[Guide]Kog'Maw the Fire Support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alterity

07-11-2010

Kog'Maw, the Fire Support

Backstory:

When the prophet Malzahar was reborn in Icathia, he was led there by an ominous voice which thereafter anchored itself to his psyche. From within, this voice bestowed upon him terrible purpose, and though Malzahar was no longer tormented by its call, the voice did not cease its unrelenting summons. This baleful beacon's gentle flicker -- now fastened to Runeterra -- drew forth a putrid beast that ambled across a threshold it did not understand, widening a fissure between the spaces which were never meant to meet. There amongst the haunting ruins of Icathia, Kog'Maw manifested in Valoran with unsettling curiosity. The spark which led him to Runeterra teased him still, urging him gently towards Malzahar. It also encouraged him to familiarize himself with his new environment, to the stark horror of everything he encountered on his journey.

The enchanting colors and aromas of Runeterra intoxicated Kog'Maw, and he explored the fruits of the strange world the only way he knew how: by devouring them. At first he sampled only the wild flora and fauna he happened across. As he traversed the parched Tempest Flats, however, he came upon a tribe of nomads. Seemingly unhampered by conventional rules of physics, Kog'Maw consumed every nomad and any obstacles they put in his way, amounting to many times his own mass and volume. The most composed of his victims may have had time to wonder if this was due to the caustic enzymes which stung the ground as they dripped from his gaping mouth, although such musings were abruptly concluded. When his wake of catastrophe reached the Institute of War, and enthusiastic Malzahar greeted him with an enticing prospect: taste the best Runeterra could offer...on the Fields of Justice.

'If that's just hungry, I don't want to see angry.' --Tryndamere, the Barbarian King

Playstyle for this guide
This guide is aimed towards an AP based Kog’Maw, with little difficulty in attaining 500-600 AP by endgame on a regular basis. With this combo the Kog’s ult hits very hard, and is difficult to escape from. However, his Q and E ability also share a .7 AP ratio, which is considerable damage at high AP.

Kog’Maw is powerful for high good AP, and his ability to chew enemies up with standard attacks when combined with Bio-Arcane Barrage.

His ult is only useful if you can hit the enemy with it regularly however. If you can’t, this build won’t work for you very well, but with practice it can be excellent. The high burst power allows you to scare many players away, much as Ryze does. If they are fleeing then they are easy targets for your ult.

Kog'Maw's Abilities:

Icathian Surprise (Passive):
Upon dying, Kog'Maw starts a chain reaction in his body which causes him to move faster and detonate after 4 seconds; dealing 100 + (25 x level) true damage to surrounding enemies.

You want to try not to use this ability. But that’s mainly because it requires you to die to use it, which is never a good thing. However take note that this passive will help gain first blood, as if you kill a champion with it, you will get first blood and then they get their kill. However, if this pushes you higher on your kill spree, then you will give more gold to your killer as well. Remember that it is True Damage, so if combined with ignite at high level can take off a third of an opponent’s life at least, guaranteed.

Caustic Spittle (Q):
Passive: Increases Armor Penetration by 13/16/19/22/25%
Active: Kog'Maw launches a corrosive projectile which deals 60/110/160/210/260(0.7 ability power ratio) magic damage and doubles his passive armor penetration for 4 seconds (Removes the passive until available again).

You also want to avoid using this ability, simply because of its short range. However don’t underestimate it as good burst damage. Early game it doesn’t do as much damage, although still fairly high. But end game it tends to do closer to 610 damage before magic resist reduces it, and it is fairly spammable.

Bio-Arcane Barrage (W):
Kog'Maw's attacks gain 140/180/220/260/300 range and deal an additional 2/3/4/5/6% (0.01 ability power ratio) of the target's maximum Health as Magic Damage (Max: 100 Damage vs Monsters). Lasts 6 seconds.

This ability is helpful for attacking turrets, as you don’t need to get as close. However it is much better at killing tanks. Nearing end game this can do around 12% of their health per hit, which is considerable. Unfortunately, with only 1 attack per second, its damage isn’t extremely high. However the range is very helpful.

Void Ooze (E):
Kog'Maw launches ooze which deals 60/110/160/210/260 (0.7 ability power ratio) magic damage to enemies it passes through.
Additionally, it leaves a trail which slows enemies by 28/36/44/52/60% for 4 seconds.

Similar to the first ability but better. It does the same damage as Caustic Spittle, however it slows enemies and does splash. This is needed for farming, but also helps for slowing heroes for your ult. However, it is also an excellent spell for escape, slowing the enemy down either in their path (If you’re beside an ally fleeing you can slow his pursuers) or in their faces(Slow people behind you).

Living Artillery (R):
Kog'Maw fires artillery from a great distance (1400/1700/2000). After a short delay, the artillery falls dealing 80/120/160 (0.3 ability power ratio) magic damage and reveals targets for 4 seconds (deals 150% bonus damage to Champions).
Each subsequent Living Artillery in the next 6 seconds costs 40 additional mana (Max 250).

