How come no one plays Swain?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Steelark

12-27-2011

I've been playing LoL for a few months now, and I've only seen one Swain other than me. I guess it's pretty nice to not have to deal with having the same champs on both teams, but I find him a pretty decent champ and I'm wondering why I never see anyone else play him.

Bendial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2011

I never play him because his limp drives me crazy...but I do think he has one of the coolest ultimates in the game. But yeah, unfortunately I just can't get past the limp, LoL champs to me should feel a little bad a**, not crippled

NakedGranny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2011

Swain has incredible potential, but he's also incredibly difficult. Nevermove is all but impossible to actually land against anyone who has played more than a hundred matches, his AP ratios prevent him from hard-carrying his team even if he's fed, and he needs many uncommon items to shore up his weaknesses (namely, his mana, cooldowns and need for tank).

he has almost unparalleled versatility in his kit, but it's frustratingly difficult to make good use him just because of how extreme his restrictions are. Ignite and the DFG are all but required to even play him, and he's easy to shut down, relatively speaking.

he's capable of being a solid tanky-mage, yes, but the rewards for playing him perfectly aren't nearly as high as almost any other champion currently in the game.

Steelark

12-27-2011

Nevermore can be a pain to land, but there's ways around that. Decrepify for example, slows down whoever you hit with it. There's also Rylai's scepter which can be pretty useful with Torment in terms of slowing. But above all, nothing really beats running out from the jungle and hitting them with Nevermore. Unless they have wards set up everywhere (which they don't), they won't be expecting it.

I've actually never even used Ignite with Swain, but I guess I'll give it a go since you mentioned it(Thanks). And if you've got someone decent shutting down Swain shouldn't be so easy. For example, if I'm not being brain dead, I'll usually be pretty aware of what's going on and using Flash + Ravenous Flock (and maybe a bit of Nevermore for a stun) will get me out of almost anything. Nevermore is really easy to hit if you're being chased, and Ravenous Flock makes chasing Swain almost as bad as going after Singed.

The cool downs are a problem for me though. But I guess that's what team mates are for, right?

Keeperofstars

12-27-2011

all it takes is a tad bit of MR and swain quickly becomes a mute point, he has to be feed to do well, and his kit doesn't let him mass farm minions well, his key is early game ganking, if he fails to do this, then he never recovers. He has to have blue to be worth anything, and a smart team can shut him down. A banshee makes him pointless, cause you either can't snare them, OR you can't hit them with your damage boost, so you have to open with bird, your key single target damage, in hopes you get to apply damage boost and then snare, but at that point im out of your bird's range.

He relies on having a minon wave to survive off of, catch him in the jungle and he becomes a mute point, only good for a snare.

Thusly why most people don't play him, so many counters, and really so little damage,
even with flock up it's not hurting. outside of his torrement his ap ratios are dirt, you have to build up to 500 + AP to get any real damage out of swain, by then the game is over.

Also all it takes is an ignite, or executioners calling to shut him down 100%.
Eat an executioners and your ult heals you for near zero. meaning your down and out.

Now don't get me wrong swain can carry a game, seen it many times, but it's usually when mid fails to buy boots as first item. If they do he is shut down and becomes worth a tad more than afker.
So just too situational to be effective.

Emeraldw

12-27-2011

I haven't played swain much, but I either destroy or get destroyed with him. He hard counters some champions but gets hard-countered.

This is mainly top, as I find a mid swain isn't the best use of his powers. Especially since he lacks a stun of any kind. Against highly mobile champs it makes landing his W tough and his damage isn't high till he gets items.

I think Situational is the best way to describe him.

Fedolebouzon

12-27-2011

i dont think that swain is a bad champion. i always use him as a tanky-mage and i hurt the other team, but its true: if they have mr you are garbage. anyway i get sthing like 10/4/15 every match because i focus on lasthitting hard and killing poor mages with so little healthbar or noobs dps that follow me (except when they are fed. in that case i cant even aim the snare) but even getting 15/0/10 i cant carry any team cause of tanks and mr. but i think its not low ap ratios fault i think with a little more range it could be another story specialy with your poor mspeed.

d1ck101rocks

12-27-2011

swain is not bad though i find his attacks a little too weak.

King Of Heroz

12-27-2011

Swain is good tournament competitive play pick...
like a pick to counter or initiate while sustaining himself (past 6 talk)
in solo que...where you don't know what your playing against...
its harder...

Tyrang

12-27-2011

Downside: Very mana hungry (needs blue), Dmg out is lower than other AP

Upside: Crasy sustain

I think ppl put him in top lane cuz he lives forever, but then how do you give him blue if the mid needs the blue to win lane? U need a comp to make him work, like put Kennen in mid or something.