"It's a custom game derptard"

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yndyr

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
This is more like "imagine if people could be reported for ruining your 5-man pug instance run by intentionally training mobs into the group, and you didn't have the option to kick them". Yes, you could avoid the problem by not running with a pickup group. That doesn't make it right.

You missed the point.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Ferret

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yndyr View Post
No, it's not. That 5-man pug instance has a lasting impact on your character, statistics, etc.

Your comparing something permanent to a session based game mode where stats are not recorded, and the outcome has no affect on your account.
You are still ruining the fun of 9 other people hell maybe 4 other people. Still does not make it right just because it is not recorded dude. Please get over yourself and stop trying to find ways to justifty being a jerk to people who just want to have fun.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yndyr

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ferret View Post
You are still ruining the fun of 9 other people hell maybe 4 other people. Still does not make it right just because it is not recorded dude. Please get over yourself and stop trying to find ways to justifty being a jerk to people who just want to have fun.
Please get over yourself and stop thinking you're always right, and that your only purpose is to disprove others. Your name alone shows your undeserved ego. This is a forum for expressing ideas, and you feel the need to be a jerk here?

The point is that the Tribunal was created to improve matchmaking, just as LeaverBuster was. It has no place in custom games. It was made to ensure that those put together with random peopleare ensured they have a pleasant experience.

You are never forced to play through a custom game, you are playing with strangers yes, but you have a choice of who those strangers are. This is not the case with matchmaking, and why any of these things exist.

Being a jerk has nothing to do with it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vichar

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Actually, I think Tribunal should apply to customs. Most people play customs because they want to have fun without the pressures of ranked or even normal blind pick (which still invisibly affects a ranking).

If people are rude to others in customs, many of whom are very new to the game, it is against the spirit of the Summoner's Code.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yndyr

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichar View Post
Actually, I think Tribunal should apply to customs. Most people play customs because they want to have fun without the pressures of ranked or even normal blind pick (which still invisibly affects a ranking).

If people are rude to others in customs, many of whom are very new to the game, it is against the spirit of the Summoner's Code.
People are rude in every game mode. It's irrelevant. The difference is that you can choose to not play with people in custom games ever again, and if you're a good enough judge of character, even in the first place.

Riot's rules and the summoner's code should be in place in matchmaking, but when it comes to custom games, private matches, it should be the game owner's rules that apply.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Ferret

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yndyr View Post
Please get over yourself and stop thinking you're always right, and that your only purpose is to disprove others. Your name alone shows your undeserved ego. This is a forum for expressing ideas, and you feel the need to be a jerk here?

The point is that the Tribunal was created to improve matchmaking, just as LeaverBuster was. It has no place in custom games. It was made to ensure that those put together with random peopleare ensured they have a pleasant experience.

You are never forced to play through a custom game, you are playing with strangers yes, but you have a choice of who those strangers are. This is not the case with matchmaking, and why any of these things exist.

Being a jerk has nothing to do with it.
The tribunal was not created to improve the match making system. Thats what the unskilled player report is for.

The tribunal is made to get rid of the jerks and the trolls and the like. To get rid of those that the community believes that ruins the fun of the game. It has 0 to do with the match making system dude. Where did you hear this,. Because according to riot and reds it is to have a cleaner community free of harassment , trolls, and the like.

Also the leavebuster was put in place to encurage people NOT to leave games. Not to improve the matchmaking again. Please provide from proof on your claims.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yndyr

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ferret View Post
The tribunal was not created to improve the match making system. Thats what the unskilled player report is for.

The tribunal is made to get rid of the jerks and the trolls and the like. To get rid of those that the community believes that ruins the fun of the game. It has 0 to do with the match making system dude. Where did you hear this,. Because according to riot and reds it is to have a cleaner community free of harassment , trolls, and the like.

Not every player is a member of the community. You see, the only reason there is a "community" and with that a need to police it, is because it is a free game and you are required to log into Riot's servers to play. Anybody is able to join, and Riot has made a game as simple as clicking a few buttons and the rest of the work is done by the pvp.net client until you get to pick a champion.

A community in a game is a collection of people who play together. Not every single person that logs into the game, but people who actually play matches together.

The largest community in this game are those that queue up by themselves into the matchmaking system, and even then "community" only means "pool of players that don't have enough friends that play the game, and so use matchmaking to find people to play with"

In most online games, you have havens for communities, such as servers in session based games and guilds in persistent world games, places where the community can police itself through the form of restricting or revoking membership or whatever means are made available by the game software itself.

In League of Legends there is no support for this kind of true community, the closest thing to it being custom games. This is where the element of choice comes into play. In custom games, you can choose who you play with, who you let into your custom games, your community, in essence.

In normal games and ranked solo queue games, you don't have this privilege, and players are penalized for leaving or defending themselves from a negative experience. This is why Tribunal exists. To clean up the matchmaking community, those who use solo queue and can't leave games, those that don't have a choice in who they play with.

League of Legends itself is not a community. League of Legends is a game. There are many communities that play it, and the Tribunal is a system designed to police one of these many communities, the solo queuers.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that the mechanics of custom games are identical to solo queue matchmaking games(i.e. there is a report feature on the post game screen), it's possible for players who do not enter matchmaking and even have no desire to use it to wind up in the tribunal for cases that are a result of other players entering a community without knowing it's culture.

