Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

radeon 4870 gpu resets

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

prYzm

10-06-2009

directed @ dev's

ok so over the last two days i have been having a problem with my gpu resetting while playing LOL. It has not happened previously, and ive been running this GC since july last year. A few days ago i did a bunch of video encoding overnight which may or may not have done something. Regardless after doing some research i found out that one of the features of this card causes the GPU clock to run at different speeds depending on whether it is doing 2d or 3d rendering. I turned on the overdrive option of my card and set all rendering values to the static single rendering speed (default 625 MHz, the normal unclocked value). I have tried two games so far (just practice games with me in them alone) and have not had the same problem of computer resetting.

I do not think this is entirely a LOL thing, however i tried running WC3, as well as Mass Effect (just two other games i have installed on my comp) and neither of them had any problems that i experienced during LOL (some frame skipping, and then eventuallyl a gpu reset). Ive been playing lol for a while on highest graphics with NO problems, i turned down all settings to medium and gradually re-increased them for testing, and the ones that had the biggest impact were shadows and environment, causing significant activity increases in the card (from 55/60% - 70-90%) depending on what settings i put them at. I seemed to have found a happy medium with both settings on 'high' instead of 'very high' with all other settings on very high. This uses about 70-80% card activity but with the clock speed fixed im not getting restarts (so far).

Maybe this isnt specifically a LOL problem but i just thought i would post it incase the dev's could use the information for anything.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jesse Perring

Recruiter

10-06-2009

Thanks for the information.