Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Malphite, The Rock Solid Behemoth -SmecssRaege-

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SteakAndGravy

10-07-2009

Just a quick note to say thanks SmecssRaege. Your guides are well written and helpful.

SmecssRaege

10-07-2009

Quote:
SteakAndGravy:
Just a quick note to say thanks SmecssRaege. Your guides are well written and helpful.

Thank you very much :-) Comments like this are greatly appreciated <3

Krald

10-08-2009

One question:
Why no sunfire cape on Malphite?

SmecssRaege

10-08-2009

Quote:
Krald:
One question:
Why no sunfire cape on Malphite?

Because i can pop brutal strikes, ground slam 1 shotting backrows and then punching melees 2-3 times to net those 2-3 kills. highly unnecessary.

300 armor (attainable at about 5,000 gold) nets you a ground slam of 430 damage, gg creeps =p

Siveal

10-08-2009

What do you do for someone stacking armor penetration? Or for burst DPS (Ryze, Gangplank, etc). I haven't found a reliable item build that will counter this for Malph.

SmecssRaege

10-08-2009

Armor stacking = never a problem for me. Why? Because i stack -% attack speed.
-110% attack speed if they are attacking me, hit with groundslam, and in frozen heart radius.

As for the early game nukers. the quickest way to put their damage in a more controllable amount is to go

Chalice of harmony > boots > negatron cloak

then continue my usual build order... that will give you 90 MR (approximately 40-50% damage reduce) for less than 2,000 gold, and you will build that cloak into your banshees veil

i have honestly NEVER had a problem with any of the nuke heros on malphite following my item build tho, they pretty much melt WAY too fast under the power of ulti + ground slam + shard 2 the face....also i use flash...so ryze aint shit to me, i listen for the crackling sound of his ulti then just flash out of distance :3

GETaDRAGONITE

10-30-2009

only comment since i dont play him often is his ult. is one of the best initiators... but kassadins riftwalk is thee best. specially if u have any reduction... 3 seconds a rift and if you want you can even rift spam on base and use teleport to get into battle so you open up with a 800+ rift walk hes the best chaser and overall most op char hes just difficult to learn...
lol i totally took one thing and changed the topic completely sorry i just want ppl to start playing hard characters

Bait

Recruiter

10-30-2009

i hate to be critical but... in high elo games, that malphite build will never pass.
reasons:
1. not enough health early on.
2. missing aegis of legion, one of the best tank items.

a very common build in high elo games is:
1. sapphire crystal + 2 health potions
2. ruby crystal -> upgrade to catalyst
3. boots of speed -> upgrade to mercury treads
4. ruby crystal -> aegis of legion
5. banshee veil or sunfire cape, or warmog, depending on enemy
6. guardian angel.

i suppose this guide is decent if you were on a team with another tank.

Holepuncher

11-02-2009

Quote:
Bait:
i hate to be critical but... in high elo games, that malphite build will never pass.
reasons:
1. not enough health early on.
2. missing aegis of legion, one of the best tank items.

a very common build in high elo games is:
1. sapphire crystal + 2 health potions
2. ruby crystal -> upgrade to catalyst
3. boots of speed -> upgrade to mercury treads
4. ruby crystal -> aegis of legion
5. banshee veil or sunfire cape, or warmog, depending on enemy
6. guardian angel.

i suppose this guide is decent if you were on a team with another tank.

Been using this build lately choosing banshee veil and I really like it. This has tons of armor and magic resist, a respectable amount of health, and some utility stuff on banshee, aegis and guardian.

SmecssRaege

11-05-2009

I've never been a fan of aegis...i don't know why... i know it's a great item and yet i can never bring myself to buy it

(only time i ever buy it is on taric really)

and as far as "health" goes....it's not the only tanking stat, admitedly i do run into some problems when it comes to tanking certain badass nuke heros...and because of that i've been looking at a less armor more MR tank build

(chalice > mercury > spirit visage ... 115 MR in the first 3500 gold, HP/MP regen to boot and cooldown reduction)

haven't tried that one yet but really....i rarely do have a problem with dieing, as this isnt a "true tank" build it's an initiator tank build that packs high defensive stats vs. stacking health and enough armor to make ground slam really bring in the money and pain