Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Who writes this stuff?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BelZoness

12-18-2011

Quote:
http://www.grammarbook.com/numbers/numbers.asp:
Spell out single-digit whole numbers. Use numerals for numbers greater than nine.

Examples:
I want five copies.
I want 10 copies.

It's a simple guideline, really. That said, the number nine is most decidedly not greater than nine, yet riot calls Ahri the "9 Tails Fox'. This kind of writing looks like a lazy text message.

Which brings me to my next complaint about Ahri's title. Let's assume for the sake of grammar that she is now the Nine Tails Fox. Without hyphenation, a participle construction, or presupposition of reference to a member of a set of 400+ creatures ranging between electric rodents and universe creators that all conveniently fit into a ball the size of an orange, this is an awkward phrase to say at best. The most common way of describing a vulpine creature by its tail count is to use a hyphenated word consisting of the number and the word 'tailed'.

Therefore I suggest Ahri be retitled to the Nine-tailed fox. It's absolutely ridiculous to not have this construction and the concept is perfectly public-domain in terms of Asian mythology.

Also I would like to submit that whoever does proofreading for Riot be submitted to a modest reprimand. This kind of writing looks really childish and unprofessional.

P.S. I am not an English major.

geburgess

12-18-2011

+1

Although, I think it should be "Nine-tailed Fox" as it's still a title, so should be capitalized. Not 100% on that, not an English major either.

Berk Berkly

12-18-2011

While I agree those guidelines most definitely would improve the quality of grammar of Riot writing, I can't shake the feeling the traditional English structure is filled with arbitrary rules, nonsensical spelling, and oriented toward the paper medium, rather than a more practical medium independent logic.

Naturally, if you are going to use a language to communicate in, you might as well apply all of its contrivances, but it really should have update or rework of its own.

Mwaheed

12-19-2011

Hm, sounds about right: Nine-tailed Fox...

Bump for Riot?

Antmoss

12-19-2011

Really?

Drunk Klaus

12-19-2011

Quote:
BelZoness:
It's a simple guideline, really. That said, the number nine is most decidedly not greater than nine, yet riot calls Ahri the "9 Tails Fox'. This kind of writing looks like a lazy text message.

Which brings me to my next complaint about Ahri's title. Let's assume for the sake of grammar that she is now the Nine Tails Fox. Without hyphenation, a participle construction, or presupposition of reference to a member of a set of 400+ creatures ranging between electric rodents and universe creators that all conveniently fit into a ball the size of an orange, this is an awkward phrase to say at best. The most common way of describing a vulpine creature by its tail count is to use a hyphenated word consisting of the number and the word 'tailed'.

Therefore I suggest Ahri be retitled to the Nine-tailed fox. It's absolutely ridiculous to not have this construction and the concept is perfectly public-domain in terms of Asian mythology.

Also I would like to submit that whoever does proofreading for Riot be submitted to a modest reprimand. This kind of writing looks really childish and unprofessional.

P.S. I am not an English major.

Thank you, I was about to make a thread saying pretty much the exact same things.

I've found 15+ spelling/grammar mistakes in front page announcements. Riot really should hire someone to proof read things.

InflictedChaoS

12-19-2011

Point seen, but abit unnecessary.

Bit late now i guess, probably should have mentioned it while she was being previewed still, i dont think anyone will change all the names of her in the entire game now that it is released..

Stinky Diver

12-23-2011

I'm sad this wasn't fixed on the quick patch we got today.