Solo Laning: Why Middle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noetherian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2009

I notice that in most games people who want to solo-lane ask for the middle. Additionally, when I read guides that suggest solo-laning, they also recommend the middle.

This is probably a stupid question, but why is the middle lane the preferred lane to solo? Is there some strategic reason (which I am missing) that a team benefits from sending their solo-player to the middle lane?

Thanks.

MaxTea

Adjudicator

10-06-2009

less brush and its a common trait 2 see in dota. lot of old schools still like it i guess

Kathra

10-06-2009

There are forests near the creeps at the top and bottom lanes which can hide opponents. Generally in the middle lane you can see enemies approach (there's forests to the side but they're much farther away), so it's much easier to go 2v1.

That's the main reason I prefer the middle lane, although I find the minion arrangement in the middle makes it less likely to get trapped behind them near the tower also.

Edit: The run back to the middle lane is also quicker.

Highborne

10-06-2009

I like less bush when going up the middle solo.

Sorry had to be said.

ianderson

Adjudicator

10-06-2009

Going solo in the mid gives you a 10 second head start to farming compared to the other lanes(because of the shorter lane) you want your carry to have every possible advantage. It's also good because ganks can come from both sides... but you also can get ganked from both sides.

Also there is less bush for enemys to hide in.

Mzum

10-06-2009

Solo's in the middle lane have easier access to reinforcements from the surrounding lane(s) or a jungling hero.

Kabelis

10-06-2009

The advantage in LoL isn't nearly as obvious as in DotA, so yea, most of the time people do it sheerly because of the habit from DotA.

Gooberry

10-06-2009

i always go mid becasue it seems like that is where the big push usually comes up every game and i dont trust anyone else to hold down the first tower for a long time except me, but i like to have a partner cause the faster you push mid the quicker the games usually ends

Pen15Mightier

10-06-2009

There's also a lot less 'chasing' distance between the first two towers. This is the only real reason to solo mid. If you are playing a hero without a natural escape mechanism.

Burninator

10-06-2009

Several reasons:
1. You have less space between the towers, allowing you to farm all you want and still have a short trip to the safety of the tower.
2. You can freely gank both top and bot lanes.
3. There are no bushes from which you can be easily assaulted.
4. By convention, you will typically face off against their solo.
5. If you don't have teleport and have to blue pill, it's a short trip back to your lane.
6. Ashe is a popular solo, and midlane is easy to frost arrow from the fountain.