Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Magic Penetration

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheDarkHope

07-11-2010

is there a cap for overall magic pen, and starting off magic penetration @ runes? because after buying the last 3 magic pen runes it stays at 14% in my stats at the begining of the game

Carados

07-11-2010

Numeric Armor Pen is only capped by the other player's magic resistance.

TheDarkHope

07-11-2010

it says the number of my magic pen amount, but the percent stays the same.

BlindEternities

07-11-2010

that's because magic pen and % magic pen are calculated seperately. the 14% is probably your lv9 magic pen mastery (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) the mastery it self says 15%, so i'm not sure where the extra 1% goes, but i'm sure there's some sort of diminishing returns calculation.

Matuk

07-11-2010

Quote:
BlindEternities:
that's because magic pen and % magic pen are calculated seperately. the 14% is probably your lv9 magic pen mastery (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) the mastery it self says 15%, so i'm not sure where the extra 1% goes, but i'm sure there's some sort of diminishing returns calculation.

I have always wondered about that, but maybe it's just a glitch in how the number shows. Either that, or characters technically have -1% magic pen at base.

Maybe I should see what that % becomes when I buy a Void Staff, both with and without the mastery.

TheDarkHope

07-11-2010

so the number of penetration via runes is seperate?

TheDarkHope

07-11-2010

and its 49%.

BlindEternities

07-11-2010

Quote:
so the number of penetration via runes is seperate?

no there are two different kinds of magic penetration, flat and %. they are calculated seperately.
here this thread is about armor penetration but there's a list of magic penetration in there as well and armor pen/ magic pen are calculated the same way
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=161206
Quote:
and its 49%.

so ya there probably is some diminishing returns on % magic pen to prevent you from stacking to 100.

Diomedea

07-11-2010

Numeric (flat) magic penetration (the ones from runes, sorc. shoes, etc.) has no cap, but it can't reduce magic resistance below 0.

Percentage-based magic penetration caps at 100% penetration, but it stacks multiplicatively, so you'll never get there.

49% is correct, if you have a void staff and the 15% magic pen. mastery. It's 40% from the staff, plus 15% of what's left, so 60*0.15 = 9%, for a total of 49%.

It stacks the same way as dodge does. This is a quote from a sticky thread that explains how dodge stacks:

Quote:
Stumpster:
Q: How does dodge work?

A: The best way to show how dodge works is an example, let's say you have 10% dodge in your runes.

10% dodge.

You grab Ninja Tabi, which gives 11% dodge.

11% dodge +
(89 * .1) = 8.9% dodge

For a total of 19.9% dodge. (Note that the 89 comes from the percent remaining from the previous dodge percentages have been calculated.)

You then get Phantom Dancer, which gives 20% dodge.

20% dodge +
(80 * .11) = 8.8% dodge +
(71.2 * .1) = 7.12% dodge

For a total of 35.92% dodge.

TheDarkHope

07-11-2010

thanks. thought the % was based on the flat penetration. thanks for correcting. ;]