[Guide] Malphite, The Rock Solid Behemoth -SmecssRaege-

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmecssRaege

11-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holepuncher View Post
Been using this build lately choosing banshee veil and I really like it. This has tons of armor and magic resist, a respectable amount of health, and some utility stuff on banshee, aegis and guardian.

eh...i wouldnt even come close to saying tons of armor

armor items (if banshee chosen)

Aegis +32
Guardian +70ish

thats maybe 160-190 armor.
MR of 40 + 40 + 60 which is 170 (that's a very good amount, so i cant argue here)

but my build ends up with something like 350ish armor and 150MR ish

less HP, but the enhanced physical stat + frozen heart + ground slam basically make you immune to any carry hero that you can get in range of to ground slam, nukers....eh that's where my build is slightly out of balance due to later MR and lowish HP

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2009

armor/mr has diminishing returns. it's better to mix with hp instead.

aegis = aura. (32 armor + 40 mr) x 3 (will affect roughly 3 people on average during a gank, i'm pulling numbers but it's good enough) = 216. that buff is more effective on everybody else on your team due to the diminishing returns on armor/mr. aegis also gives health, important to tanking.

SmecssRaege

11-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
armor/mr has diminishing returns. it's better to mix with hp instead.

aegis = aura. (32 armor + 40 mr) x 3 (will affect roughly 3 people on average during a gank, i'm pulling numbers but it's good enough) = 216. that buff is more effective on everybody else on your team due to the diminishing returns on armor/mr. aegis also gives health, important to tanking.
yeah like i said, i don't deny that its a bad item, i just can never bring myself to buy it for some reason >_<

i would almost go out of my way to call aegis one of the best items in the game for its price

anyways im a man of fairness, im gonna try out the build you posted and see how i like it in comparison

SmecssRaege

11-05-2009

Tried bait's build, went pretty well (13-0-7 in about 35 minutes) pretty much the way i see it is this (comparing build to build) assuming banshee's veil as 4th

Pros for Bait's build vs Mine
Much more early/mid game HP
Fast MR building to a pretty high amount (first 4 items are all MR boosters)
Pretty respectable amount of armor

Cons for Bait's build vs Mine
No HP/Mana regen what-so-ever
Less ground slam damage (by about 80-100 dmg) < not really of huge importance
No Cooldown Reduction (less seismec/ulti/ground slam coverage)
No Frozen Heart/Warden's Mail ( 2x -35% attack speed + ground slam = very hardcore cut in physical DPS and slow on warden's)
Much lower armor rating (but this isn't huge but it helps to beat out last whisper/cleaver)

Bait's build: Fantastic anti-caster build and general tank, builds up fast MR and health, with some armor going along with it to help boost it (but most physical attackers aren't a huge threat until you start building your aegis, so it's not bad) All around a fairly strong and solid tank build

My build: Fantastic anti-carry hero and DPS build, quick armor building and relatively fast regen's which are rather decent, cooldown reductions allow for a much larger output of damage and crowd controlling, and with the high armor and relatively high MR you can take a lot of hits regardless of the somewhat low health. All around a decent Tank/DPS hybrid that utilizes A LOT of anti-carry hero functionality

just my 2 cents on a comparison basis

P.S: if you wouldnt mind i'd love to post your build on the original post with credit's to you of course as a harder tank/anti caster build than my own

Holistics

11-06-2009

Nice write-up. I have used this hero more then any other and found that the build I use differs from yours but is quite effective for my style of play. I thought I would share it and see what people thought.

I will start with Boots of Speed and rush a Sunfire Cape. Boots to Ninja Tabi next. Aegis of Legion is my next item and sometimes I grab a piece or two for my Frozen Mallet. Complete the Mallet and work towards a second Sunfire Cape. Lastly I add a Guardian Angel.

Sometimes the order I build in after my first Sunfire Cape is diffrent depending on gold/heros.

Here are the Stats from this build:

+235 Armor
+2060 Health
88 Damage per sec AOE
+80 MR
11% Dodge
Res(Five Minute Cooldown)
+25 Damage with a snare

Ramayana

11-06-2009

I've been playing Malph alot lately, using Smeccs build alot and having alot of success, but Malph really needs to be built differently everygame. Smeccs initially build will result in you getting torn up by endgame casters, but being borderline immune to physical damage carries. I basically just build myself based on the characters in the game AND how good those players are. If its a 1 tank 2 caster 2 physical damage team, but on of the casters kind sucks, I'll go an armor heavy build. If the casters are good, I'll get Chalice and Catalyst on first port back, and get Banshees early in the game.

Last game I played there was only 1 physical DPSer and 3 casters, so I went Meki > Chalice, Catalyst > Banshee, Boots (Honestly don't remember which boots), Frozen Heart (mainly for the increase in Ground Slam Damage), and then Force of Nature. Ended the game 9-2-13.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2009

i dont mind if you keep credit to yourself.

SmecssRaege

11-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
i dont mind if you keep credit to yourself.
Haha, nah, i would never stake claim for someone elses contributions =P

Bait

11-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
Banshee's Veil or Sunfire Cape (Personal preference of banshee's veil by a long shot)
i actually prefer sunfire cape or just go guardian angel right away. i only complete banshee when i'm lvl 18 and catalyst is not so useful.

LemonWarlord

Recruiter

11-10-2009

It's a good build you have there, but I have a couple of suggestions you may want to try.

Have you ever tried Heart of Gold? Pretty much all 3 are stat boosters to yourself (health + armor) and a 5 gold per 10.
I was watching the Couch Athletics final video and I noticed TreeEskimo's build. Heart of Gold, Mercury's Treads (although probably only useful due to higher end gameplay's prevalence of stuns), another Heart of Gold, Guardians Angel, and Banshee's Veil (again, a lot of it is probably due to higher end gameplay stuns).

I tried out using Heart of Gold and it proved pretty effective. It gives you an immediate boost to hp which increases the effectiveness of your passive.

Also, for summoner skills, I'm thinking heal is by far the best summoner skill you can get as a tank. Due to your stacking of armor and MR, you raise the effective effectiveness of your heals.

(Also, I noticed this discrepancy, but armor and MR do not have diminishing returns, it was in a post somewhere and makes sense.)