[BPCC champion concept] Zuki, the Zaun Package Boy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ModelT

03-26-2012

************************Edit Update************************
- Backstory edits
- Some minor errata
- Addition Champ Info in Playstyle

Still looking for somebody to critique my base stats... not sure if they're good or not. However, any input is good input.

Mojizuki

03-27-2012

Zuki looks like tons of fun with his Q and E (I totally dig the Megaman connection =D).

The first thing that I thought when I read that he was a package boy is that he has to have an ability named "Logistics." I was disappointed that he does not, though. Perhaps it could be the passive on his R (the movement bonus).

Ok, on to the abilities.

Innate - Cool Resolve - The name fits his character, totally focused on the task at hand. I think the tenacity is fair. No complaints on this one.

Q - Power Slide - Hell yes! Just picturing this in game makes me grin. I see you've lowered the AP scaling on this before, but I think you should raise it to 0.6 b/c the double hit is going to be pretty situational and it has a long cooldown. So, it would be a little better without the bounce back, but feel more rewarding when you do get that second hit. I like the range scaling and missile speed per rank on this one. Again this ability has excellent flavor, I really like it.

W - Special Delivery - Dropping one of these during a Power Slide will be very satisfying. I don't think you need to change anything on this, it looks balanced to me.

E - Light Double - This is very intriguing. I like that the clone does no damage. I think the cooldown and effect duration look good. Amazing utility, just amazing. I hate Wukong Decoys so I know I'll hate playing against this. Nicely done.

R - Rocket Boots - The passive is good, but I'm not into the active. When I read that Zuki's boots were unstable, I was hoping for an ability that captures that instability. While this effect is solid, I don't think it fits the flavor of the concept very well. Maybe you could rework it into something more "volatile" and "hazardous" and less predictable. I don't mean random exactly, but rather, an effect that feels unstable, as if his Rocket Boots could short circuit or go haywire. I would suggest something spammable, either with a short cooldown like Kog'maw's ult, or that can be used a few times in succession before going on cooldown, like Ahri and Xerath.

Backstory - This is good. It's funny that he entered the League accidentally. I like that. Change rouge to rogue in the second sentence; and describe his uncle's business as "lucrative, successful, or profitable" instead of stable. I don't think anything about Zuki should be "stable" aside from his focus on running packages.

Appearance - I like the backwards hat and alternate skins.

Play Style - The knockup, blind, and clone give great utility. He should add a lot to his team and be fun to play. You describe Zuki as being possibly tanky, but later state that he has general low defenses. This seems like a disagreement to me. Could you address it, please?

Summary - Zuki's Innate, Q, W, and E really capture the feel of his character and I think they're all great. Maybe buff the AP scaling on Q by 0.1. Try reworking the active on R into something that feels more unstable or volatile; preferably a quasi-spammable ability, since none of his other abilities have short cooldowns.

It would be nice to use Lichbane on Zuki, b/c of the movement speed and hit/run damage spike it adds. But his shortest cooldown is Special Delivery at rank 5 (10 seconds), and that isn't a strong fit for the Sheen proc.

4/5 Really good job except for the ult.

ModelT

03-31-2012

Awesome, and thank you for the minor corrections in the back story. So a few things you wanted to know about.

First, my favorite topic. The "tankyness" and the bit about raising the AP scaling on his Q. The scaling on his moves is a bit high for the effects, but the base damage scaling is a bit lower. With his high speed, his kit is build intensive. If you go pure AP, it is rewarding damage output and control. Pure tank build, rewarding sustainability, enemy team control, and more speed from Tanky items. Pure AD... I see this working, with low scaling on the moves, relying on the CC effects for fights and attacking. Either way, Pure AD/AP, you will need to splash some of the survivability items from those categories to make it work. Is is very much NOT a hybrid champion though. His kit screams AP though, but the other options are there because of his somewhat versatile kit on top of his high speed, and I wanted to make his kit versatile (IE lower base scaling, higher AP) because of his speed.

Now, about his Ult. Yes. You're absolutely right. I came up with an idea while reading your post, but some input would be nice. It would be his Ult with a catch, up the channel time (2 seconds), BUT, if the channel is interrupted, his ult triggers immediatly, dealing the 50% damage to all surrounding units around where Zuki was channeling (Change the description/base damage so that it deals double damage to the target...), knocking back all surrounding enemies, without the better effect on the target, since that part of the ability was canceled.