My favourite ability and what I consider the best. The build is built around effective use of this ult. With long range and relatively good damage without AP, this ability shines with a large mana pool and even more AP. End game this typically does about 320 damage against minions, and with the bonus damage against heroes closer to 800 before Magic Resist.

Masteries:

For my Mastery build I have the tree set up in the form of 16/3/11

Offense Tree:
One- Deadliness
Three- Archmages Savvy
Four- Sorcery
One- Archaic Knowledge
Reason: Archmages Savvy gives more AP, which is what the build is about. Archaic Knowledge gives the magic resist needed for Kog’s spells to do that AP damage, and Sorcery is needed for Archaic Knowledge, and is beneficial.

Defensive Tree:
None
Reason: Ran out of points after spending points in Offense and Utility, it would be useful to have Strength of Spirit with the massive mana pool.

Utility Tree:
Three- Good Hands
One- Perseverance
One- Haste(If going with Ghost)
Four- Awareness
One- Greed
Three-Mediation
Three- Quickness
One-Blink of the Eye (If going with Flash)
Three- Intelligence
One- Presence of the Master

Reason: In the chance that you die, you want to get back as fast as possible, as well as needing to level quickly and being item dependant. Mediation helps alot with keeping mana up, and quickness keeps you moving quickly from the enemies. Intelligence and Presence of the Master help use your escapes more often, and provide cooldown for your spells.

Summoner Spells:

I use Flash and Ghost, but Clairvoyance can help for spotting enemies (And avoiding ganks) and Clarity can help keep mana up.

Runes:

My Rune build is pretty straight forward:

Marks – Magic Penetration
Seals - Magic Regeneration per level
Glyphs - Cooldown Reduction
Quints - Cooldown Reduction

His spells are fairly high cooldown, with his mastery and CDR runes he usually reaches about 30% CDR, which helps spam his spells all the more.

Skill Order:
1.E (You need the slow early for escape or ganks)
2.W (Ranged harassment early)
3.E
4.Q
5.E
6.R
7.W or Q (Depending on what you fight, high armour enemies go with Q, ranged enemies or casters typically go with W as you won’t get close enough for Q)
8.E
9.W or Q
10.E
11.R
12.W or Q
13. W or Q
14. W or Q
15. W or Q
16.R
17. W or Q
18. W or Q

Item Build:
Boots of Speed – I typically want to move quickly, and spending gold on potions delays the next item

Tears of the Goddess- Get this as soon as possible. It helps build a strong mana pool to spam spells, and gives a small amount of mana regen to help keep up your reserves out of combat.
Boots of Swiftness – Upgrade those Boots of speed, as you need to be mobile, to get away from enemies or position yourself well.

Archangles Staff – This provides all the mana regen and mana you’ll need, as well as providing a hefty chunk of AP.

Void Staff – Brings your magic Penetration up even higher, which really helps in clearing heroes. Makes your burst actually do most of its damage.

Crystal Scepter- Crystal Scepter will slow your opponents when hit by your ult, which will help you hit them more often, as slower enemies are easier to hit. It will also provide you with a bit more survivability, and a small boost to AP. The slow helps 3 of your abilities, and the AP helps all four.

Zhonya’s Ring- by this point you should have slightly less than 500 AP

By now the game should’ve ended, if it didn’t end before the Ring. If it hasn’t the next item is up to choice. You can go another Zhonya’s for heavy AP, or Archangles for good AP and nice mana regen. Or you can go Abyssal Sceptre for some MR of your own, along with lowering further your enemies.

Strategy:
The basic strategy early game is to farm and feast on enemies. Be it quick ganks, or minions. As soon as you have enough for a Tears of the Goddess, get it. You need the mana, and you need it for Archangles. Keep back form enemies and use W to harass them, most enemies will take at least double your base damage, and you remain out of range of most of their attacks. If ganked, choose the squishiest and blast them with all your abilities. If they don’t die, then when you die explode on them and they should die by then. Don’t be afraid to occasionally stop moving and take a few hits to drop a few shells on their heads either.

During the entire game, it is a good idea to drop artillery and then use E on the ghosts, wolves or pair of golems to quickly get some easy gold. By 11 you should be able to eliminate all the casters just one artillery shell and E, do this all the time.
In defence try not to stand near the tower. You are squishy enough for most champs to kill you there, and then they will kill your tower anyways. If you must be near the tower, slaughter the caster minions quickly.

If you need to flee, drop E in their path, or in your path, to slow them, while dropping artillery if they are slow enough.

A good strategy is using the forest. You can hide in the forest and bombard the enemy, but be aware that you are revealed when you hit something. Take measures to be able to escape. The forest is great for escapes, especially with Flash, as they will have a hard time avoiding your E goo.

