Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP, AD, or Hybrid Ez?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Matuk

07-11-2010

Which do you prefer, and why?

xahhfink6

07-12-2010

Most people prefer AD, because it is the only one that is any good.

StealthAngel

07-12-2010

Quote:
xahhfink6:

Well AP is still a good one (even after all the nerfs ) .

imhuge

07-12-2010

AD
-strong early game because of armor pen runes and Mystic Shot
-simpler to stack damage (BF Sword)
-armor pen is easy to get
-better pusher
-life steal is way better than spell vamp
-least mana usage

AP
-easier item build ups
-strongest area damage
-with Lich Bane, strong single target damage
-easier to get neutrals (Arcane Shift)

Hybrid (sample: Sorc Boots, Guinsoo, Mejai, Lich Bane, Cleaver/Whisper)
-usually best as AP stacked Lich Bane with a few early AD items
-makes use of armor pen to make Lich Bane and Mystic Shot stronger
-gets both the strong early game of AD and the strong late game of AP
-hard to build defense against

Kadoba

07-12-2010

I wouldn't ever hybrid with Ez. Either do one or the other. Both AD and AP are good but I find that AP teeters on being more viable late game after you get your Lich Bane and AD is pretty good all game long.

McRofls

07-12-2010

AD pumps out serious damage
AP does a mediocre amount in teamfights with his ulti
Hybrid does nothing.

Haruhiist

07-12-2010

Quote:
xahhfink6:

AD is slightly stronger early if you're able to kill and farm more. The pros also include things like no need for too much mana regen, somewhat more sustained damage in early game since you'll still be picking off those in smaller groups and teamfights rarely happen at that stage. However the damage by late game is ultimately beaten (very heavily) by a decently farmed AP Ezreal.

AP Ezreal can bring out a decent amount of burst in an early gank (not sustained, but bursts is basically what you'd rather have in a gank, right?) and although it's weaker for awhile, as you start to get items you'll begin to become more powerful. AP Ezreal also has the power to initiate with his powerful ultimate when aimed properly and timed right, and can bring AOE damage with Essence Flux while still doing decent damage with Mystic Shot - which will become on par or even transcend AD Mystic Shots once your Lich Bane is up. Constant reliance on Elixirs may hurt the farm a bit though.

IMO AP is better because ultimately Ezreal can't keep himself alive for very long if he hangs around in a team fight using auto-attack since his range isn't particularly long, and the sustained damage from AD isn't too worth it if the enemy focuses you. An AP Ezreal can hop in, Mystic Shot, Essence Flux and pop out, using ultimate when the enemies bunch together for massive damage. Not to mention if you miss your Mystic Shot as AD Ezreal, you basically have to risk your HP and wait another 3 seconds to deal another 500 damage single nuke or so, and it's relatively difficult to aim Mystic Shot to hit a certain target in a mass team fight with minions.

You're likely to get less kills with AP, but you'll help out more in my opinion. Problem is getting good at aiming Mystic Shot and Essence Flux on a fast moving target though.

That said, I'm much less experienced than others, but just my opinion.

Kato Kii

07-12-2010

I used to be an AP Ezreal, and frankly it was godlike, but considering the continuous nerfing he has encountered, I decided to try out AD Ezreal for myself using various builds and play styles.

AP Ezreal is still useful, but not completely useful as he was in his early release, before the various nerfs.

Being a former AP Ezreal, I find that AD Ezreal brings way more in a team fight than I thought!
Of course Ezreal is on the squishy side but built right and he is can be a very good Carry while lasting in team fights and possibly going up against multiple targets one after another without sacrificing too much mana.

I find myself Carrying the team with my constant DMG and my Mystic Shot, preserving Trueshot B. for runaways or to initiate a team fights.

I use Arcane Shift for escaping / engaging / positioning with a bit of support DMG
I use Essence Flux to prepare my Trinity Force / Sheen effect, while doing support DMG
I use Mystic Shot to deal a thick amount of DMG

I build Ezreal with Merc Treaads along with a Trinity Force and supporting AD Items like:
Infinities
Bloodthirster, x2 (6th Slot)
Last Whisper (armor penetration + attack speed)

Trueshot to initiate or kill run aways, sometimes I use it to kill large minion swarms in a lane that needs it to prevent any opportunities for the team to take advantage.

Rykoran

07-12-2010

Sounds like there's pretty evenly split opinions. I think riot successfully balanced both builds!