ModelT

07-21-2012

****BUMP****

Because I finally got a new computer (after months without one) and thought of an awesome add on to his Rocket Boots ability that made it way more fun and unstable (Thank you Mojizuki). Also added some quotes and what his dance it. If you don't know what jump dancing is.... follow this link...

Here

Petyr Baelish

07-30-2012

Passive: This just doesn't feel noticeable, especially at low levels. It is basically just "Zuki has Tenacity", nothing interesting going on. He should have something the tenacity scales off of, like how Irelia's passive scales off nearby enemies. This adds nothing to his game play as is.

Q: What is the knock up duration? Also, after bouncing once, can he pass through walls? If used between two walls, it could serve as a wall jumping skill. How does this interact with Anivia, Jarvan and Trundle? Also, as this appears to be the most defining spell of his kit, why is the cooldown so long? It is very strong for an escape, but at a 20 second cooldown it can only be used once in a fight, meaning if you initiate with it it won't be up in time to use it as a chase/escape.
My solution would be to have the cooldown reduced by 2 or 3 seconds for each enemy hit, meaning the cooldown is long while running away or chasing a single enemy, but short after using it to initiate. I would say 1 second is a balanced knock up duration, but if you were imagining something different you can get away with it by tweaking the numbers a little.
Also, the animation will be wierd when you go for the double hit, you are passing under an enemy a good distance above you, yet you still deal damage, and I am assuming there is some sort of dust cloud animation with an impact sound effect. Maybe on the second hit, he could do some awesome animation to show that he deals double damage, like doing a flip into the air and kicking the enemy unit midair.

W: This appears to be his main source of damage, and I like the design. However, it seems very dependent on reflexes and a good internet connection, if you are lagging just a little bit it becomes far worse. I see Zuki dashing under an enemy, dropping a box directly under them, and leaving them to fall on the box right as it arms itself. While this gives him reliable damage, it also is negated by very slight lag. I would implement some system where the game tests the speed at which it can relay information between your keyboard and the game server, then accounts for the difference and places the box where it would have been.

E: As a fan of epic jukes, I dislike this ability. It reminds me of LeBlanc's passive, it seems awesome but it never does much. If you want a long duration duplicate that deals no damage, give it some other effect. Like being able to hold [alt] and press [w] to place a package at your duplicate's location. It also adds a lot of unnecessary difficulty to a naturally difficult champion. I would reduce the duration to 3 seconds flat and make it uncontrollable, it would go to the target location and stand still until it expired. It would have the same juking potential, but it would not require the effort of controlling two units at once. I would also move the passive move speed increase from the ult to the E to encourage leveling it, it could give 10/15/20/25/30 increased movespeed. Alternatively, make the duplicate able to deal damage, either by attacking, using spells while holding alt, or reactivating e to detonate it.

R: This ability reminds me of Xin Zhao's new ult, where you can push away all but one target enemy. However, unlike Xin, Zuki is not a single target fighter, in fact, his abilities are better when all the enemies are grouped together. If you are using this ability to initiate, the knockback is an anticombo, as you want to drop your package and knock them up for the escape, dealing strong AoE damage and letting your AD carry pick up the kills on enemies that are popped up and soon to be blinded. I don't know why you gave it a channel time, Zuki does not seem like one to stand still. I would change the ability considerably, making it area target AoE, dealing full damage to everyone (possibly more in the center) and applying a 0.5 second stun to everyone hit, then applying a 100% slow that fades to 0% over 3 seconds (unaffected by diminishing returns). Reduce the AoE to compensate, and remove the channel.

After reading the full design thoroughly, I would change the passive to give him tenacity while moving. After moving for 1 second, he gains 12 + Level Tenacity until he stops moving. Additionally, if he crosses his own path from less than 500 units ago, it resets the 1 second charge timer. This prevents him from walking back and forth over his own tracks. For the animation he can leave a trail of blue behind him that goes for 500 units. Additionally, the bonus cannot be lost while using Power Slide.

