Why is mid lane the solo lane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gablesmath

12-20-2011

Title says it all... I know that top is solo so that bot can be duo and secure dragon more easily... but for mid lane is there a reason?

I'm pretty sure it started in DOTA ... but if any veteran MOBA players could explain ^^

EDIT: Thanks a lot everyone, I will try to summarize the answers (which I think are pretty conclusive)

1- mid lane is... in the middle!
Solo champion were required to gank (before people started jungling non-stop), goin mid means the solo champion can gank both lanes faster.

2- mid lane is the shortest
Taking 1 in mind, since you want the solo champion to be as high leveled as fast possible, you want him mid 'cause minions will get there faster

3- a) You want dragon control!
And since you want dragon control, you don't have any other choice than to have either 2 bots 1 mid or 2 mid, 1 bot...

3- b) Different carries have different needs (AP/AD)
since what counts most for AP/Assassins is the level and what counts most on AD carries are the items, you want your AP to level as fast as possible and your AD carry to be as safe as possible (so he can get all the items he needs) SO: AP gets solo mid and AD gets duo bot (so he is safer and can get all the items he needs)

I would like to thank DreamlessX and Se1k , the first ones to bring up those arguments and HollowAvatar who pretty much wrote what I wrote in my EDIT, while I was editing :P

ReaverofDoom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2011

If only one lane is duo, wouldn't the obvious choice be to put that lane closest to dragon? Thus leaving the other two lanes as solos.

Edit: I may have misunderstood your question, but isn't it obvious since you know why bot is a duo lane? The other two are therefore forced to be solos. (with the assumption of a jungler)

Gankattk

12-20-2011

Its mostly for the carrying contest. There arent any lane rules or restrictions but a smart team would put their ranged carry alone in mid on the assumption that the other team is doing the same to give them as much bonus farm+xp as possible. Honest question but its just strategy. Supports and fattys dont usually need as much early game love as the carries do.

MauJustice

12-20-2011

The turrets are too close together in mid lane. Seems pointless to have 2 there.

Shinomi

12-20-2011

I think it's the lane setup. You have the 3 escapes on either side, the lanes are closer. Think of how hard it is to try and back off from a gank in top or bot, you only have one direction to run before they cut you off. Now think of how easy it is to try and juke into river or back into any hole you can find to get away in mid.

I think I questioned it once and that was how I answered myself. It's the easiest way for a squishy single champion to stay alive.

Majestic

12-20-2011

Its cause that lane has the fastest spawn, since it`s the shortest route.

DreamlessX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2011

The answer is simple.
In the metagame, in order to contest dragon, there are three people split between bottom and mid lane. (The 4th and 5th being Jungle/Top).

This leaves four options:

AP bot, Support/AD mid.
AD bot, Support/AP mid.

Support/AD bot, AP mid.
Support/AP bot, AD mid.

AP mids are level dependent while AD carries are item dependent. When common mids like Kennen, Malzahar, Annie, Katarina, LeBlanc Cassiopeia, Brand, Akali hit lvl 6, someone dies. A solo lane gets that lvl 6 as early as possible.

This is why the AP _usually_ takes a solo lane over the AD.

AP's are also superior gankers due to their higher burst. AD's are weak early game because they need both Aspd and Damage. Putting the AP mid gives them the most mobility to gank.

Hence the AP mid, Support/AD carry metagame.

InChrisWeTrust

12-20-2011

i disagree on your ap/ad arguement.
take Talon for example, best burst damage in the game (opinion)
yet cass isnt really burst at all.
AD/AP classification doesnt mean much. and if your good with any champ they can burst damage(Given the situation)
mid is solo because thats the meta. its just what team agree on it doesnt have to be like that. you could duo mid and solo top (considering most teams have a solo top because of jungler) and that would garuntee mid. and the other team would have to pull people from top and bottom to stop you from dropping turrets so it would garuentee(i cant spell that word) other lanes as well, but thats all asuming you dont use a jungler. but jungle is broken so you dont need one.

Aetherrealness

12-20-2011

I came from dota, and in dota mid was the solo lane as well, that is true. It's the established meta game that almost all players adhere to. Every League map adheres to a certain set of unspoken rules about where people go and what roles go where IE: one bot in Dominion and tolo top and duo bot on Twisted Treeline.

The big reason (at least when it happened in dota) that middle lane is the solo carry lane, is because its the shortest of the 3 lanes. Because it is the shortest, creeps, or in League's case, Minions reach the lane the fastest, feeding the lane faster than the other two.

I've also notice (you may want to try this) that upsetting the current meta with something obnoxious, like duo mid and a ranged sustain farmer bot under this current meta tends to work because people don't know how to react to it... at least in low/mid elo.

I hope this insight clears at least a bit of the question up.

KudoKou

12-20-2011

Because the lane is the shortest. If you send your dual lane bot, they can survive and not get pushed out much easier than if you send a solo bot. Just think about which team would be at an advantage in the case where one team has the dual lane mid and one team has the dual lane bot. The team with the dual lane mid wouldn't be able to pressure the enemy solo as well as the team with the dual lane bot.