[Minor Suggestion] Smartcast

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amazon Warrior

12-20-2011

Can you also make a option to cancel spell using LeftClick instead of RightClick ? Because I like to smartcast while right-clicking to move.

Galago

12-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Care to elaborate? From my perspective it's generally a positive change unless you are very used to smartcasting *and* do uncommon things like hold the smartcast key down for a fairly long period of time after pressing the key.

Reasons why I would want to make it default:
* Helps people who don't use smartcasting adjust to it because they can see ranges rather than memorizing it by "feel"
* Could allow you to cancel out of a smartcast ability
* Helps existing smartcast players learn the ranges of new champions without switching off smartcast.

I think it's great for increasing the usage of smartcasting by making it easier to learn and you lose a lot of those benefits if people have to find the option to use it. Unless we found that many/most smartcast users were negatively impacted I would prefer to make this the default and allow people who prefer "classic" smartcasting to enable that as an option.
I thought it would be cool but then I turned it on manually to try it out. I used it on Renekton and it felt horrible. Even tho the only skill it affected was my dash it wouldn't go off reliable and only would go off if my cursor was in range of the dash. So if my cursor was not near my character (it usually isn't near him since I'm pointing far away) I couldn't dash at all. It just felt horrible. Also I had problems getting flash and ignite to go off properly too. Needless to say I switch back to normal smart casting after that.

Excessive

12-21-2011

Quote:
Care to elaborate? From my perspective it's generally a positive change unless you are very used to smartcasting *and* do uncommon things like hold the smartcast key down for a fairly long period of time after pressing the key.

Reasons why I would want to make it default:
* Helps people who don't use smartcasting adjust to it because they can see ranges rather than memorizing it by "feel"
* Could allow you to cancel out of a smartcast ability
* Helps existing smartcast players learn the ranges of new champions without switching off smartcast.

I think it's great for increasing the usage of smartcasting by making it easier to learn and you lose a lot of those benefits if people have to find the option to use it. Unless we found that many/most smartcast users were negatively impacted I would prefer to make this the default and allow people who prefer "classic" smartcasting to enable that as an option.
Please no. Having the spell cast on key release instead of key press adds a delay to your cast. But the main and most important thing is having right click cancel your spell will not allow you to move while casting. Existing smartcast players can mouse over a skill to see it's range.

While I agree that adding an option to enable this would be good, it certainly should not be the default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galago View Post
I thought it would be cool but then I turned it on manually to try it out. I used it on Renekton and it felt horrible. Even tho the only skill it affected was my dash it wouldn't go off reliable and only would go off if my cursor was in range of the dash. So if my cursor was not near my character (it usually isn't near him since I'm pointing far away) I couldn't dash at all. It just felt horrible. Also I had problems getting flash and ignite to go off properly too. Needless to say I switch back to normal smart casting after that.
Yikes.

cUeCue

12-21-2011

I wonder if part of the reason it feels a bit unresponsive in between spell chains is due to the target acquisition. Using the current standard smart cast function the target is selected on mouse position at the time of your key press. Does the new smart cast + range option select its target on key press or release? And would the other way or during both make things more fluid?

boourns

UI Designer

12-21-2011
5 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
As far as I know it shouldn't change how smartcast works except making it happen on keyup, but I'll check with the engineer after he gets back from holidays. So it shouldn't be any less reliable in the way you're talking about... although something may have changed

Turns out the proper hooks aren't made yet for options menu so that likely won't go out with color blind mode like I originally though. We might consider doing something like trying to figure out of you have used smartcast before and then not using the new way as the default. I think it should still work fine for people who are learning from scratch, but we'll need wider experience to tell.

From my perspective, if we couldn't do that I would still like to make it a default. People can try it and switch it off easily if they don't like it. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise though. Keep the feedback coming and try enabling it in game to see how it feels!

boourns

UI Designer

12-21-2011
6 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excessive View Post
Please no. Having the spell cast on key release instead of key press adds a delay to your cast. But the main and most important thing is having right click cancel your spell will not allow you to move while casting. Existing smartcast players can mouse over a skill to see it's range.

While I agree that adding an option to enable this would be good, it certainly should not be the default.

Yikes.
This shouldn't be a large delay if you're releasing quickly, however if you're holding the key down you probably don't want to use this. Not being able to right click while having the spell key down doesn't stop you from moving if you already are, it does stop you from issuing a new move command though. However casting a spell stops you from moving anyways. This seems like it only blocks move commands for a very short amount of time and if you're moving anywhere other than attacking your target you will have to reposition your cursor anyways.

I would encourage you to try it and post your impressions.

Keep in mind that people who use smartcasting are generally much more experienced players, I'm more inclined to have defaults favor less experienced players and allow people with more knowledge to pick "classic" mode.

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2011

Quote:
This shouldn't be a large delay if you're releasing quickly, however if you're holding the key down you probably don't want to use this. Not being able to right click while having the spell key down doesn't stop you from moving if you already are, it does stop you from issuing a new move command though. However casting a spell stops you from moving anyways. This seems like it only blocks move commands for a very short amount of time and if you're moving anywhere other than attacking your target you will have to reposition your cursor anyways.

I would encourage you to try it and post your impressions.

Keep in mind that people who use smartcasting are generally much more experienced players, I'm more inclined to have defaults favor less experienced players and allow people with more knowledge to pick "classic" mode.
Even a 20th of a second delay between keypress and keyrelease is too long of an addition imho, and would result in a rise in failed encounters (many encounters are won or lost by tiny fractions of a second)

I'm honestly not even sure if on key release smartcasting really is "smartcasting" - You're taking a system designed to condense two actions (select spell, and cast spell) into a single action, and splitting it back up into two mentally disjointed actions, and I'm not actually sure how effective the on release smartcast system would be

Dreampod

12-21-2011

Thanks for mentioning this and for boourns replying which brought it to my attention. I loved smart cast (and have been playing better since using it) but hate not having the range indicator when I'm playing a champion I'm less familiar with.

Incidentally boourns, since you are here, shouldn't there be a guide to all the features and options available in LoL. It seems like so much of these things (like smartcast itself) are 'secret knowledge' and only the most devoted and forum crawly types ever know about them. I know it gives us an advantage but it seems a waste to devote time to developing features that most of the players who would like to use never even know exist.

KaXaSA

12-21-2011

btw another smart cast suggestion:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=922330

'Smart-Cast Toggle'

Dreampod

12-21-2011

Quote:
Having completely discounted your post when I read it I went ahead and tried changing my smartcast to on-mouseup. Playing Cass was such as incredible mess, there were casts getting missed during spamming (presumably because I started pressing key 2 before fully releasing key 1), delays casting some spells (possiby because of bad ingrained habits), and I couldn't reliably get my summoners to activate.

I absolutely agree that this felt awful and switched back after that game rather than suffer again.