[Question] Wacom

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SethCypher

12-23-2011

There are Wacom tablets that are only 100 or so dollars. Try those out before you buy something that costs you your life savings. Not that I have had experience with higher quality tablets, but I think most of the quality of the art depends on how you utilize your painting program and how you "feel" your painting out. The quality of tablet just makes it easier to simulate this kind of feeling as if you were actually painting/drawing in real life.

For the record, I use a plain Graphire Wacom tablet, had it for 5 years. When you first transition into tablet from mouse, the most important thing is the settings for your tablet. Sensitivity, area of screen that tablet covers, button settings etc...these are all based on your own preference obviously and once you find the settings that you feel comfortable with, you'll be able to adapt to your tablet much better and thus get a better sense of your colors and shadings.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CalypsoHoneyBear

12-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActivEcks View Post
The second reason is I want to use the cintiq to get even better at my hobby in hopes of finding a career where I can apply those skills.

You should check out http://www.henningludvigsen.com/ if you haven't already. He did a lot of his early work in CS2 using a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet.

I have an I3 6x8 and I love it. I think in terms of a career investment, start small. Go to school for it. I went to Ai (for advertising, not animation) and the animation kids there got REALLY good at digital drawing and painting, especially since many of the computer labs had tablets and Cintiqs. Plus, student pricing brings a lot of those products into a much more affordable range.

Bottom line. Think about your future and career. Are you at the point where you could be selling your work or getting freelance jobs right now? If so, go for the big one. It'll save you time and allow you to do the bigger jobs. But if you think you are still a hobbyist, consider going for the tablet and working your way to greatness. Like I said, I LOVE my tablet and the Intuos 4s are even cooler than the 3s. And there's actually a new system out now that uses a real pen on paper and records each line as a separate layer.

Slow and steady on this one, then you're golden. Good luck!