Ranked Champ Selection Idea

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mafiosa

12-22-2011

To further avoid unintentional trolls which in most cases are equally or more irritating than intentional trolls, summoners should only be able to choose champions in ranked games which they have played X amount of games with in normal queues.

New champs should also be disabled from ranked games until up to X weeks (2 weeks for example) after release.

-
-

> Post inspired by a ranked game I recently lost in solo queue primarily due to a "first time" Ahri.

Qrzv

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2011

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I don't even play solo queue ranked, for fear of my base elo going lower. This would help it quite a bit.

-Shir0

Ciph3rzer0

12-22-2011

The problem with that is people almost never play certain champs in normal (support) where a support is almost always necessary in ranked. And if you've supported with one champion, you can pretty much support with them all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Also, The better players get, the more versatile they become. I know I can pick up most champions and do moderately well with them. For example, I might have played morgana twice in normal, but when we needed someone to play morg just to prevent the other team from getting her, I volunteered, and ended up winning the middle lane (with some help from jungle).

Some people are stuck in this sort of "each individual must be pro at what their doing" and they don't realize that somebody picking morg who would probably feed (without jungle and/or side lane help) or get no cs(not really possible to get low cs with morg), such a pick might actually be the best for the team, even though the morg might be noob.

So no, I don't think there should be any restrictions on the champs you play. Just quit being a ****** and if someone ends up picking someone they don't do well with, just remember that everybody is learning and do your best to help them do better. It's quite possible that the player is specifically countered at champion select, or that all of his or her main champs would have done bad against the selected enemy champ, so they are forced to try something new.

Novacain XIII

12-22-2011

You have completely missed the subject that the OP commented on. First, I recommend you reread the OP and then delete your reply. Why you began commenting on 'support' champions is well beyond me. He clearly stated this is a general idea put forth to inhibit individuals in ranked games who have never played a champion from 'testing' them out in a game style that has negative consequences to all players involved (loss of ELO).

Now what would be far more constructive and respectful of a post would be to provide some form of rebuttal that maybe commented on his variable X being 2 weeks. It would be more logical to change variable X to 'played this Champion >= 5 times' in order to qualify said champion as an option for draft in a Ranked game. Providing a percentage requirement on number of times said hero was played would be too much of a restriction for players who have played hundreds or thousands of games.

I recommend you go back to grade school and brush up on your reading comprehension.

Mafiosa

12-22-2011

Firstly, if you feel this way then you do not have a proper understanding or respect for the idea of "ranked" queue. While it is true that players become more versatile with game/build/map experience, that has nothing to do with the point of this post. RANKED queue is a place where people expect to play with other people who are able to play better than "moderately well".

I understand that sometimes players have to choose certain champs deemed "OP" in ranked games (Amumu, Gangplank, Morgana, etc.) for the same reason you stated, but just because someone may have a good game on a random champ does not mean that they should be playing that champion in ranked. Ranked queue, among the ranked community that I consider myself a part of, is understood as being a calculated and professional atmosphere where you bring your A game and you play to the best of your ability the best way you know how, not the best way you read about 5 minutes ago on Mobafire or Solomid.

Finally, as for a player doing bad or being countered, I am completely fine with that. If a player is playing a champion I know he/she has experience with and is capable of doing well with (I would know this if some sort of restriction similar to my idea is implemented) has a bad game (it happens) I would understand this and be less irritated than I would be if I knew it was some scrub playing ranked like it was normal queue testing the champ he just bought.

Rest assured I am not being a "*****" and just posting to see my name on the forum, this is something I feel strongly about. I don't even bother playing ranked games nowadays just because you never know what you are going to get in solo queue, leavers/trolls/champ testers and whatever else.. normal games are more like ranked should be most of the time.

Larynth

12-22-2011

Your post is intrinsicly flawed in two ways. a) one cannot controll human behavior of those paying for the game if one depends on said payment for payroll. Never ask them to do anything to hamper the buisness model of launching OP toons too rapidly for most to pay IP. This is the way they get most to buy RP. If the toons are not OP no one will buy them. So shush.
b) One should not ask those dependent on payment to do anything to reduce said payment ever as only ******* do this.
c) either learn to exploit thier willingness to BFK the non paying masses by buying OP toons, $20 a week should keep em happy, or get to be a true 10%'er who doesn't need money cayse thier sinapses fire at 2x the normal rate.

Novacain XIII

12-22-2011

because*

Mafiosa

12-22-2011

@Larynth

You must have the wrong thread, because nothing you posted here pertains to this topic.

Mafiosa

12-25-2011

bump

Larynth

12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafiosa View Post
To further avoid unintentional trolls which in most cases are equally or more irritating than intentional trolls, summoners should only be able to choose champions in ranked games which they have played X amount of games with in normal queues.

New champs should also be disabled from ranked games until up to X weeks (2 weeks for example) after release.

-
-

> Post inspired by a ranked game I recently lost in solo queue primarily due to a "first time" Ahri.
What you are asking is for them to controll human behavior that will negatively impact the buisness model of the game. So yes what I said does pertain. New champs being dissabled in ranked would mean that most ranked players would now have no real reason to rush to buy them in the first two weeks before they get beat down with the almighty nerf stick.

The first part is asking them to dump countless man hours into editing code with almost no chance of a monitary return for that time or even a quantifiable improvement to the game since playing a champ in normal q 10 or 20 times will not make someone good with that champ.

I'm really not trying to be rude but it's just not going to happen. It would be like asking a construction worker to beat the **** out of his own hand with a hammer. Where's the motivation?