Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

"If you're not part of the solution,...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yndyr

12-26-2011

....you're part of the problem."

Obviously change is needed in the tribunal, there is no arguing that, and anyone who does is lieing. Change to the system is up to Riot, not the players. The rules, while completely up to interpretation by themselves, as a whole are unchanging, a permanent fixture of PVP.net.

Interpretation of the rules, however, is an ever-evolving view, one which is subject to the moods and meticulousness of the person judging a particular case. Rules are as fluid as the people who uphold them, and the people themselves are just ever-changing. A final judgement is made from a consensus of the limited number of people who vote on that case.

Cases are presented randomly to a group of people in some unknown formula that may or may not give bias in either direction to a certain type of reporter, a certain type of voter, or a certain type of player..yada yada yada. Everyone has an opinion on how it works. Forget them.

Comparing tribunal to the American justice system, as many do, a pool of jurists are selected based on varied random processes, and dwindled down to a select few who are appropriate for the case, determined by the two parties involved. The Tribunal does not do the same, leaving no last stage to filter out undesired opinions. This is a benefit to the community, and one thing that the tribunal unarguably got right. The majority opinion wins, and only those who uphold the privilege can contribute to any such opinion.

"If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

It doesn't get any clearer than that. If you feel the rules are being punished too harshly, than take the time to look at a case, specifically ones similar to the situations that got you banned, and pardon them. As it stands, the Tribunal is punishing players for the opinions of a majority, a majority that a significant part of the playerbase disagrees with. Counteract this with action, and go to the Tribunal, vote on the cases, and actively search for those situations where you hope someone would pardon if you were the accused, and pardon them. If enough people actually took the time to interpret the rules for themselves and vote accordingly, and actually put themselves in the place of the accused, as boring as it may be, than we wouldn't be seeing so many bans for what are arguably trivial incidences.

Barring mandatory votes or complete removal, there really is only two ways to alleviate this problem without community action.

A) Significantly reduce the time required to review cases, and ultimately complete the daily limit of cases.

This opens the tribunal up to many types of players, mainly those who don't put the time into tribunal because of the wait timer on obvious cases, the troubles with the captcha, and that it is not "Just a click away" from pvp.net. People who simply don't have enough time fall into this category. This would vastly increase the pool of jurists and ultimately get a more diversified interpretation of the rules, and this would be reflected in verdicts.

B) Make a single daily case for the entire voting population with public results, and have the reward for getting it right equalivant to what a successful voting spree rewards currently.

This will slow down the tribunal, but will significantly increase the amount of people who use it, and ultimately get a much better sample of popular opinion. Verdicts are unarguable, because evidence and opinion is presented to the entire community. Evidence in the form of the case, and interpretation of the situation lies with the entire community. This could be as simple as a checkbox on the front page of PVP.net.

However, Riot is not going to change it. If you want the tribunal to change, change the only thing you can, the interpretation of the rules, and ultimately the way tribunal punishes.

IndigoHawk

12-26-2011

I compare Tribunal to referees more than a justice system. Riot puts more effort into reviewing ref calls than most sports do, which is great.

I agree that more people should judge cases. Review the Summoner's Code, and have fun cleaning up the place!

SnowAbe

Recruiter

12-26-2011

Sadly most people who actually do the Tribunal do not read this forum, hence why it is usually the same people posting on here. I'm doing something completely different. I'm encouraging reports on people that say so much as noob, even if it was a joking manner, punishing on the Tribunal for the same reasons.

My master plan is that eventually everyone will have been banned once for no reason and then no one will talk in game and Riot will have to delete the Tribunal or risk losing its players.

Yndyr

12-26-2011

Quote:
SnowAbe:
Sadly most people who actually do the Tribunal do not read this forum, hence why it is usually the same people posting on here. I'm doing something completely different. I'm encouraging reports on people that say so much as noob, even if it was a joking manner, punishing on the Tribunal for the same reasons.

My master plan is that eventually everyone will have been banned once for no reason and then no one will talk in game and Riot will have to delete the Tribunal or risk losing its players.

It's a noble effort, but you are only contributing to the problem of false reports which turn into false bans.

The players that vote on the tribunal are a minority. They are not a good representation of the player base because they are such a small fraction, most of them carrying a certain fervor to punish and a need for vengeance. This opinion needs to be dwarfed by a system that actively includes every player, rather than being something "off to the side" of the game itself, thus giving a broader opinion of the player base, and with it comes a more refined interpretation of the rules.

powerbats

12-26-2011

I agree it can and should be improved.

However a larger base of tribunal voters would help.

Hopefully the actions of a few closed minded individuals who are out for nothing more than self gratification and causing problems for others get outweighed by those doing the best they can to better the community and the tribunal voting.