Why is LoL more popular than HoN

1234567 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chupathingy

12-16-2011

Its not just that LoL was free and HoN wasn't. The games are completely different. HoN has a lot more going on in the game and is generally considered to be noob unfriendly, with its denying, hectic fights, fights that one screw up and you instantly lose, etc. Yes these are all in LoL but when you first start playing most of these things have not been established yet. Only when you get to higher levels do these things start to matter.

A good example of this is Starcraft. Starcraft is an extremely simple game. You have units that counter other units and units that counter the counter. Only when you start involving the player does the game become complex. They players in Starcraft, as well in LoL create the difficulty of the game. Not the game itself where HoN does in a sense. (yes HoN does scale off player skill but the game is also more difficult to manage to begin with).

Timeflies

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2011

A much better community. And the game is much easier to learn due to its better design. Also, HoN is boring -- all the heroes are pretty much the same as from Dota; except they changed the names to confuse you..

Nightlynx

12-16-2011

I tried HoN on garena (it's free).... well...The client is pretty bad, everything is GREYSCALE... -.- (well there are colours but they overdid the doom and gloom)

Hero selection is confusing (not as clear cut, icons bleeding small, which makes the ten free champions per week bleeding hard to see) and they do not load the map before hero selection, so the back ground is still that doom and gloom thing, which paired with the tiny doom and gloom icons it just hurts the eyes.

never started a real match because it stopped when someone left the queue and i couldnt find any proper matches to go into. map loading is slow and confusing half the time you aren't sure whether the map is loading (even when map is loading a bar pops up showing the loading progress but the main interface is not changed, the bar lays over the interface which shows announcements and all that ****.)

tutorial was okay, but my god those turrets are worthless. o.0 I was playing a mage champ and i could tank and down turrets without much items.O.O

If they cleaned up the client it would be much better...

Sir Hamilton III

12-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupathingy188 View Post
Its not just that LoL was free and HoN wasn't. The games are completely different. HoN has a lot more going on in the game and is generally considered to be noob unfriendly, with its denying, hectic fights, fights that one screw up and you instantly lose, etc. Yes these are all in LoL but when you first start playing most of these things have not been established yet. Only when you get to higher levels do these things start to matter.

A good example of this is Starcraft. Starcraft is an extremely simple game. You have units that counter other units and units that counter the counter. Only when you start involving the player does the game become complex. They players in Starcraft, as well in LoL create the difficulty of the game. Not the game itself where HoN does in a sense. (yes HoN does scale off player skill but the game is also more difficult to manage to begin with).
Did you just compare the complexity of Starcraft to League of Legends..? SC is 1000000x more unforgiving than any MOBA.

Eilos

12-16-2011

Personally, I play LoL because I find it more aesthetically pleasing. HoN is too dark and it's too hard to tell what's going on. LoL clearly indicates everything you need to know and is simply more satisfying.

Also, LoL has Articuno and I love pokemon.

its cold in here

12-16-2011

Yeah but originals are always better.

JustBlakey

12-16-2011

For me... HoN is just really clunkly. I can not keep up with it...Same with DoTA. Plus the skills are used so differently in League then those other two.

yes I am horrible at HoN and DoTA... =)

Thats why I play League cause its "noob" friendly. haha

Hmisay

12-16-2011

What turned me on to LoL rather than HoN?
HoN had a $30 price tag, LoL was free. I was brand new to the MOBA genre and wasn't about to drop $30 on a game I knew nothing about with no free trial(that I knew of) when I could playing the same type of game for free.

Why do I still play League rather than HoN?
I never played DotA, I find the store, the mini-map, and game itself much harder to keep track of. In League I can glance at the mini-map and know exactly who is where. I look at the HoN mini-map and see colored dots. Everything is brighter in League, it's easier for me to know what's going on around me, dodge skill shots, etc, etc.

That's all personal experience of course, and I still play a game of HoN every once in a while in hopes of being able to enjoy both games.

Sir Hamilton III

12-16-2011

Quote:

tutorial was okay, but my god those turrets are worthless. o.0 I was playing a mage champ and i could tank and down turrets without much items.O.O
You'd be surprised at how much funner lanes are because turrets don't do as much damage.

Fabulous Gem Man

12-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cold in here View Post
What do you mean Hon gave the community a bad rep?
What i mean is, (in retrospect, it was oddly worded) HoN, if you went on its forums and stuff, had a very poor reputation of its community, which can sway off players from starting the game if the community is just a bunch of Aholes. Even though honestly, the community didn't really seem bad unless you were half-ass at the game.

1234567 ... 12