I recommend staying back in teamfights if they have good DPS or very few tanks. You’re better with your artillery against DPS, and they will kill you very very fast. However, Tanks tend to have enough life to take several shells without problem, so it is recommended to move up and bio-arcane barrage them for massive damage.

However, use the player’s fear of death against them. If you burst them for most of their life, they likely can still kill you. However they are more likely to flee then kill you (Much like how many react to a high burst from Ryze). If they are fleeing, they are easy pickings for your artillery.

Beware of Rammus and Ammu, as well as stealthers. They can keep you still long enough for others on their team to crush you, and stealthers can deal massive damage in a short time, ending you quickly.

As noted by commenters, the Ult artillery has an interesting ability. As Phreak showed in his Champion Spotlight, it not only shows the location it is dropping, but reveals whatever it hits. This has multiple uses. The first is that if you can see your enemy you can hit them, even when not in your line of sight. If they are fleeing and you can keep hitting them with your ult you will have a much easier time hitting them later. This also allows you to find Teemo's mushrooms, and other invisible objects, such as wards and stealth champs. However, I have noticed that if Shaco stealths then you don't keep sight of him (Perhaps a bug). You can also use this site to find out of someone if killing Golem, Lizard Baron or Dragon, as Phreak showed in his Champion Spotlight. However, one of the more interesting uses is knowing that it gives the targets sight to you. This means you can use it on minions to see beyond your normal sight range, such as just past a tower. Not always useful, but it can help you see around corners without barraging the entire alley with artillery hoping someone is there.

Lastly, an enemy at ten arm's reaches is an enemy that can't hurt you, but not an enemy you can't hurt.

IndomitusRex

07-11-2010

I don't get why with absolutely zero AD (or even AS) you'd give Caustic Spittle equal priority to Bio-Arcane Barrage. The nuke is so short-ranged it's not really practical to use, and the armour penetration doesn't really help your already pitiful auto-attack damage very much. Against high armour targets you're much better off with BAB. You're also safer leveling BAB first because of the increased range it grants.

Another small critique. If you're not sure if Rylai's Crystal Scepter slows or not, you probably shouldn't be wriiting a guide (not that your guide is particularly bad, just seems that if you're not familiar with a very popular and well recommended item you're probably not knowledgable enough to be instructing others).

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2010

You THINK Rylai's slows people? I'm questioning your skill level already...

Also, you failed to explicitly mention that R causes you to be revealed if you hit the enemy with it.

tibot

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitii View Post

Also, you failed to explicitly mention that R causes you to be revealed if you hit the enemy with it.
only spittle gives the full slow and ooze already slows. though a bullseye artilary will sometimes slow people to a crawl

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibot View Post
only spittle gives the full slow and ooze already slows. though a bullseye artilary will sometimes slow people to a crawl
I already know how Rylai's works out on Kog, but the fact that the guide author isn't sure about something this easily verifiable makes me wonder if he's really able to get the most out of his games or not. It's a credibility issue, and you don't see people making persuasive arguments or the such saying "I think...".

Alterity

07-12-2010

To address your responses:

Quote:
I don't get why with absolutely zero AD (or even AS) you'd give Caustic Spittle equal priority to Bio-Arcane Barrage. The nuke is so short-ranged it's not really practical to use, and the armour penetration doesn't really help your already pitiful auto-attack damage very much. Against high armour targets you're much better off with BAB. You're also safer leveling BAB first because of the increased range it grants.
As I said, this is an AP build, thus based around AP. The other Kog'Maw build, which is well done, focuses more on AD and AS.

Quote:
Another small critique. If you're not sure if Rylai's Crystal Scepter slows or not, you probably shouldn't be wriiting a guide (not that your guide is particularly bad, just seems that if you're not familiar with a very popular and well recommended item you're probably not knowledgable enough to be instructing others).
I meant if it slowed on his Ult, not in general. I know it should slow by 15% due to the fact it is a multi-targeting spell, however I have not tested such as I have been too busy fighting to actually click an enemy to see if he was slowed by it. I said "think" because I am pretty sure it does, but without testing I can'not say for sure.

Quote:

First part, I addressed above.
Second part, I listed that in the skills description, I figured it was fairly obvious what you would use the sight for. However I will add some strategy for using the revealing part of the ultimate, even though you would use it like that no matter what Kog'Maw build.

Quote:
Yes only spittle gives full slow, and ooze already slows, but the artillery (Which the build is based around mind you) will slow as others have stated.

Quote:
I already know how Rylai's works out on Kog, but the fact that the guide author isn't sure about something this easily verifiable makes me wonder if he's really able to get the most out of his games or not. It's a credibility issue, and you don't see people making persuasive arguments or the such saying "I think...".
Addressed above, due to the verification of others, that has been changed.

Thank you for the verification people, but as I mentioned, when busy killing people it is more important to finish the job rather then see what slows are effecting them. I could've taken it into a practice game and tested, but it wasn't overly worth it when I knew other players would verify quickly