My last comment is about his attack animation. He is a melee yordle without a weapon, does he just hit with his special gloves? That seems uncharacteristic of this cool speedy yordle.

woopyfrood

07-30-2012

Holy **** Riot. Make this champ.

Rukhron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2012

I just loved the lore!

Seriously... there is nothing there I'd change about his story. In fact, it is so unique and funny i wish he was done right away. This makes me remember of that "accidentaly the hero" stereotype you see on some cartoons, but with a good dose of sarcasm. I love how he don't give a **** about having "the call" to be a champion and yet shows such determination (which i find that contrast with the "accidentaly the hero" stereotype common cases).

Now for the skills:

Innate: fits his personality and gameplay - good job!

Q: insane strong power if used correctly. you might want to add that reducing returns on multiple hits to give him a more stable gameplay. Since he have 3 ap ratios he can still manage to play well.
The addition of reducing returns would also allow you to work a lower cooldown (15, maybe)
I'd recommed giving it same missile speed and range throughout all levels since it's riot's way of working the gameplay (Gragas got the change on it already... he was the last example of it.)

W: hard to use, but very rewarding. Fits the kit since it has the needed synergy to work.

E: this is the kind of skill that can only exist in a kit that can handle without it. since i believe conditions have been met this is a fine addition. it'll give Zuki a way to contribute to the team strategically, but only as that - in fact, this is a rare sight even amongst the riot champions. the personal usage of it solidifies the skill as a playable one (but requires skill)

R: rocket jump on steroids. it's actually good because it plays well in his kit... but i don't know about the channel. Consider making it a "double-tap" ability similar to alchemist's stun on dota (click - ability charges and get ready to use - now you have a window of time to activate it to jump, or you blast on the spot)

stats:
consider changing the format to:
base = stats at level 0 (before bonus per level is applied)

health might need an upgrade (it's pretty low right now with only 90 above anivia - but anivia is ranged and lay eggs)

movement speed could be downed to 320 - it's a pretty good base movement speed and won't get hella op with his ultimate.

------------------------------ x ------------------------------ x ------------------------------ x ------------------------------

originally i came to trade reviews with you. but i pretty much enjoyed the trip.
I'll leave a link to my compendium of champions here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2094522
just so you know me
you can browse there and pick anything to review if you want (or check for new ones later) whenever you want. Just leave some note in the compendium itself (it's the headquartes, i check there more often)

ModelT

08-04-2012

Yay, reviews! =D I'm excited. They both look well thought out as well. Check for changes to the original post after this.

Passive: Cool Resolve
@Rukhron: On the one hand, I can see what you mean by having this effect function in an odd way, but having just a passive Tenacity is powerful in its own right. Irelia's passive is more powerful, but requires enemy champs nearby. This is just passive, nice tenacity. Yes, it doesn't add levels of complexity, but its lack of "triggers" means it allows for players to focus on other functions of Zuki's kit without needlessly running around. Also, most of the Yordles have really basic passives like this, so I think it fits. Heim: Healing aura, Tris: AA range, Amumu: MR debuff aura, Corki: True damage. Simple, because Yordles are simple.
@Rukhron: Thank you. It's part of the kit I don't really want to mess with.

Q: Power Slide
@Petyr: You know, a knock up doesn't make sense really... Zuki is kinda small, and a knock up is no different than a stun but with an animation. OR... perhaps I could justify a lower cooldown without much tweeking by making it a snare or root effect (because you just got hit in the legs by a whirlwind yordle). Yes, the CD does need to be lowered. As for the "Bounce" effect, I am adding a few notes on that so its function is clear. Thanks for pointing out the vague portions of this ability.
@Rukhron: =( I suppose I will change the Range/Missile speed stats to static. Makes enough sense.

W: Special Delivery
@Petyr: I don't really think I need to make special resources for players experiencing lag. No other champion has any such thing, and this IS supposed to be a more difficult champion to play, such that you shouldn't if you have bad connection or lots of lag. It's no more difficult than Karthus' Q or Riven's Ki blast, both of which I used as reference material. I do understand where you are coming from though, and can understand your concern.
@Rukhron: That's sort of the goal with this kit in general: Simple, strong, rewarding if you master it, but not easy to master.

