RP to IP conversion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Octogonipus

12-23-2011

I think that there should be an option to convert RP to IP. Now, don't get ahead of me please. I am not asking for an IP to RP conversion, that would decrease the income that helps LoL run in the first place. Thats not what I want. The only reason I even thought of this was because I bought RP and now I have left-over RP that I cannot spend on anything, even a skin that is on sale. Here are my ideas :
1: You cannot convert any MORE than 350 RP.
Now, this has points of leverage. You could either :
A. Allow players to convert 350RP only if they have exactly 350 or less than 350 RP. If you have 351 RP, you cannot convert it. If you have 350 or below, you can.
OR
B. Allow players to convert 350RP no matter how much RP they have, but limit how often they can do it. For example, you may only conver 350RP every (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc..) days. This would prevent RP conversion abuse from being used as an easy and quick way to get IP for runes.
OR
C. Allow players to convert any amount of RP at any time. This would lead to abuse, but it would definitely increase the income for league. That, of course, has some side-effects that I would rather not mention.

2: Allowing this option would mean that people have something to do with that "little extra" RP they have after buying however many champions and skins they want to. In most cases, people end up with minuscule amounts of RP after spending what they can. I, for example, bought RP and spent it, and now have 285 RP to spend on.... Nothing. Even if a skin goes on sale, I cannot use that 285 RP. So, if I could convert it to IP, I would have something to do with it.

Edit:
I did the math and 1RP is equal to about 6.5IP.
For 350RP you can get about 2275IP. I think thats about fair.
100+ views and no comments? I would like to see at least somebodies thoughts on this idea..

xXSpaceTurtleXx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-23-2011

Have you been to the "Boost" tab in the store? There's something called IP boost in it, and it's available in forms of 1 day or 4 wins and cost 290RP. It doesn't CONVERT the RP into IP, but it does help speed up the IP gain per game.

Hope that helped.

Octogonipus

12-25-2011

Yeah, there are those. Hmm. That makes a few changes.
Because they are 290RP, maybe if anyone with LESS than that can convert RP to IP? There is no other way to spend it. Experience boosts are less, but they are a temporary thing because we are able to cap out our levels. Anyways, I only had 285RP (until the x-mas rp give out) so I couldnt spend it on anything. I was already level 30. So anything less than 290 could be convertible. I still think its pretty fair.
AFTER the X-Mas thing, I bought pantheon for 487RP. That leaves me with 248 RP that I can't use. Anyone could be in this situation, so why not let them use the unusable RP as IP?

FinalFan

12-26-2011

Yeah, I don't like having to buy points like this in blocks that differ from the amounts you can spend. I wonder how much money Riot has made on points people cannot even use.

I would support the idea of being able to convert anywhere from 1 to 289 RP, but no more, once every two weeks, at a rate of 5 to 1.

Mateo151

12-27-2011

oh **** junior member rocks bold

shut down servers now to accomodate FinalFan please riot!

in other news they just *gave 450 points to people like me who aren't tools*

with the 350 they gave, that's 800 this year

multiply by every account, pretty sure that's alot more than the 117 you had left over, that you would able to spend from the freebies

FinalFan

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo151 View Post
oh **** junior member rocks bold
shut down servers now to accomodate FinalFan please riot!
in other news they just *gave 450 points to people like me who aren't tools*
with the 350 they gave, that's 800 this year
multiply by every account, pretty sure that's alot more than the 117 you had left over, that you would able to spend from the freebies
Oh **** "member" gets uppity to "junior member"

Is there some kind of reason for your disdain? Is there a reason I shouldn't have put the key part of my post in bold?

You do have a good point about not complaining about leftovers when Riot is handing out free RP. But just FYI, "member" doesn't refer to your e-peen.

Octogonipus

12-27-2011

Look, I'm not trying to cause instigation or anything, I'm just trying to find an easy way to use the little RP that many people have left to use. Converting it to IP is a lot more gracious than forcing somebody to buy MORE RP just to use it once again and be left with minuscule amounts of unusable RP.

FinalFan

12-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogonipus View Post
Look, I'm not trying to cause instigation or anything, I'm just trying to find an easy way to use the little RP that many people have left to use. Converting it to IP is a lot more gracious than forcing somebody to buy MORE RP just to use it once again and be left with minuscule amounts of unusable RP.
The thing is, as Mateo points out, you just got 450 RP absolutely free, so it's a bit tacky to be complaining about the 285 you have left over.

Octogonipus

12-28-2011

I'm not trying to complain, honestly. I'm just trying to find ways people can use the unusable RP. Yes, I got 450 RP free. But after that, I still have unusable RP after using it. Why give us RP if we cannot use it at all? There are 2 ways to fix this utterly useless situation :
1: RP to IP conversion.
2: Solid numbers of RP that you can purchase; Solid costs on items/champions. By solid I mean Even and flat numbers such as 100, 200, 1000, 4000, 10000, etc. Not 987 or 487 or 159 or whatever the hell there is in the stores. If An Item goes on sale, it goes on sale for 10%, 20%, 40% 50%, NOT 33%, 45%, 25%, WHATEVER ELSE. Even numbers. Solid numbers.

Amy the Raven

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2011

While the idea is sound (at least in my view), it will never happen. Systems like this, and a certain console system that I will not name here, where you spend money to buy points which are then used for purchases, always leave you with odd leftover points. It's part of the marketing strategy. Because having "wasted" points will lead the majority of people to eventually buy more points, hoping to use up these "leftover" points, and then buy more points when there are still some left over. Customers want to use up every last point. It's natural. No one likes wasted money. Hence odd-numbered points lead to more leftovers and more supplemental purchases. It's psychological manipulation, and most of the time it works.

I've been staring at my 120 leftover points from a past purchase for ages, itching to use them for something. ANYTHING. Then Riot was kind enough to give me 450 more. But after spending what I could of them, I still have leftovers. And the urge to buy more to try to use the remainder up is strong. Well played, Riot. Well played...