Showcase For Unusual Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ripplez

07-12-2010

alot of the time, we have references unusual builds creep up here and there. some of them are misunderstood, some are decried as less than optimal and some are just called flat-out bad

rather than try to shut up these builds so that people dont try failing builds, my idea is to create this hopefully-stickied topic (if it works) where we post videos and small explanations of these strange builds. expose them to the community so we have some idea of what were talking about, supporting or decrying. because if someone sees or hears about a funky build to try, theyll prob try it anyway but now theyll have more tangible proof of how it works, if it works. and if not, well be able to say why it doesnt work and actually point it out - "see this build only works if they fed you hard", "this build only works against X,Y,Z champs"

we probably might discuss the builds and strategies in the vids posted herein so keep that if you want to submit it. doesnt need to be a whole game but a good portion of it. also, a decent average game. if it allows for above-normal play then by all means include it. but the idea isnt to go 22/0/33 in the videos, its to show how the build works and that it CAN work. most builds have their own troubles, dont try and "sell" your build. it should speak for itself

this is the basic idea for this topic. if theres any demand for it, maybe it could be a good thing to help the community - disregarding those who experiment tends not to work out in the long run, at least without a big reason why. this can help both sides of the argument

my suggestions for what id like to see, till i find a video of them are -

a) melee kassadin
b) physical dps janna (if still used in the current patch)
c) ap jax (if still used in the current patch)

also note, this isnt really the place to talk about the popular builds. assume that, for the most part, we know what those are. thats why were talking about alternatives to those, for fun, as an experiment to find something strange and interesting or as a mental exercise.

thanks for putting up with this. i would love to know if it has any scope and if people would be interested in such a community project.

Minrog

07-12-2010

People will still try the builds, even if it is a sticky. While one portion of the player base is chasing "excellence", the other is chasing "originality". We're still going to be answering questions as to why tank Mundo, DPS Evelynn, AP Tryndamere and others aren't very good. The guys who want to try them out will assume everyone else is stupid, crazy, or just jealous of their innately high IQ. I wish you luck in your quest, I just don't have a lot of hope that it will succeed.

Duck King

07-12-2010

Tank Fiddlesticks is the one I do mainly that seems odd. I receive no complaints about it -- but the complaints ROLL in if other people in my pre-made try it and perform badly. Fiddle is a CC king; Crowstorm gives him the highest base damage ult in the game, so his damage potential in a fight is far from crippled. You still have enough AP/Pen that Drain hurts -- and people will try to cancel your channel resulting in a spent CC, or alternatively try to flee it's range which typically means their Carry is spending seconds running and not unloading their DPS on your team.

Kureno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2010

Tiamat spam Ezreal.
People never see it coming, and neither team seems to ever realise the implications of it. Your Q now does splash damage about 4-5X the actual hit(last time I used this, it was about 500-600 damage splash)
Meaning, rather than tank the shots and hit the oddly weak Ezreal, they continue to hide behind minions, taking large amounts of damage. Also works if multiple champions are standing close to eachother. A single Sheen tends to help too, but didn't take boots. I expect this works for Twitch as well when he uses his ult, considering it applies on hit effects to everyone.

Squawl

07-12-2010

tank shaco. and i dont just mean building sunfires. ive seen dps janna like once, they beat us in under 25 minutes. notsure about melee kasadin. if this takes off ill help when i get back stateside.

Ripplez

07-12-2010

Quote:
"People will still try the builds, even if it is a sticky. While one portion of the player base is chasing "excellence", the other is chasing "originality". We're still going to be answering questions as to why tank Mundo, DPS Evelynn, AP Tryndamere and others aren't very good. The guys who want to try them out will assume everyone else is stupid, crazy, or just jealous of their innately high IQ. I wish you luck in your quest, I just don't have a lot of hope that it will succeed.
ah see the thing here is that its not just used to put down the builds that are bad and to explain why those are bad but to also show which builds, while counter-intuitive, are not as bad as originally thought. for example, ap yi was laughed at abit originally but doesnt outright suck. either way it is meant more as a catalogue for these builds with examples of them actually put into action for the people who want to use them as a reference for any goal or even to simply copy

there are many videos of ap kassadin and physical dps tristana. even if not terribly optimal, a reference for melee kassadin or ap tristana would be nice for the people who want to talk about/learn about such things

THE HAMBEAST

07-12-2010

dps janna freaking owwwwwwwwwwns

AP shen lol...
i tried tank corki once xD s'alright
AP singed kinda works bc his passive means mana=health (stack archangels with one boots of swiftness)

Squawl

07-12-2010

ya i like ap singed

Azuredoom

07-12-2010

tank janna with soul shrouds and rylais is so much fun

Avid Hero

07-12-2010

In low ELO, Physical DPS Janna is harsh. You can whip through entire teams with a self shield + tornado spam, saving your slow for chasing. That combined with a flash + ult into a tower, your a genuine carry.

Once I got past low elo, the effectiveness of this dropped ( Though I was in solo queue, so maybe just bad comps?)

I really enjoyed my time with DPS Janna, but that time is past, I've put away childish things.