Mage Tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

crackerbaby

07-12-2010

I got on a bad losing streak after having +20 wins and am now realizing I'm probably not playing as smart as I should be. I mostly play mages with some support now, as in Annie, Fiddle, Ryze, AP Sion, AP Cho'gath, and used to play Veigar and Kassadin until I realized I was better off with other mages. My issue is mostly with timing. There will be a team fight that starts halfway across the map and by the time I get there they will be finishing off my team or the rest of their team will come by just in time to kill me as I get there.

I never played DotA or HoN, this is my first moba. Basically, whenever I do my spell combos, no matter if it's at the beginning or the middle of a fight, they always jump on me and I'm laid out to dry. **** sucks, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Mr Collie Man

07-12-2010

Mages in this game are all about hit and run. Stick with your team once the team fights start, and let your tanks initiate the fight. Once it has started, try isolating their support/squishy DPS and nuke the hell out of them. I have been playing Kassadin lately and I mainly focus on shutting down and destroying the other team's mage/support champs. One spell combo drops them to below 40% HP, at which point they either get killed by me and my team, or run and are taken out of the fight. Either way, you have single handedly taken one of their champs out of the fight and hopefully brought the odds into your favor.

Just don't get caught alone, always bring Cleanse and/or merc treads, and run at the first sign of damage coming your way. If your Tryndamere just charged into the whole enemy team while your other 3 teammates are on the other side of the map, don't go in or you're just going to die too. You gotta be good at fight selection and knowing when to get in and get out, because 2 seconds in the wrong spot of the map will be your death.

Also utilize your CC effects on their most dangerous champs. While you may want to throw your damaging silence spell on the target you are nuking, throwing it on the Olaf who is running towards your team may be more beneficial as a whole. Disabling enemy carries even for 2-4 seconds can allow your team to steam roll everyone else.

Fluffy1

07-12-2010

generally when a fight breaks out move to the back of the team so if they wanna get you they have to run through your whole team to do so, usualy getting hit with lots of damage and CC as your team protect you so you can nuke them.