[Guide] Malphite, The Rock Solid Behemoth -SmecssRaege-

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2009

i dont like heart of gold because malphite without mp is pretty weak. hence the catalyst. i prefer exhaust on malphite, it's essential for ganking.
one of the main reasons ganks fail is due to people not having exhaust.

p.s. treeskimo doesn't play tank often.

LemonWarlord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-10-2009

I can definitely see where you're going with the Heart of Gold not being too good, but the gold really starts flowing and it does boost two important stats you want. It also may be due to the relative standstill the higher end games get to (10 minutes waiting around Nashor is a great time to earn lots of gold). Also, Ben played Malphite too and started with a Heart of Gold then built an Aegis.

As for Exhaust, oddly enough I know that TreeEskimo did Heal + Exhaust and I believe Ben may have too in the final? The only thing about Exhaust on Malphite is that it doesn't particularly compliment anything Malphite has and Malphite already has a stun and slow and can take a ton of damage, so the blind isn't really necessary either.

Irish

11-12-2009

First, I want to say awesome guide. Tried out Malphite yesterday and really enjoyed him this way. I actually got to play against you Smecss the second game I played. It was amazing. I was wondering if you or Bait would mind posting a fraps. I would love to see you play a full game through.

SgtSausage

11-27-2009

Been using this build for awhile, malphite is m main champion now, but was wondering if anyone has any level upgrade or item reccomendations that differ from thsi build. I am not to good and have a hard time getting lots of kills mainly assists. Also whats heart of gold.

Sideshowxela

11-27-2009

I just started using Malphite mostly because I'm tired of our team's lack of tanks, so I was wtf confused when I came across some guides that recommend Infinity Edge. Really?
Anyway, both of the builds here make sense. I'd prefer Bait's +hp and +mr stance, but I find the OPs +armor/attack speed reduction intriguing.
Any more thoughts on jungling? I can't recall any of the Malphites I've played with or against ever going that route over laning, but I understand there are some advantages.

SmecssRaege

11-27-2009

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=12715

jungle malphite right there =P

JohnCataldo

11-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
Cons for Bait's build vs Mine
No HP/Mana regen what-so-ever
Just gotta point out that Catalyst acts as excellent HP/Mana regen, just not so much over time as all-at-once.

JohnCataldo

11-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonWarlord View Post
(Also, I noticed this discrepancy, but armor and MR do not have diminishing returns, it was in a post somewhere and makes sense.)
At some point you have to so much armor that more health keeps you alive longer, because your health is effectively multiplied by your armor and MR.

Armor/MR has diminishing returns compared to health, once you have enough Armor/MR.

SgtSausage

11-28-2009

I follow that build on the first post exactly, and i dont have much health especially early game. If any of you have any suggestions to substitute amor for health or something let me no what items you use and when/where in the build you switch.

Or your spell upgrade order i follow it exactly as well, but sometimes i with i had my Q stronger earlier game.

Holepuncher

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSausage View Post
I follow that build on the first post exactly, and i dont have much health especially early game. If any of you have any suggestions to substitute amor for health or something let me no what items you use and when/where in the build you switch.

Or your spell upgrade order i follow it exactly as well, but sometimes i with i had my Q stronger earlier game.
Malph's E ability benefits from armor (70% converted to dmg), so it makes more sense for him to be an armor/magic res tank than a hp tank. That being said, he does still need hp, especially early game.

Here's what I get:

- Sapphire and 2x Health Pot
- Catalyst (good starting hp and mana, and regen on level)
- Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi (depends on enemy team)
- Aegis (more hp, armor, and magic res)
- Frozen Heart (been getting this since the last patch to counter the recent nerf; gives a ton of armor, all the mana you could ever need, a nice enemy debuff, and of course the -25% cooldown)
- Banshee Veil (magic res, spell block, and a little more hp and mana)
- Guardian Angel (resurrection, armor, and magic res, but the game usually ends before I get this)

For skills:

- Q (more useful than E for getting a super early gank)
- E
- E
- Q (could consider picking W here for better farming, but it never seems necessary)
- E
- R
- E
- etc, etc.