Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Minor Suggestion] Smartcast

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Galago

12-16-2011

How do you make this change?

Zelgadis

12-17-2011

Oh god, I love you OP (and Riot)! No idea this even existed!
I wanted to buy this feature since forever!!

boourns

UI Designer

12-19-2011

you need to find your game.cfg and add this line to it:

SmartCastOnKeyRelease = 1

Or something close to that... I didn't test this.

Reiver

12-19-2011

I just want to put in my two cents here as long as you're bumping it boourns...

As a long time smartcaster I have one thing to say...

Please dear god don't make this the default, PLEASE.

Treuan

12-19-2011

Mother of god... I have found perfection.

boourns

UI Designer

12-20-2011

Quote:
H911Reiver:
I just want to put in my two cents here as long as you're bumping it boourns...

As a long time smartcaster I have one thing to say...

Please dear god don't make this the default, PLEASE.

Care to elaborate? From my perspective it's generally a positive change unless you are very used to smartcasting *and* do uncommon things like hold the smartcast key down for a fairly long period of time after pressing the key.

Reasons why I would want to make it default:
* Helps people who don't use smartcasting adjust to it because they can see ranges rather than memorizing it by "feel"
* Could allow you to cancel out of a smartcast ability
* Helps existing smartcast players learn the ranges of new champions without switching off smartcast.

I think it's great for increasing the usage of smartcasting by making it easier to learn and you lose a lot of those benefits if people have to find the option to use it. Unless we found that many/most smartcast users were negatively impacted I would prefer to make this the default and allow people who prefer "classic" smartcasting to enable that as an option.

jokull

12-20-2011

boourns, is there any way to make cast times interruptable by personal movement? i dont use smartcasting in LoL partly because i often press keys on accident, and coming from bloodline champions, where you can cancel a spell midcast yourself, it often screws me over. id love to be able to use animation cancel to bait people, because its so much fun to play mind games in blc. i know theres some cast times that are too short to cancel, but it would be nice on some of the longer casts to be able to do this. ask hohums about it if you dont know, or go play blc yourself love to have you over there

Eltherian

12-20-2011

I would prefer you did not make this the default personally. I play using a mix of smart-casting and not smart casting because that is just how I roll. On champions such as Veigar, it would be incredibly frustrating for me to want to just see if I was in range for my stun only to have it cast because I release the button. I would much prefer that you just have it as an option in the menu, so that I can turn it on or off as I please.

Reiver

12-20-2011

Quote:
boourns:
Care to elaborate? From my perspective it's generally a positive change unless you are very used to smartcasting *and* do uncommon things like hold the smartcast key down for a fairly long period of time after pressing the key.

* Helps people who don't use smartcasting adjust to it because they can see ranges rather than memorizing it by "feel"
* Helps existing smartcast players learn the ranges of new champions without switching off smartcast.

I think it's great for increasing the usage of smartcasting by making it easier to learn and you lose a lot of those benefits if people have to find the option to use it. Unless we found that many/most smartcast users were negatively impacted I would prefer to make this the default and allow people who prefer "classic" smartcasting to enable that as an option.

Mainly because of the lag it adds to smartcasting (and the primary reason of switching to smartcasting was to minimize the lag in the first place.

The only point of your for it I feel really stands is your first one, however the second two seem a lot weaker (at least from my perspective)

Cancelling out of it - When I hit my keys, I don't want to cancel out of it, I want it to go exactly where I'm pointing at that exact moment, I've already made the final call of "I want this spell to go off with that target" when I hit my key to cast a spell I've already made the same decision a player makes with normal casting makes when he clicks his left mouse button

I'm also concerned that cancelling out of pbaoes, skillshots, and targeted aoes will be extremely clunky for people who are using this method, but that's a whole different discussion

Existing smartcast users getting the feel of new skills/new champions - This one could just be a personal thing, but having used smartcast for so long, this seems entirely unnecessary. I can get the feel of a new skill down in almost no time, I mouse over the range indicator for a quick look at how far the indicator goes, and then just start playing with it and quickly get a feel for exactly how far it will go.

(This part is an only slightly related anecdote) To be honest I feel that playing without looking at range indicators has given me a stronger sense of how far any given skill will go, and has helped me stick just at the edge of safety to ruin people's days (I love it when talon's try to rake me only to find it missing by so little the particles clip the edge of my model :3)

Edit: And same problem as the dude below me, right click cancel will result in a lot of miscancelled spells, just like all those accidentally dodged custom games because of the poorly positioned quit button

rift chicken

12-20-2011

Quote:
boourns:

I'd be fine with that as an option. But for me personally I mash right click and press buttons in between. I could see a fair few of my casts getting canceled here when I need them most.