Katarina and Spell Pen ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RIckster

10-07-2009

Just tryin to figure out seeing i have been playin this lil she devil lately, if her ultimate benefits from spell pen and her other abilities. I realize they say magic just tryin to clarify and seen if this has been tested.

Zonation

10-07-2009

Anything that is labeled as magic damage in the tooltip benefits from spell penetration.

Shakra

10-08-2009

Katarina and spell pen works like a charm , gives her ulti a nice boost, even end game, blink at the right spot(after the tank, or amits creeps as targeting is harder), and use it, you will notice that it cripples their team really hard

SmecssRaege

10-08-2009

it would work...but recently i've been a huge fan of using all AP/18 runes...hitting like 68 AP at lvl 18....really puts a nice hurting on....never really thought about trieing spell pen though...could be worth checking out :O

RIckster

10-08-2009

ya, well she has been a favorite recently, tryin to fine turne her and my playstyle, i personally use CD runes.

but scepter has always looked nice for a 3rd item.

SmecssRaege

10-08-2009

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=16520

according to sanji here...spell pen might not be a worthwhile investment.

Cooldown's seem to always have a better investment... 11%ish cooldown vs 70 ap or 12 magic pen...the cooldowns will be the superior min/max stat it seems.

Hitting as high as you can isnt a bad idea (or 20% and then aim for nashor's tooth for 40%) or 15% and try and get golem buff as much as possible....

my problem with kat is i cant fit nashors tooth into my cash flow so i never get it.

Dorans + 1 health pot to start
Sorc Boots or Swiftness (it's been swiftness more and more lately...hate when a target is running JUST OUTSIDE of my shunpo range)
Rylai's Scepter
Mejai's Soulstealer (even when i pick this up late, i still charge it pretty damn fast with kat the queen of assists)
Lichbane
^^^
That's basically a games worth of items almost right there....with still wanting to lead to:
Nashors Tooth
Zhonyas ring.

If i ever got ALL those...that would be nice, but it will never happen :P

(i've also considered stacking going with 3 lucky picks for a nice cash flow since ur a ganker and lanemover)

Alternate theory would look something like:

Dorans + 1 health pot
Boots of mobility / Boots of Swiftness / Sorcerer's Shoes
Pick
Pick
Pick
Rylai's Scepter
Sell doran's shield for a mejai's (or since it may be later...go straight for lichbane, but i love mejais for the 140AP to ur ulit...but lichbane proc and move speed is super fun to)
Nashors
Zhonyas

Coleman

10-08-2009

I have cooldowns in my runes and masteries maxed out.

I focus ability points and further cooldown reduction with items. I've never even thought about spell pen.

By level 18 if I'm having a good game I'm doing 700 damage every 3 seconds with Shunpo. WERQE kills just about anything except a tank, but often times even them if they can't get away. I've had a couple aces since every champion kill lets me do it all over again thanks to Kat's passive.

If I'm having a bad game I'm leading deaths. My desire to harass early and often with Shunpo leaves little regard for my own safety and often looks really stupid to my team mates when I mess it up.

Apparently with Kat the line between Noob and God is paper thin.

Redrach

10-08-2009

I focus on -CD runes too. And since I'm not going to sit and grind at the combiner to fill all my slots with them, I use Spell Pen in the rest.

@SmecssRaege
According to that post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanji Watsuki View Post
As you can see, AP does better at lower damages however spell penetration does more at higher damages. Either way, the difference is slight. If your AP ratio is lower than 1, spell penetration has a larger advantage. As the enemy stacks MR, AP has a larger advantage.
I guess Spell Pen is better for her since her spells have AP ratio < 1?
Either way, the difference in stacking AP and Spell Pen should be slight.

-CD runes take preference though.

Shakra

10-09-2009

I that - Cd runes are effective if shunpo is your main focus, but the ultimate Katarina has is perfect for team fights, you can pop 2 ultimates, even 3 if you are really lucky, and if you maxed you dmg with the ulti, most teams just wont survive that kind of damage, sure you get to be targeted, but if you place yourself well, you wont be the number 1 target, so -cd is more effective for shunpo indeed, but i have to say that magic pen is better if you focus on death lotus

RIckster

10-09-2009

well, i have tried it, lets say this, with tanks the spell pen makes a difference, but with other heros, via carry support pusher i cant tell the difference simply because they fall down way to fast, dont know if i want that as my third item...by they way, if you all seriously play this girl, i strongly advise mercury threads....golden boots for this girl,