How does one play Taric.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leirkov

07-11-2010

I went:

9/0/21

All skills by 3, got heal first, then armor, then stun, maxed out armor (obvs getting ulti) and then heal, then stun.

I did pretty well I assume. Got my last hits in, kept my partner alive, got a few kills in the laning phase, but it's practice and there really weren't team fights and my team was terrible anyway. I did pretty good but the rest sucked (I had the highest kill total on the team..)

Any tips you can offer for Taric?

Thanorodd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2010

You have the skill build. That's basically how you do it.

For items, it depends on how you want to build Taric. He can fill any supportive role on the team; tank, heal, nuker (sortof) and disabler (again, sortof). He provides a strong presence to teamfights because of his stun and armor aura.

Personally, the core of my Taric build consists of Chalice, Treads, and Aegis. After that I'll lean toward Glacial Shroud for CDR and mana, if there is a significant physical damage carry on the other team. That may turn into a Frozen Heart if there's a lot of autoattack damage on the other team, or I may move on to something else with more HP like a Banshee's Veil, or something with AP to give my heals that little boost. It depends on the enemy team.

Some Tarics find success rushing Rod of Ages and using more AP-heavy builds. Taric is pretty fun if you build him like you would build an AP Sion. If you do this, you want to max out Stun before Heal if you want to play offensively, Heal before Stun if you want to be a tanky Soraka. (It works.)

Sheen/Lich Bane can turn Taric into a stronger early/mid-game threat, but he still falls flat as a DPS in late-game, so I wouldn't suggest it. Your primary role is a support, but if built for AP you can deliver some powerful bursts that will help mop up the runners on the enemy team. Attack speed gimmick builds and AP builds that let you to burst for 1000 damage (and then run around useless for the next 10 seconds) don't contribute much to the team.

Either way you go (AP, tank, or some combination of the two) make sure to pick up some CDR somewhere in the item build. Glacial Shroud does this very well and should get you close to CDR maximum, especially if you have any CDR runes. That's why I tend to get it after Aegis.

You'll want a build that doesn't cost more than 7,000 gold. The games I win rarely last more than 30 minutes, and I find that I average around 7-9,000 gold earned per match, depending on how well I do. My "core" build (Chalice 890, Treads 1200, Aegis 1925) costs 4015 gold; this gives me about 3-5000 "luxury" gold a game, allowing for situational buys. Glacial Shroud/Frozen Heart or Banshee's Veil tend to be my next item, and I make liberal use of elixirs to buff myself up and wards to serve my team. My build focuses on tanking, because I find that Taric makes a very appealing target to the enemy team, and if they're going to chase you down you may as well be able to take the hits and let your team get the kills.

I'm not level 30 yet, though, so I might have some wrong ideas.

FaIIenOne

07-11-2010

I personally ignore tarics ult untill level 16 , I'd personally rather just have a stronger nuke / stun / heal.

and i'm always managing a positive K/d ratio, and carrying somehow with taric. Then again might just have a nak for taric.

Leirkov

07-11-2010

Thanks for the advice so far. My build went:

Doran's Ring
Mercury Treads
Chalice of Harmony
Aegis

Team was a bit melee happy so I got a Frozen Heart, then two guys left and we lost. :s

Corpsestomp

07-11-2010

Taric makes a pretty good aura carrier, since he's not really squishy, and already has the armor aura. Build him tank/support. That's what I've been seeing from him, and it works pretty well.

MEMEME670

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanorodd View Post
but he still falls flat as a DPS in late-game, so I wouldn't suggest it.
This is incorrect.

Stun based on distance = he gets into melee range.

Attack damage buff + armor pen AoE = good damage, synergizes with attack speed.

Heal that gets reduced a flat amount per hit = synergizes with attack speed.

He's not as synergistic as like Yi, but he can do the job, given the circumstances.

KalecFash

07-11-2010

No, he still fails at doing damage by the time his ult is level 3. If he is building offensive items, he has no durability. He has no mobility outside of summoner spells, so he has a hard time autoattacking (his stun isn't nearly enough). His spells fail utterly at dealing damage.

Offensive taric is midly better than AD annie or malz or ryze, so stop doing it.

kcops

07-11-2010

Taric is primarily a tank, he is my second my played champ, He doubles as a support.

He is amazing against melee heavy opponents, opposing team had 5 melee champs (bad team), I just pumped armor (sunfires, thormail, ...) and could tank 5 of them under a tower with minimal damage.

He shouldn't be played AD, you can be adventrous and sometimes get a.speed boots or Nashor's Tooth (i think that is what it is called) for ap, cooldown reduction and a.speed.

But most of the time his build would consist of...

Merc Treads
Chalice of Harmony
Spirit Visage
Aegis of Legion

then decide what you need from there, i would usually go sunfire cape but it really depends on the opposing team

Leirkov

07-11-2010

Did a premade with some friends and we stomped some guys, got about 28 assists or something. I like his playstyle and the laning phase isn't really an issue. Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll keep them in mind.

Mr Collie Man

07-11-2010

Taric is a lot of fun if you team up with a competent friend playing a carry. You can easily get 4-5 kills during the lane phase and push the tower early, then move to another lane and help them. It's awesome to deny so much XP to the two poor fools who have to lane vs you, then end the laning phase early by pushing another tower. By mid game, you can pop your ult and watch your team drop towers in no time. His stuns are devastating in team fights. Just be mindful of which squishies on their team were stupid enough to queue up without cleanse (double bonus if they don't get merc treads either) and let your team know that they'll be a sitting duck for 2 long seconds. That stun is an eternity with some good damage on your team.

But wait til ya solo queue with an incompetent team who couldn't damage their way out of a wet paper bag.. there's not much you can do, and they usually blame you for "not healinz me n00b".