'll try drinking more water. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
Do you drink a lot of milk? Try cutting that out of your diet. When I went to college I basically stopped drinking milk and 90% of my acne cleared up in 2 months.
Thank you very much! I'll try that. I don't like milk that much anyways. It is milk-based things or just milk in liquid form?

Dobagoh

12-26-2011

Do you drink a lot of milk? Try cutting that out of your diet. When I went to college I basically stopped drinking milk and 90% of my acne cleared up in 2 months.

Sailor Cosmos

12-26-2011

Yup, "step systems" work well. I never had severe acne, but I did get 1 or 2 cystic acne whenever my period came around, a.k.a. menstrual acne.

1. Cleanser - You don't necessarily need one that belongs to a kit. Just find one that works well for you. I use the Clinique soap bar. I prefer the bar over the foam because it lasts a lot longer and does exactly what it's supposed to.

Without soap container: http://www.clinique.com/product/1673/4792/Skincare/Cleansers_Makeup_Removers/Facial-Soap/index.tmpl

With soap container: http://www.clinique.com/product/1673/5760/Skincare/Cleansers_Makeup_Removers/Acne-Solutions-Cleansing-Bar-for-Face-and-Body/index.tmpl

I also use a facial brush with my cleanser. GET ONE! It removes dead skin cells, removes blackheads (seriously), and makes your skin incredibly smooth. There's a brand that sells a product called the Clearsonic. Don't get that; it's like $200+ and the same damn results as a $2 facial brush.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facial-Clean-Brush-Face-Cleaning-Washing-Skin-Care-Beauty-Tool-/270879472758?pt=AU_Face_Care&hash=item3f11acbc76

I only use it once a day because it's not healthy to exfoliate your face too much (it can cause damage). You may want to do it less than that. Start off very gentle and eventually your face will get used to it. Also, don't scrub super hard. I found that scrubbing gently in the same area for 10 seconds had the same effects as scrubbing hard and fast, but without the irritation.

2. Toner - Again, don't need one that belongs in a kit, just need one that's effective for your skin type. Lemon juice works fine for a toner. I use Clinique, and lemon juice from time to time.

http://www.clinique.com/product/1682/15502/Skincare/Exfoliators_Masks/New-Clarifying-Lotion-2/index.tmpl

3. Moisturizer - After all that washing, you need to put back what you took away: moisture. Don't need one that belongs in a kit, just one that's effective. Clinique is known to have one of the best moisturizers ever and I can vouch for that. It leaves my skin dewy, unlike most other moisturizers that just absorb and your face feels dry two minutes later. It's really fantastic.

http://www.clinique.com/product/1687/6112/Skincare/Moisturizers/Dramatically-Different-Moisturizing-Lotion/With-Cap/index.tmpl

There are different kinds for every skin type, so you can browse the website to customize for your skin. You can also find these products on eBay for cheaper too.

4. Scar Cream - This step is optional. I usually apply some off-brand scar cream (no need to dish out $30 for Mederma, they all work well) to a blemish to help speed up the healing process.

Also, diet and exercise help a lot too. Drink lots of water, consume lots of veggies and fruits and work out at least 30 minutes a day, which can be just walking, even.

Jaykoboy

12-26-2011

Huh. Well, I was going to suggest a workout regimen and weight loss system, but you say you're 125 lbs. So...what works for me would kill you.

But just follow the above advice. Although it didn't reduce my acne, it DID help me keep it under control once I lost enough weight to stop getting acne constantly.

Good luck on your search!