Magic Resist runes on my Nocturne Jungle build - Advice please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mad Jim8896

12-16-2011

Hey, everyone. I've been considering changing my Jungle Nocturne build up a little to give myself a leg up in the jungle early and get myself out and ganking more quickly.
Unfortunately, to do this I will need to swap out my MR/lvl glyphs for something else (eg. AS glyphs).

I've run the numbers on my total magic damage mitigation at lv18 on all four build options (I don't always get Mercury's treads, depending on if they'll benefit me enough) with this equation:

Magic damage taken = 100/(100+MR)

But I'd like some advice before I do. The damage mitigations are as follows:
MR mitigation with...
Banshees + Merc treads + glyphs = 45.085% mage damage taken
Banshees + glyphs = 50.813% mage damage taken
Banshees + Merc treads = 50.632% mage damage taken
Banshees = 57.971% mage damage taken

Anyway, can anybody here advise me on whether I should keep or ditch the MR/lvl glyphs on my build for a bit of AS or something?

breadbocks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2011

No, don't ditch the mr/lvl blues. AS blues are a waste, and there's no reason to ever use them. AP blues would increase your speed more, by putting more damage on Q, but you wouldn't do that, would you?

Mad Jim8896

12-16-2011

Q scales off AD, not AP.

breadbocks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2011

I meant E. The chain thing. I'm not a noc player.

The point is, AS blues are a waste of 9 rune spots. If you own them, get a refund.

Mad Jim8896

12-16-2011

They only add 9 extra DPS to my E then anyway. The MR/lvl's utility far outweighs that tiny damage boost.

And I didn't specifically say AS glyphs. Those were just the first ones that popped to mind.

Mad Jim8896

12-16-2011

Bumping. Come on, can anyone else give me advice?

dirtpoor

12-17-2011

You got it backwards. You are a jungler so you want armor. Nocturne has a spellshield. So you want to offset that with more armor.

I run jungle noc with attack speed marks, flat armor seals, attack speed glyphs, lifesteal quints + doran blade.

Rush two early gold over time items and rush a trinity before the end of mid game.

Cyxe

12-17-2011

I use flat magic resist quints on Noc Jungler. Even a lane Noc needs this damage mitigation. A nice round figure for late game is 130 MR. Here's one way to think about melee fighters: The longer you survive, the more time you have to DPS. More DPS is the ultimate goal, it doesn't matter how you achieve this, so long as it's effective. MR works even though on paper, it doesn't seem as appealing as raw damage.

Cyxe

12-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpoor View Post
You got it backwards. You are a jungler so you want armor. Nocturne has a spellshield. So you want to offset that with more armor.

I run jungle noc with attack speed marks, flat armor seals, attack speed glyphs, lifesteal quints + doran blade.
That sounds horrible. I'm surprised you can even play, let alone win a game. A proper Jungling Noc pubstomp build is more like this:

Quints: Armor Pen
Marks: 3 Flat damage, 6 Armor pen
Seals: Flat armor
Glyphs: Flat magic resist

Start with a Cloth armor and 5 health pots, and go straight for Zerker treads, Wriggels, and a Brutalizer -> Ghostblade + Banshee's veil.

Cyxe

12-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbocks View Post
No, don't ditch the mr/lvl blues. AS blues are a waste, and there's no reason to ever use them. AP blues would increase your speed more, by putting more damage on Q, but you wouldn't do that, would you?
I think there's a general misunderstanding between "per level" runes and "flat" runes, but I believe it's fairly straightforward. "per level runes" help you late game. "flat" runes help you early game. As a jungler, early game is the most crucial part of the round, so you want to be harder to kill, "mr/lvl blues" will be useless and therefore you may as well not have any glyphs at all on your jungler.