Kog'Maw HELP MEH please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fatalfencer

07-10-2010

Of all the Champions Kog'Maw is the most fun champion ive played since teemo. His ultimate is a spitball, and i can fight being nowhere near combat, i even love his /joke. However, like teemo, I encounter the problem of feeling like I am not bringing much to the team. Sure i have a slow, and a long range lay waste forcing the enemy to watch his feet, but I feel sometiems as if Im a wasted slot. Is this just because I suck, and if so any advice on Kog'Maw.
Ive been starting with the ring, rushing archangels, then going to rylais. My fighting takes place using the ball to start, then mortaring with the ultimate, avoiding mid range combat whenever possible.

Maharaja

07-11-2010

We have yet to see but what I think is it's a weak hero. (IMO)

BlindEternities

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2010

the problem is you're really only relying on one skill. try to use your w more often which will still let you stay to the mid-long range and makes you a very competent anti-tank. probably need to grab a rageblade to really make that spit shine.

ShadowGod56

07-11-2010

Kog is a very strong character in the right hands, he just takes practice. probably the most important item that he could possibly have ever would be chalice of harmony, Kog guzzles mana like a junkie in need of a fix, this helps him alot with this problem.

WatchOutFOOOL

07-11-2010

kog is good at weakening the other team before a fight, especially the carry. he is good at taking out towers with his W skill and some attack speed(nashors tooth, AP,CDR and AS) and he can finish off stragglers that are almost dead but are trying to get away. he in my opinion is the anti ranged carry, i can kill ashes and twitches and tristanas that sit back and auto attack with my ult. i have won almost all my matches with him. just choose him with a decent team comp.

Matuk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2010

Kog'maw is most definitely one of those champions that needs to stay in the back, with a tank (like Alistar) keeping enemies away from him. He's too squishy to be in the thick of it.

Make sure you're using a decent item build. You generally want to build some survivability items early on, so you don't get shut down before you can get your farm on.

Ninjamancer

07-11-2010

Earlygame for Kog'maw (read: before lvl 6-7) is very rough. you can easily be outpushed, out denied, zoned and beat up by many MANY characters.... but.... once you hit 6 or 7, that starts turning around fast. suddenly they can't stay put, suddenly they have to watch their health like a hawk, and you can easily start to wreck squishier carries. I've been doing meki pendant, and if I can keep a golem going moderatly constant I skip chalice, and start rushing +3boots & rylais. then Arch or Zhonyas depending on time. if there's lots of melee I'll get a warden's. depends if your in mid or if you're laning honestly....

to adress the feeling of not contributing, think on it this way. in a *good* premade team, you may not be fantastic on the scoreboards. you may not even have a positive K/D/A from having a bad early phase.... but the fact that you force thier team to back off early, to run away sooner, to be more cautious, and to punish them for poking at your team/towers.... It all adds up. not to mention the forced drain on the other team's concentration. any time they're around you they have to keep dancing, they never can stop paying attention and relax a bit. it's not much, but by the 45-60minute mark it really starts to drag on people.... Alot of times I dont end up with a very good score at all on Kog'Maw when I'm playing with my friends in a premade, something like 9/11/10 isn't unheard of, but it doesn't show everything.... don't forget, scoreboard doesn't tell the whole story. it doesn't tell the times you save your ally from a gank with a bushLA, or slow them as they chase your ally, or poke them enough to force them to play more defensivley.

That said, is he fantastic? maybe. usually not. Is he incredibly useful? Yes.

Sakagami0

07-11-2010

2 ways to build him- DPS or Caster. But either way he will have both qualities (Major DPS minor caster or Major Caster minor dps). Kog'maw is nice since when you use him you have to focus on certain abilities to make the most out of them. Arguably AP is the best with Kog but with AP he can only shine late game as you are very squishy and should be targeted first.
Building AP Kog almost always starts off as support then Starts to shine later at lvl 11+.
Building DPS Kog starts off as support then becomes Really good when you get Frozen hammer and Bloodrazors.

The main two abilities he focuses on are W Bio Arcane Barrage or R Living Artillery .
W is the main focus for Hybrid, DPS Carry, DPS, and Carry Caster
R is the main focus for Caster, and support Caster.(Support caster's don't die as often)

The Kog does better in short games with DPS, Hybrid, and Support Caster.
In Long games Support Caster eventually becomes Caster or Caster Carry but it takes a little longer than if you rushed to Caster or Caster Carry.
Hybrid goes to Caster Carry the same way Support does.
DPS has the hardest time with longer games but have be evolved into DPS carry or Hybrid-> Caster Carry.

Dps Carry Kog really sucks. Better off with Caster Carry.

Most common items with Kog:

Bloodrazor- EVERYTIME time this is in DPS but occasionally is also used when Majoring Caster.
Frozen Mallet- Good for the squishy guy. Only found in DPS.
Chalice- Both need this thing to make the most of his abilities.
Sorc boots- Both
Arch Angels- Caster or hybrid for the AP.
Zhonya's- Caster for the raw AP.
Nashor's Tooth- Caster or hybrid.
Rylais- Not all that useful since he already has a slow but gives good survivability and even greater utility considering his ults range

mah 2 cents

Sakagami0

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamancer View Post
Earlygame for Kog'maw (read: before lvl 6-7) is very rough. you can easily be outpushed, out denied, zoned and beat up by many MANY characters.... but.... once you hit 6 or 7, that starts turning around fast. suddenly they can't stay put, suddenly they have to watch their health like a hawk, and you can easily start to wreck squishier carries.
I disagree. By lvl 6-7 You shouldn't have any significant AP or AD since you need mana regen and boots. If you do you either lack the mana to harass and farm efficiently or you have nice team mates that helped you get golem or you have lots of mana regen runes and Im now jealous.

Early game Kog can harass very well with a meki pendant and HP pots. By abusing the range or W and the slow of E, most pushers have a hard time. The only difficultly I've faced when I solo mid is Kat. Heim can't be beat but you wont' take much dmg. Your tower also shouldn't take that much. Against Heim you should get pushed to your tower and farm with E and R skills which knock down minion waves really quickly.

Ninjamancer

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakagami0 View Post
I disagree. By lvl 6-7 You shouldn't have any significant AP or AD since you need mana regen and boots. If you do you either lack the mana to harass and farm efficiently or you have nice team mates that helped you get golem or you have lots of mana regen runes and Im now jealous.

Early game Kog can harass very well with a meki pendant and HP pots. By abusing the range or W and the slow of E, most pushers have a hard time. The only difficultly I've faced when I solo mid is Kat. Heim can't be beat but you wont' take much dmg. Your tower also shouldn't take that much. Against Heim you should get pushed to your tower and farm with E and R skills which knock down minion waves really quickly.

managen runes 4tw! but you don't even need much AP to hit hard. lvl3 E is 110 without any AP after all...