Brand v Malzahar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apøcalypto

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2011

I have just gotten 6300 IP and was wondering which champion would be best to get, I personally have played Malzahar but that was my first week ever playing this game and have never played Brand. Currently I play Morgana and I like her kind of gameplay but am looking for a more effective mage.

The magi i have played are:
Annie(I don't much care for her),
Vladimir(too squishy),
Veigar(liked but less than Morgana)
Orianna(disliked a lot)

Any advise for me? should I wait and try Brand first?

Edit: I have made my decision, against the majority of your suggestions and now play Malz. I took a test run on two of my friend's account to try them out, frankly I am just better as Malz, just today i got a 17/4 game and an 18/7.

P.S.: Don't hate me, I got him with RP as a Christmas present from a friend

Juzt

12-17-2011

Malzhar is highly combo based but he sustains mana quite well kill minions with his E dot ability. (If you land his combo by level 6 your golden) More magic pen the stronger W will do damage.

Brand requires more magic pen so his passive takes a better affect. You need to buy mana and mana regen to sustain lane farming and harass.

BendyBread

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2011

Personally I'd say Brand, just because he brings more to the team.

Malzahar is more of a 1v1 mage, and his ultimate disables himself and is single-targetted, making it deadly in a teamfight if he gets caught.
Brand has 2 powerful AoE spells (potentially 3 if Blaze is on someone), and a stun with Sear.

SavageWolves

12-17-2011

I'm a Brand man. You can harass in lane with E and his passive, then land stuns and pillars at opportunties.

IMO, brand is a better pusher and teamfighter than malz when used correctly. (W and E crush the entire wave almost instantly when you need it).

And Brand is much more dangerous pre 6 and when his ult isn't up because of his stun.

Brand is very skillshot dependent. Being able to land q and w is key to playing him.

Jxanadu

12-18-2011

In lane Malz wins, Malz in lane is a unstoppable train of Damage + Sustain and you don't even have to be near the minions half the time to clear a wave. Malz is a 1 v 1 mage as stated above, who would alone personally destroy a Brand solo.

Yet, if you're looking for a late game team aspect, Brand is your man since in Team fights, half of his abilities are AOE including his Ult which can be a game changer, his stun is also nice to. Brand can be a niche champ and win the game when all seems lost or just get fed early and take your team to victory with little effort after a point.

xMatori

12-18-2011

i'd say both

Bork9128

12-18-2011

I vote Brand
2 dorans rings solve most of his sustain problems in lane and his E gives him a great poke and his ult alone has bursted down their carry before they could kill me

Soulreviver

12-18-2011

In all honesty brand is an easier player to go with. His damage output early game and his ability to harass easily give him excellent laning ability. He can play mid and side lanes well, though in mid his burst damage becomes a lot more apparent. In this, brand is better for people who prefer a mage easier to play that can still do tons of damage.

Malzahar is a completely separate type of mage. His early game harass is not as strong as brand and so does not help to zone. His early game abilities do not do much damage by themselves and so if you try to burst someone down, they are likely to kill you first. That being said, Malz has by far the best AP scaling on any balanced mage, hands down. If you build Malz a ROA and follow up with typical mage builds, his damage output exceeds that of almost any mage. With his combination Q-E-W-R, you not only get an intense DOT combo, but you have a voidling there too that does massive amounts of damage. People underestimate Malz’s voidlings. They are possibly one of the most powerful of his abilities, despite it being only a passive. Think of heimer’s turret, only where heimer’s turret loses attack speed after a period, this little guy gains 2X health and 2X attack speed (forgive me if those specific stats are wrong). In mid, this is amazing, as you can throw your e at someone or minion and watch all the minions die, or watch that someone lose a large amount of health, because voidlings are in fact faster than champs with level 1 boots, I haven’t tested level 2 yet. Finally, malz’s combo can end up, if you have 600 AP, doing almost 2k damage + 50-65% of the enemies health, depending on your mpen and their mr. Personally, I have found malz efficient at killing ad melee chars, as long as you have ROA and maybe a giants belt, you can take some hits, and then when they engage, you lay down q to stop any incoming abilities, w-e-r for the DOT, and q to finish up the job.

DA

12-18-2011

judging by your list of dislikes, you should not play AP mids.

Find a different role

Sawsers

12-18-2011

Malzahar is an extremely strong laner and is stays strong all game if you have a good team

If you can get your team to keep enemies on top of your Null Zone, the fight is won.

Malzahar is often called a 1v1 mage, which he is, but he can also do well in teamfights. An AoE silence that deals high damage and a pool that can deal over 40% of the enemies health is pretty great.

So basically Malzahar is feared in 1v1 situations, and you will regret ignoring him in a team fight.