Soraka help (ult and gold)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2010

Simply put, how do you increase your odds of spotting someone needing help of Wish before they die? Especially during laning phase, when there's two situations to look at, and you can't always autopilot in your own lane.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? I dunno. Next closest thing I've come to being a support champion is AP Nidalee and Anivia with Clairvoyance.

Next thing I believe is actually a universal problem with Soraka is getting gold; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Other than using Infuse, is there any way to help Soraka get last-hits? Her attacks and Starcall are just awful as hell. I tried Ignite (went 7/4/17, easily the best gold income of all my games), but I'm not sure if it is really viable or not.

Pwnacus Maximus

07-11-2010

as far as needing a wish, if you play with friends try to use ventrilo, it helps alot. otherwise make a habit of checking on people every ~30 seconds or so. it only takes about 5 seconds to check everyone and you will save alot of lives.

Gunslinger

07-11-2010

Use the minimap. When you're safe and laning with some one, check other teammates locations while looking back at your minimap every other second to make sure you're not about to get hit. Odds are by the time you get your ult, the two enemy champs in your lane should be frustrated and low on hp due to you keeping your lane partner topped off while he his harassing nonstop.

As for gold: don't steal last hits on champions. You're a support character, you want that gold to go to your carries. You get a nice chunk of gold from assists. Last hit all the minions you want, but you want the gold on the teammate who will be getting all the kills. Making you rich enough that your heal does 80 more per heal isn't going to change the game outcome.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

07-11-2010

I am a fan of Space Bar when I am a support character, especially Soraka. Watch your mini map and see where your teammates are in relation to the enemy. When you see their icons overlap, they are usually fighting, or extremely close to each other. If you see the icons stay overlapped long enough click on them to see what is going on. Hitting Space Bar at this point will center the game back to you, that way you can still watch yourself. As Soraka you shouldn't be near the front line in your lane anyways, so you should be pretty safe, just stay back healing your lane mate and you can have all sorts of control on map viewing. When you are are viewing another teammate just watch your icon on the mini map, if you see an enemy get close, space bar, move on.

Now Wish, I think this is the most ridiculous farming skill in the game, if used at the right moment. The CD on wish isn't terribly long, and can easily brought down to a fairly quick CD with the right items. Obviously the main use of this skill is to save your teammates from a global position. However it can also be used to get assists and extra gold to build Soraka to a healing beast. When I am her I spend a great deal of my time watching my teammates on a global level, I like to keep tabs on everyone. I like to see if they are setting up a gank. If I see this happening I will watch, and right as enemies start to die, I will toss out wish to heal my teammates, even if they don't need it. Why? To get the assist kill, get the gold, buff my champion.

Now the downside of this, is my ultimate is now on CD and can't be used, but with the correct items that is but a momentary problem. The upside to this is you can easily get a ton of gold early game and have a heal that restores a massive amount of health. I have picked up 3 or more assists at one time using this tactic. Doing this several times a game you can have a large amount of assists and great items early. Now the major word of caution on this is to get a feel for your team, watch what is happening. If you are comfortable with your teams skill and playing you can spam this tactic more often. If you see your team dieing a lot, or team fights your team is getting dropped, save your Wish.

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horr0r View Post
As for gold: don't steal last hits on champions. You're a support character, you want that gold to go to your carries.
I don't KS intentionally, that would be bad. All I'm asking for is the bare necessities, then I'm good to go for the most part. Now that you mention it, I don't think I ever actually laned with a carry lol.

As for the rest of the responses, I guess I just need to keep up the practice and habits. Thanks for the input!

MMM So Moist

07-11-2010

you guise ever heard of the minimap? i heard its pretty useful

doomenstein

07-11-2010

learn to last hit with starcall and your autoattack. Soraka isn't a crazy fast pusher, but she can rack up last hits really well.

If you really need help with getting gold, you can pick up smite and smite mastery. An extra minion kill and 5 gold every 70 seconds (60 with full utility masteries) can really add up. Besides, you don't really NEED any summoner spells as Soraka.

In any case, you Soraka is really item independent, IMO. You don't need 6 crazy expensive items on her; you really just need boots, everything else is just luxury.

neurotoxicity

07-11-2010

I often keep an eye on the list of allied champs on the left hand side of the screen, as it shows all of their current health. If someone goes dangerously low, especially if minimap shows that they are probably in combat, I'll use wish.

Corpsestomp

07-11-2010

I wouldn't completely depend on that, since I know in the past, and sometimes still, it doesn't update really quickly. You're better off using it early, than late.

Kajitii

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomenstein View Post
learn to last hit with starcall and your autoattack. Soraka isn't a crazy fast pusher, but she can rack up last hits really well.

If you really need help with getting gold, you can pick up smite and smite mastery. An extra minion kill and 5 gold every 70 seconds (60 with full utility masteries) can really add up. Besides, you don't really NEED any summoner spells as Soraka.

In any case, you Soraka is really item independent, IMO. You don't need 6 crazy expensive items on her; you really just need boots, everything else is just luxury.
Eh, I can really get last hits well with a champion with a fast auto-attack animation like Ashe and Nasus, and I do so-so with Anivia, whose auto-attack animation is a bit random. Soraka's animation is consistent, but consistently very long. A whole lot can happen between the time I tell Soraka to attack, and when the projectile actually lands. Anything like minions getting in too many hits, lane mate sniping the kill (yeah, share the wealth, whatever), or the enemy moving to harass with something nasty are all things that can cause last-hitting to fail.

I kinda agree with not really needing summoner spells as Soraka, but why not just milk them for extra benefits xD I'll check out Smite though, since I haven't really tried it, and yet it sounds promising for having a short cooldown.

As for my "core" items for Soraka, it's Boots2, Mana Manipulator, and Needlessly Large Rod. The reason for the Rod is because it makes my spells heal/hit much harder per use, and makes for efficiency when giving out heals. Depending on the other team and their play styles, I might swap the Rod for Aegis instead. That's about 3.5k gold or something. Spare gold is used for wards and extra items as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotoxicity View Post
I often keep an eye on the list of allied champs on the left hand side of the screen, as it shows all of their current-
Riot needs to fix that first >_>