Why go AP with Jax?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

quady

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2009

Forgive me if this there is an obvious answer to this, but I am pretty new to LoL.

I was reading through some Jax builds and found an AP build, is there a reason to stack AP on Jax over damage?

I assume damage bonuses would benefit all of his attacks and he gets a +15% bonus damage from items from his passive, but AP only stacks with 3 of his abilities and no bonus, am I missing something?

Lilwang

10-06-2009

people like trying different builds

EchoRex

10-06-2009

His ultimate and opening damage from the jump. Toss in random stuns from dodging. I've done it a few times with him, mass +AP and attack speed and just fire off tons of 1 in 3 shots for 400 damage.

The build isn't as effective as a straight +damage and +attack speed one, but it is fun to watch people under estimate and think they can tank you or not focus you.

Mr Tibbers

10-06-2009

I just like trying weird builds and weak characters. I'm odd like that. As such, when I play Jax, I go AP. Not that it's too bad now anyways, what with all of these AP/DPS items. Rageblade, Rageblade, Nashor's, Tabi, PD, (Insert Survival Item Here).

Diezehl

10-07-2009

Thing is with Jax, regardless of how you go about building him he is an extremely well rounded hero. He is a very robust hero right off the bat, even if you just stack warmog's he is still going to put out serious damage and he is an awesome chaser (not the best by a long shot but he can keep up with almost any hero)

You can stack 1 type of item to increase his damage be it attack damage, speed, or ap (crit rolls off a little in usefulness unless you have invested a little in damage) or you can take a little of everything and still see great results. If you could cap out attack speed and at the same time get a lot of ap then his ultimate would 'charge up' almost instantly and you would basicly be doing your ap/per second, now without that attack speed his ult takes a little while to charge up but essentially you have the same effect in long fights.

Now, factor in his leap strike, a lich bane, rylai's (for slow) and you end up with + movement speed, a slow, a hp boost, and a LOT of damage. Its probably not better than traditional builds, or even straight stacking warmogs but god damn if it isn't a lot of fun.

Motas

10-08-2009

you do it becuz of his AP ratios.

LS 0.1
CA 0.8
RA 0.1

There IS no downside to this hero

Morzas

10-08-2009

I've tried out AP Jax. He works something like this in the late game:

Leap for about 400-500 damage, proc Sheen / Lich Bane / triforce and smack them for about 400 or 500
if you're still alive, Stun for about 400 in AoE, then auto attack for a huge amount again
if you're still alive then, every third hit will deal about 500 damage

He's a lot of fun to play, but a lot squishier than the typical Mallet / Dancer tank build. It's probably just a problem with how I play him. When I play AP Jax, I ignore as many survivability items as I can and play him like a suicide bomber, trying to deal as much pain as I can before I go down. I'm just a reckless player in general.

Mr Tibbers

10-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
I've tried out AP Jax. He works something like this in the late game:

Leap for about 400-500 damage, proc Sheen / Lich Bane / triforce and smack them for about 400 or 500
if you're still alive, Stun for about 400 in AoE, then auto attack for a huge amount again
if you're still alive then, every third hit will deal about 500 damage

He's a lot of fun to play, but a lot squishier than the typical Mallet / Dancer tank build. It's probably just a problem with how I play him. When I play AP Jax, I ignore as many survivability items as I can and play him like a suicide bomber, trying to deal as much pain as I can before I go down. I'm just a reckless player in general.
I'm reckless too. It's why I have to play glass cannons or stack health items relevant to my character.

Edit: Come to think of it, that's how my "Tank Annie" was born. I love Tank Annie.

So much.

TheHeretic

10-08-2009

Because his AP ratios are high and its a powerful build.