Quote:
Also the leavebuster was put in place to encurage people NOT to leave games. Not to improve the matchmaking again. Please provide from proof on your claims.
The fact that it only punishes in matchmade games isn't proof enough?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vichar

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yndyr View Post
People are rude in every game mode. It's irrelevant. The difference is that you can choose to not play with people in custom games ever again, and if you're a good enough judge of character, even in the first place.

Riot's rules and the summoner's code should be in place in matchmaking, but when it comes to custom games, private matches, it should be the game owner's rules that apply.
I see your point, I really do. I just don't agree with it.

I shouldn't have to remember the names of all the rude people I've come across (say, in my ignore list) just so that I can have a decent online game experience.

First, let me say that I don't personally care if I get called a noob or verbally abused. I kind of have a chuckle to myself, because what I actually hear is, "I'm insecure and I want to puff out my chest online, because in person I'd never dare insult you."

But I digress. Back on point, my girlfriend plays customs. I bought the Riot pack in a store so she could start off with a bunch of champs. She doesn't like normal because the difficulty level of playing other people is too hard for her. She stopped playing the game. Her reason? She didn't like how rude people were to her. They kept calling her bad and other less flattering terms. Now, my gf is one of the sweetest people I know, and I am really kinda irritated because now she won't play the game with me because of all these people in custom games. Seriously, you have to troll custom games and tell people they are bad? I just wasted my $ because people are really rude.

So, yeah, I might be biased, but I definitely think Tribunal should apply to custom games. By your logic, if people are rude at the gym (where I pay membership dues), I should just stop going to that gym. The gym shouldn't have a policy against people hitting me on the way to the hoop.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SimplyAlive

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yndyr View Post
The point is that the Tribunal was created to improve matchmaking, just as LeaverBuster was. It has no place in custom games. It was made to ensure that those put together with random peopleare ensured they have a pleasant experience.
I just wanted to say that I strongly disagree with this. In my eyes, the Tribunal was created to improve the gaming experience of their players. In that view, custom games do apply as well.

If a troll intentionally ruins an ARAM match, you can bet on it that I'll report him. It is intentional disruption of gameplay, regardless of game mode.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yndyr

Senior Member

12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichar View Post
I see your point, I really do. I just don't agree with it.

I shouldn't have to remember the names of all the rude people I've come across (say, in my ignore list) just so that I can have a decent online game experience.

First, let me say that I don't personally care if I get called a noob or verbally abused. I kind of have a chuckle to myself, because what I actually hear is, "I'm insecure and I want to puff out my chest online, because in person I'd never dare insult you."

But I digress. Back on point, my girlfriend plays customs. I bought the Riot pack in a store so she could start off with a bunch of champs. She doesn't like normal because the difficulty level of playing other people is too hard for her. She stopped playing the game. Her reason? She didn't like how rude people were to her. They kept calling her bad and other less flattering terms. Now, my gf is one of the sweetest people I know, and I am really kinda irritated because now she won't play the game with me because of all these people in custom games. Seriously, you have to troll custom games and tell people they are bad? I just wasted my $ because people are really rude.

So, yeah, I might be biased, but I definitely think Tribunal should apply to custom games. By your logic, if people are rude at the gym (where I pay membership dues), I should just stop going to that gym. The gym shouldn't have a policy against people hitting me on the way to the hoop.
I don't like to use metaphors with people I don't know personally, because usually they're really only based on perspective. It's like art, either you see artists' intent or you make your own, and the message is different to all that experience it.

By my logic, comparing it to the gym, I see it as someone entering someone else's private gym in their own garage and complaining that the big buff dudes that always hang out there are making fun of the newcomer's wimpy arms. I see matchmaking as the gym membership, and custom games as the home gym.

I'm not saying there are not negative communities in custom games, but the Tribunal is not the proper way to deal with them.

The problem doesn't stem from the negative players, but it lies solely with the players who find themselves in these negative experiences. PVP.net does not provide players with the means to find communities they would like. It leaves them to search through hundreds or thousands of players to find the ones they like, and are provided with nothing but a glorified IM friends list to track them. The clan systems that were promised in late beta have yet to come into fruition. The closest thing we have to it now are ranked teams, and while they are a step in the right direction, they are a far cry from what I had hoped would ultimately be implemented.
Consider many FPS games, and the clans that play them. Players are left to find servers they like, and are free to add them to a list or write them down. There are administrators to police the servers, and the regular players who make it their main arena for play.

League of Legends offers no such stability or familiarity, and we are left to put a lot more effort into finding a community, due to the nature of pvp.net and the whole of it's capabilities as far as community goes. Most players will simply queue up for games or join one of many random custom games, and are unwilling to put in any effort to find players that they actually enjoy playing with, simply content to report players they don't like because hoping that the company will remove those they find undesirable, rather than removing themselves from the atmosphere that creates these negative experiences.

The tribunal in custom games would be akin to going to a privately owned specialty gym(custom games with subjectively rude players) and telling the manager(report feature) about every person that offends you, when you could easily do a little research or put in an effort to find someone that has a comfortable home gym with a pleasant atmosphere(clans or communities that do custom games, irc channels, etc), or just take the easy way out and go to Planet Fitness(matchmaking, normal, ranked) where they have a lunk alarm(Tribunal) to prevent any offense.

Did I mention I don't like to use metaphors with people I don't know personally?


123