Complete Matchmaking Fail

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phanixis

12-19-2011

How on earth does the matchmaking engine get away with this. Me and my friends were playing the Dominion mode, which we play infrequently, and the matchmaking engine comes up with this matchup:

Player Total Wins

Us

Xin Zhao: 7
Karthus: 4
Master Yi: 2
Rammus: 15
Katarina: 22

Them

Rammus: 183
Graves: 64
Tryndamere: 39
Mog'Maw: 62
Janna: 39

There is no way this is reasonable at all. Bonus points to anybody who can guess how the match ended.

Ext3rmin8or

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanixis View Post
Bonus points to anybody who can guess how the match ended.
You won because Death Lotus is OP. Do I get my bonus points now?

*EDIT AHA! The truth is revealed! The so called "bonus point" is, in fact, a downvote!

TheBlackMonk

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext3rmin8or View Post
You won because Death Lotus is OP. Do I get my bonus points now?
You're kidding right? Death Lotus stops to Displacement and Stun, which happens to be on half of any good characters. Rammus even has 2 displacement effects. His rollout bounces people away enough to interrupt it, and his Taunt.

Erranty

12-19-2011

You'd figure with so many "Matchmaking needs to be fixed" topics popping up, that riot would actually listen for once. Its shockingly simple. Have a scaling "Total" games ratio, and in the 27-30 level range add a win ratio. Players will be matched up based on total games instead of win ratio. People who win more than lose usually play more as well so this works out just fine.

Here's the groups in amount of TOTAL games on basic matchmaking (not ranked).

2-4
5-8
9-15
16-25
26-40
40-75
75-120
121-160

From there people are usually in the 27-30 level area, so you have to either add a Win/Loss ratio, or my preference: Just keep everyone within 100 games of eachother till level 30 and AT level 30 make it within 200 TOTAL games of the lowest amount. This of course doesn't apply to pre-arranged teams, which should be in an entirely separate section.

This allows more fair competition. So someone with 250 games only faces up to a 450 game person. If their W/L rations are around 50/50 then person 1 will have 125 wins, and person 2 will have 225 wins. That's no where near as dramatic as the 175 wins against 450 wins that I've been facing non stop lately.

But I mean seriously. When you face even one player who has more wins than your total games, its not a matter of "Just being better", its a real amount of tactical experience that other players just don't have. These people have had more time and practice with their characters than the people with fewer games, that makes a big difference! It lets them know which item builds are best for each situation, not just end game but builds throughout the match to lead up to those end games!

I dunno, I'm just trying to be reasonable here and give a useful alternative. With over a million players, you wouldn't think there's be a problem filling slots doing this either.

Blinkfenix

12-21-2011

me with 300+ wins going up against ppl with 800+ wins=FML