[Guide] Malphite, The Rock Solid Behemoth -SmecssRaege-

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karmakin

11-28-2009

Malph is my main, I could never really get Catalyst to work for me. It's a bit too slow gold wise. My normal start is the Rejuv Pendent into Philosopher's Stone, Ninja Tabi, the cooldown reduction item (name escapes me), Warden's Mail, Frozen Heart.

This gives me enough armor to be able to initiate against melee heavy ganks, and also provides a nice stream of mana to maintain lane control (which I feel is Malph's strength)

Mind you this is at lower ELO's, so there may be something about high-end play but by the time I get there chancest are the metagame is either going to be evolved or shaken up by Riot. (I can see them blocking early Baron kills)

SgtSausage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holepuncher View Post
Malph's E ability benefits from armor (70% converted to dmg), so it makes more sense for him to be an armor/magic res tank than a hp tank. That being said, he does still need hp, especially early game.

Here's what I get:

- Sapphire and 2x Health Pot
- Catalyst (good starting hp and mana, and regen on level)
- Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi (depends on enemy team)
- Aegis (more hp, armor, and magic res)
- Frozen Heart (been getting this since the last patch to counter the recent nerf; gives a ton of armor, all the mana you could ever need, a nice enemy debuff, and of course the -25% cooldown)
- Banshee Veil (magic res, spell block, and a little more hp and mana)
- Guardian Angel (resurrection, armor, and magic res, but the game usually ends before I get this)

For skills:

- Q (more useful than E for getting a super early gank)
- E
- E
- Q (could consider picking W here for better farming, but it never seems necessary)
- E
- R
- E
- etc, etc.
Thanks for this, it looks much better i am gonna try it. The health is my main problem early game if i end up laning with an opposing teemo i have to turret camp to much as he recks my HP.

I also agree at lvl 4 i never needed w till later in game, and when q finally got upgraded it wasnt as useful because they were stronger.

Holepuncher

12-01-2009

Well this sucks, my two favorite Malph items were nerfed:

Catalyst the Protector:
-Health Restore on Level Up reduced to 300 from 425
-Mana Restore on Level Up reduced to 250 from 325
-Health reduced to 325 from 400

Aegis of the Legion:
-Magic Resist Aura reduced to 25 from 40
-Armor Aura reduced to 25 from 35
-but, Health increased to 300 from 285

I think instead of: catalyst, mercury treads, aegis, frozen heart ...

I'll try: leviathan, mercury treads, guardian angel, frozen heart

Tawlyn

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holepuncher View Post
Well this sucks, my two favorite Malph items were nerfed:

Catalyst the Protector:
-Health Restore on Level Up reduced to 300 from 425
-Mana Restore on Level Up reduced to 250 from 325
-Health reduced to 325 from 400

Aegis of the Legion:
-Magic Resist Aura reduced to 25 from 40
-Armor Aura reduced to 25 from 35
-but, Health increased to 300 from 285

I think instead of: catalyst, mercury treads, aegis, frozen heart ...

I'll try: leviathan, mercury treads, guardian angel, frozen heart

Been using the leviathan build and although I have a mana problem early game, once I hit lvl 6 and start ganking I become almost impossible to kill. Its funny to jump into a group fight and the other team think they're about to kill you and then you get a health boost from leviathan.

Mbutu

01-12-2010

Nice guide!I still have to find my best way of playing as malphite, but I love his abilities. One thing however is I tend to be more flexible in the skillbuild...

if laning against melee, I find myself using your build, but against (even 1) ranged, i tend te get more seismic shards. Just to get some harrassment out of it can be very nice earlygame: it makes the adversary use up some potions, or even a summoner heal, or bluepil away to get some HP's back. I also find communicating with your lanemate/other teammembers when yur ult is ready, so they can prepare their CC's for the tanks and can prepare to help you with the spellcasters of the other team. Another thing: Hqve you considered thornmail? It's basicly boosts your tankability a lot, and even help deal out a lot more dmg, espescially late game. So imho, it would be a viable option to take thornmail, banshee's veil, and something like frozen heart as a core build along with the ninja tabi. it should give you a ****load of armor, some hp and a lot of dmg as well as a cooldownreduction and even more.

