Why is LoL more popular than HoN

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stark Midnight

11-23-2012

its very simple, Riot decided to make their own game while HoN is just a copy and paste version of dota. Which is the reason its going to die when Dota officially released but league of legends will keep going strong.

Samenko

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatepwr View Post
Because hon is a strait (and poor) copy of dota. LoL is its own game.
In a nutshell.

TheJohns

11-23-2012

You know, despite all the **** HoN gets, it's still gonna be the #3 MOBA for a very long time.

gsai

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Kobra View Post
LoL was free

HoN was a shameless DotA "sequel" that didn't acknowledge the work of the original creators. At least Pendragon gave credit to DotA as the inspiration to LoL, despite some of the elements of this game making it more of a spin-off than a sequel like DotA 2 is.
Not to mention Guinsoo made DotA Allstars which was basically what made DotA what it was.

Trolosaurus

11-23-2012

I find the interface really clunky and awkward

Tspuun

11-23-2012

HoN has a lot of weird carryovers from the WC3 engine that drag it down.

LoL went its own way and made itself a lot more accessible for someone who's never played the original (or never really understood what they were doing the handful of times they played the original).

Personally, I also think that League's graphics are also miles better in terms of clarity. I tried out HoN, and even though they graphics were prettier, they're kind of bad at communicating things to the player, and the heroes and creeps blend into the environment.

Krynul

11-23-2012

Well here's how LoL won my heart:

My friend invited me to my first LoL game, I had no clue what I was doing but I appreciated the fact that it was free. I started learning on Cho'Gath and found him very fun to play and he quickly became my favorite. It took me awhile even on LoL before I could become self sufficient at learning how to build champions and not play like a !#@$ing ****** but I got there and really started enjoying the game. I learned that there were other MOBA games out there namely HoN which everyone seemed obsessed with. I looked at a few videos of HoN gameplay and quickly decided that it wasn't for me.

I looked up some youtube videos and found some guy playing this champion that ran around on all fours very wildly. It looked like it'd be difficult to control just because of the animation. I'm sure the controls must be similar to league, but it just looked so messy that the fact didn't register. I saw him buying items in the shop and saw that there were what looked like HUNDREDS of items. I had no idea how i'd ever manage to learn to use them properly. It was also horribly organized. The graphics were smoother, but the HUD looked like it was 10 years older and the graphics blended into everything. In league champions, towers, and minions are all clearly discernible. In HoN movement is pretty much the first thing you notice. When it came down to it, I didn't want to have to pay $30 for the mess that I'd seen.

From my perspective here's how the games stack up:

LoL:
Free
Simpler itemization choices
Very clear and sharp graphics
Friendly user interface
Much more appealing champions that feel more unique

HoN:
Pay to Play
Unbelievable numbers of items in a poorly designed shop
Muddy hard to read graphics, which while less cartoonish are far more difficult to use as a player.
User interface looks like LoL's from beta.
Champions seem ill defined as unique characters.

Edit: In fact my experience with HoN has even made my choice with DotA. Since I heard they're almost the same game, if DotA is anything like HoN I really don't want to play it. I appreciate what makes LoL unique and I enjoy what they bring to the table as a game. I don't care what came first, I care what is best for me as a player. I feel like LoL is more down my alley so that's what I play.

AA247

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Kobra View Post
LoL was free

HoN was a shameless DotA "sequel" that didn't acknowledge the work of the original creators. At least Pendragon gave credit to DotA as the inspiration to LoL, despite some of the elements of this game making it more of a spin-off than a sequel like DotA 2 is.
u can't call dota2 a sequal. Its the exact same game... Its more like dota remastered