Laning Mid against Heimer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DMG1

07-12-2010

I think one of the easiest counters to Heimer at mid is Trist. She outranges turrets around 8-9 IIRC, she doesn't need to rely on mana at all to destroy them, she has an escape for the grenade and ganks while also scaring Heimer from pushing too far up, she can farm minions very easily and her burst shots make it hard for you to hide turrets around your own minions, etc.

Mord and Nunu sound great at first, but you also have to remember that cause they are Melee range, they won't reasonably beat Heimer near his tower. He might not be able to push, but you aren't gonna win the war of attrition in those spots. Karthus can lay waste them if he is set up near his tower, but he's also prone to some harassment. Same with Ashe and Annie. Trist can cover it all and also avoid most harassment, while not needing much mana use at all.

Rabbio

07-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctechie View Post
1) Anticipate the grenade. You should, almost constantly, be running forward for a second to pressure Heimer. Just fake like you're about to attack a turret, maybe even drop an auto-attack on a minion. Anticipate the grenade, and then dodge to the side. His skill-shot is VERY easy to dodge at anything other than pointblank range.

2) You now have almost free reign of the lane until his grenade cooldown resets. Concentrate on auto-attacking turrets and then finishing them with 'q'. Turrets are free gold once you have a few levels in 'q'.

Your entire struggle is to get Heim OOM. This means two things: a) kill turrets as fast as possible and b) bait as many grenades as possible.

Don't worry about killing him. Just focus on last-hitting, dodging grenades, and kill turrets. Try to use your 'q' every time it's cooldown is up to be last-hitting something.

Finally, as Annie you have one of the easiest matchups against Heim. Abuse your auto-attack range (you shoot farther than turrets do) and punish him for every grenade he misses by auto-attacking a turret a few times and then 'q' to finish it. He has to throw grenades at you when you start attacking his turrets because you out-range them.

EDIT: I also play Annie with a full AP page so I start out with either 45 or 65 AP. That changes my play style with her a bit to focus on Q because I don't quite have the regen to be blasting away with 'w' every time it's up.
This. By far!

You should be trying to force Heimer to waste as much mana as possible. Drop the turrets as soon as they're down (especially if you outrange them). Force and juke a grenade. Be random though, or Heimer will learn.

I faced a Teemo the other day that made my life hell. I couldn't push close enough to his tower to nade spam it. Eventually he started to make mistakes though, and I got the push. He'd get complacent and auto-attack the turret one too many times and I'd nade him. I was pretty much oom from 1-7 though, without a chance to go to town.

Leirkov

07-12-2010

Oh, cause I just played Annie yesterday against a Heimer in mid. I just auto attacked his turrets then used Q to last hit the turrets. If he got up multiple turrets I ran up and used W, did massive damage to Heimer and the turrets. When I got to 6, I dropped a Tibbers stun and did the usual RWQ-Ignite combo. Dead Heimer.

TheImmortalVirus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-12-2010

I just put a nice spear in his face as Pant and then kill him at level 3.

Doctor Awesome

07-12-2010

I played Heimer nonstop for several weeks recently, and I can tell you: whatever you do, don't focus on killing his turrets. They have enough magic resistance that it will take you more than the 20~ish seconds it takes to cool down my turret placement, and it will cost you on average 3 to 4 times the amount of mana it takes me to place one. Meanwhile, you aren't farming well because you're using nukes on my turrets, while my farming is accelerated because I have no fear of being attacked. I have played against every popular mid champion, and several unpopular ones, and every single one that focused my turrets, without exception, failed utterly to impede me in anyway, and often only crippled themselves in the process.

The only times I've ever struggled as Heimer, or managed to beat a competent one, is when the Heimer is relentlessly ganked by 3 or more players, literally every single time he appears on map, for the first twenty minutes of the game. The second you kill him, you all push that lane as hard as possible. 3 champions is a critical number, as Heimer is specifically designed to be able to repel or kill single attackers, and at least escape two, in both instances dealing serious enough damage to his assailants so as to force their retreat, denying them the ability to reclaim the lane in his absence. Ultimately, the fastest way to kill his turrets is simply to kill Heimer himself. As a side note, for best effect, spring the trap just after he lobs a grenade at the tower--it is his trump card of sorts for repelling attackers. Ganking before level 6 is also recommended but can be challenging.

That may seem excessive, but Heimerdinger forces you to play very differently than almost any other champion--being unwilling to properly devote resources to stopping Heimer's pushing is tantamount to refusing to purchase Oracle's against a Twitch, or Mercury Treads against Amumu/Morgana/etc, or trying to push when a jungle Shaco is on the loose. You must adapt your playstyle to deal with your enemy--there is no "one strategy" that always works.

Think about it this way: there are very few combinations of champions that can push together as well as Heimer can push alone--this means that, even if you let all four other enemies push a lane together, they still probably won't push as hard as Heimer, and they absolutely won't farm as well either, because the gold/experience is diluted amongst four players rather than being hoarded by one.

If you kill Heimer, or at least force him to retreat, you now threaten a turret; if it's still the laning phase, odds are the pairs in the side lanes won't be able to seriously capitalize on your allies being missing, while you are free to push a tower; even the worst case scenario is still in your favor: if all four remaining enemies are pushing a lane together, they can either abandon their push to defend the tower you now threaten, or they can trade their tower for yours. Either way, your team is ahead significantly, due to a gank on their solo.

This is Heimer's critical weakness: he is the master of lane domination, but he is very item-dependent, relying on his astronomical farming power to simply outspend his enemies; furthermore, he is often the one proverbial basket in which his team has put all of their eggs. If he is killed, swiftly and relentlessly, every time he tries to capitalize on his advantages, he will be little more than a liability in later fights.

As a side note: these champions are the only ones that have ever posed a significant threat to me as Heimerdinger:

Katarina--Bouncing Blades are painful indeed, especially when they inhibit healing via Heimer's passive, and they can easily hit all my turrets no matter how far apart; Shunpo lets her attack me behind my turret line if necessary; and her lack of mana allows her to outlast even Heimer's nigh-imperishable supply of mana.

Kog'Maw: Living Artillery is pretty lousy for killing turrets, but he can simply attack Heimer himself from far out of range. E is handy for smashing turrets if they're arranged too close, as well.

Gangplank: Parrrley obviously gets around the high MR advantage Turrets have, and crits can usually take them down in a single blow, only feeding the pirate more gold. Cannon Barrage usually is enough to instantly eradicate entrenchments, as well.

Master Yi: Alpha Strike considers turrets to be minions, of course, so there's a significant chance that he will simply kill turrets instantly on accident. Highlander lets him charge straight through Frost Turrets, but of course he is highly succeptible to blind. Not so much a counter for his ability to kill Dinger as he is for his ability to prevent Dinger from ever setting up, making him very vulnerable to ganks.

Ezreal: Pure, unadulterated physical firepower allows him to reduce turrets to scrap in seconds for very little mana.

Mordekaiser: Iron Man will let him shrug off brushes with the turrets, and even early grenades, all day, and the sheer spamability of his Q and E will make short work of the guns.

Hope this was helpful.

Evangelion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2010

Find a person who plays Shaco.

Wait until Shaco shows up with lizard buff.

First Blood!