Also, to make the skilbuild reading a bit more easy, use the skillnames with the hotkey in brackets, like Seismic Shard (Q) and maybe the use of some color.

for the rest kudos for the guide. its nicely written, and rather thought through.

Azurethunder

01-12-2010

really good guide i like them item build a lot lets me farm well early game.

on thing i prefer is getting brutal strikes at lv 3 makes farming a bit easier and provides the aoe to make 2 person battles easy at the beginning as well the buff is pretty sweet

Grovel

01-18-2010

Gotta say, I love this guide. I'm not sure how players use Malaphite with no mana regen and Meki > Chalice is pretty much all I ever need between shopping trips- especially in the beginning. Malaphite needs Shard to harass and Ground Slam really helps to farm, and together they eat up a lot of mana. I guess if you have a solid lane partner who can pressure you can play way more defensively, conserve mana, I feel like I need to be more assertive.

Also I see waaaaay more melee carries around my level so armor stacking is brilliant. Combined with the attack speed debuff of Warden's, Frozen Heart, and Ground slam I'm a savior in team fights.

I've considered rushing Shroud over Warden's for the CD reduction, but the health regen on Warden's is amazing for staying in your lane or recovering from pot shots while holding the line.

Wondering if there are any more thoughts on Aegis post-nerf (which I guess happened before I started playing LoL). I see a lot of builds with Aegis in them, but is that recommendation outdated?

Perm

01-23-2010

Hello, I was looking at your tanking malphite guide and it is thorough, well written, and easy to understand. Like you I am trying to build a perfection dps build with malphite however I need a few pointers, so anything that you can explain can help out a lot.

So far with my current experiments, my leveling build with him goes as this from 1-18

Q,E,Q,W,Q,R,Q,W,Q,W,R,W,E,W,E,R,E,E

I will explain the reason why I did it like this.

Building up Seismic shard first helps offensively as well as defensively. Max that out first.

Next I went into brutal strikes mainly for farming purposes that I will explain more in the items section. Also, this helps for mid and late game team fights where your opponents are all kluttered up.

Ground slam is still good for offense and defensive, it still can vary, and yes you can also farm with it as well, whatever your preference.

Items: (Note: I do not have them in a specific order due to this is just of most of my experimenting. These are the best items that I found with him so far)

Tiamat- This is where that I explain why I went into brutal strikes. With this item and maxed out Brutal Strikes, you have 100% cleave damage, great for farming and team fights. Extra note: When you activate brutal strikes for more damage, you still retain your cleave well 50% of it.

Berserker's Greaves- To help out with your physical attacks. Works in unison with your tiamat.

Last Whisper- Helps with your cleaving ability, the armor pen is a real good deal what comes with it. Or if you are farming well and want more, also consider black cleaver.

Madred's Bloodrazor- usually I only use this item as a side/counter item for going against teams that have 2 or more tanks. However, the attack speed on this is very beneficial as well as the armor that helps your ground slam skill. Another Att speed item would be Phantom Dancer.

Glacial Shroud or Frozen Heart- What can I say, the armor is great, ground slam is more of a threat, more mana to spam some spells, did I mention cooldown reduction.

Infinity Edge- If you make it this far into to game, this item will purge opponents hard.

Trinity force- Hey this is an all around item, you just cannot fail with this.

Last but not least....

Guinsoo's Rageblade- The atp, the ap, and the proc efffect made this item a good candidate.

This is all I have for now. If you have any suggestions to make this build better, I am open to constructive criticism, just dop a line.

Spireseven

04-12-2010

Thanks for putting this guide together. It's an awesome guide and extremely helpful.

I'm a new player and the bottom line for me is I enjoy the game much, much more using this guide as a framework. Playing Malph with the build you suggest is just a ton of fun and I'm finally getting my kill/death ratio heading in the right direction.

Exray95

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-01-2010

Instead of getting Catalsyst I usualy get Thorn mail because of the huge amount of armor which boosts malph alot both offensive and defensive at around lvl 6 when I get it im OP to any ganks and just godlike.
Tip as an following item to thorn mail it's good to buy warmogs due to malph's easy way of killing minions so together with lots of hp and dmg reduction he also has hp reg and the 30% dmg off to whatever hits him.
Try it out.. Enjoy godmode =D