W: Light Double
To clarify overall, the range is "infinite" such that you could hit E and click anywhere you want on the mini map. It is set up the way it is for multiple reasons. Lead enemies into ganks, juke like a pro, check bushes (all of them) and sometimes Jungle, and added "Ghost" effect for anti unit collision. I have no intention of changing its function. Since it IS a clone, it would be able to draw AI AA fire, and one hit vs. a turret is considerable if you think about it, buying just another second or two of time.
@Petyr: First, the passive boost to speed wouldn't make as much sense on the E, since his ult is Rocket Boots... they make him faster. Also, mechanically, the ability to get that much move speed early would be off setting on top of 2 good CCs. Secondly, the clone can blow up... prematurely ending ghost effect but does slight damage... Not a bad plan, but doesn't make as much sense since it is a light double. However, an AoE that provides sight to the target might not be bad. Zuki is a good chaser after all (After a shot of scotch at least, lol)... this might be perfect. Thanks for the inspiration.
@Rukhorn: Thank you. I put a lot of thought into this ability, and I feel it balances out his kit.

Ultimate: Rocket Boots
Regarding the channel, its because Zuki needs to adjust his boots before he can tweek their performance for such a jump. Remember also that he has good potential to combo this with his E, buying himself the time for the channel, or perhaps setting up an "over the wall" jump of some sort in the jungle. This isn't supposed to be super combo hour on Zuki. In fact, the seeming lack of synergy between his Ult and the rest of his damage moves is what I was going for. Zuki is not a spammer. Also, remember knock backs throw ppl against walls. I like the channel. It's fun and unstable, also this deals 1.0 AP to the primary target.

Overall
@Petyr: I think I put a note in the main post somewhere about his AA animation, but it's his rocket boots. He kicks. Seemed to be the only sensible reason for him to stand still while hitting his target. Thank you for the input. I like input from ppl who aren't entirely thrilled with my ideas. Real criticism. Thank you for that. You did manage to shine some light on things I hadn't thought about, even if it seems I didn't take most of your ideas to heart.

@Rukhron: Now, I also like praise. Getting online to these two reviews most certainly made my day. Thanks for the positive feedback, as well as some additional insight to a few things. His lore makes me happy, and Riot has neglected making a champ with a quirky/fun backstory for sometime now, which makes me appreciate Zuki all the more. All the other champions seems so serious about the League but fun and goofy in their own personal ways, where as Zuki is the exact opposite. He's very serious, but things outside the realm of his seriousness with little regard, making him a strange fellow. Also, I will change the base stats to reflect lvl 0, but the health is something I've been in a tug of war over. The low health is in relation to his speed. He is fast and hard to lock down in many ways (Passive, CCs, misdirection), and making him easier to kill... I think is balancing... though Idk. I'll consider these changes another time. I keep thinking that there are so many good health items, and Zuki really needs to build one or risk being too squishy is what I'm thinking, you know?

Thanks for the reviews guys.

@woopyfrood: I like the Hitchhikers guide reference, props. Also, thank you, but it'll take more than that for this champion concept to get anywhere. Tell your friends.

ModelT

08-04-2012

***Update Bump*** 8/4/2012
- Altered base stats to reflect level 0 (Except attack speed, because I'm bad at math right now)
- Power Slide
- Altered Range and speed to be static.
- Altered the cool down from flat 20, to 20/18/16/14/12
- Changed CC effect from 1 second Stun to 1 second Snare. (Zuki hits them in the legs)
- Changed the function of the "Bounce" effect. Now if Zuki hits a wall/structure he travels backwards to the point of casting, dealing damage and snaring again.
- Changed Technical aspects to denote what effects/abilities/spells can be used during power slide.
- Light Double
- Added an explosion effect that ends move prematurely, does no damage, but adds Debuff that grants vision
- Altered technical aspects to reflect that explision effect does not add any other debuffs like from Crystal Scepter
- Noted in his attack range that is "weapon" is his rocket boots
- Added "Zuki Kringle Clause" as an epic skin idea.

Petyr Baelish

08-04-2012

If you are keeping the channeled jump, make it deal 1 true damage when you begin the channel, to prevent bad interactions with Recall.