Runes, Masteries, and Jungling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LionTango

06-06-2014

I'm level 15 now and I've primarily jungled. I've noticed that clearing the jungle at early levels seems considerably more difficult for me than people who have masteries and runes.

1. Are masteries/runes a big part of early jungle clearing?

2. I know that masteries are restricted by level, but are runes also restricted by level? Or can I start using them right now? I saw a spot in the shop to purchase runes and I don't mind spending money to get them if they will help.

Thanks in advance!

Isamichi

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTango View Post
I'm level 15 now and I've primarily jungled. I've noticed that clearing the jungle at early levels seems considerably more difficult for me than people who have masteries and runes.

MASSIVE part in jungling. the lack of runes and masteries won't PREVENT you from jungling. It, however, will reduce the effectiveness of certain junglers to where the pool of champs to jungle will is significantly smaller than if you had full runes and masteries.
Quote:

2. I know that masteries are restricted by level, but are runes also restricted by level? Or can I start using them right now? I saw a spot in the shop to purchase runes and I don't mind spending money to get them if they will help.

Thanks in advance!
Specific runes are not restricted by level. However, the number of rune SLOTS you have are restricted. The general concensus is to hold out on runes until level 20. At this point, you can start buying the strongest runes (tier 3) and using them. I agree with that, and I, personally, argue that people should consider getting tier 1 runes due to how ridiculously cheap they are. Just make sure to skip Tier 2 because they're not worth it.

UnRen

06-07-2014

To reiterate just take whoever's version helps more

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTango View Post

1. Yes, basically all jungle minions do physical damage. This means your early armor runes will help you sustain some. It also allows you to get scaling magic resist runes so you'll have a little extra mr late game. Any extra runes like life steal runes can just help out a tad there too. Many jungles are still viable without runes, they'll just have to go back after the first jungle clear or require a slightly harder (longer) leash on their first large camp to sweep through the jungle.

2.Basically you only want to buy tier 3 runes because anything else you'll just throw away in a little while. I've heard 20 also mentioned as a fine time to start buying some t3 runes but that is completely up to you. People usually start out with an AD and AP page.