League Examination- Ahri

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luckhunter

12-14-2011

Ahri steps through the door and is confronted by a scene of controlled clutter. Charts and diagrams cover the walls, detailing muscle structure, range of joint movement and a dozen other medical-related things. Papers cover the counter that runs around the edge of the chamber, and wall shelves support jars of colored liquid, models of skeletons and-
A great fanged skull. Ahri takes a step back involuntarily. There is a palpable feeling of malice that emanates from that skull as it stares emptily into her.
“Ah! I’m sorry to keep you waiting, ma’am.”
Ahri turns to see the man she’s been told to report to.
Korin Barns, Institute of War Chief Naturalist, steps out of a side chamber. He wears the typical robes of the Institute, though his are an unusual pale green. He is on the younger side of forty, Ahri estimates, though she’s still not good at guessing human age. His hair is brown and messy, his eyes a warm blue.
There is something very wrong about him, she realizes. He notices her discomfort and gestures towards his head.
“You were told about my… condition, yes?”
“Ye…es,” she manages. “It’s different to experience for yourself.”
He nods.
“And for a person of your background, it must be extra difficult.”
She nods back.
She has been told. After her Judgement, she’d been sent here, to the Institute’s Office of Nature, to Korin, the man responsible for learning as much as possible about the more unusual Champions of the League. He was good at his job, even after the accident.
Her eyes are drawn again to the band of steel that wraps around his head, and the great patch of metal that covers his left temple. Called out one night to examine a newly captured shadow creature, the Naturalist had gotten to close. Nocturne, enraged by his capture, had put a blade through Korin’s head.
He’d lived. He’d retained all higher brain function, an even greater miracle. But the part of his mind responsible for physical attraction, for desire, for the experience of love, had been destroyed. The man was a mental eunuch.
It made him better at his job; a Champion would be far more willing to be closely examined by a person who couldn’t see them as a sexual being.
To Ahri, who’s relied on exploiting human’s passion to get as far as she had, Korin is terrifying. She could gain no hold on him. He is immune to her.
“So then,” Korin continues brightly, “This won’t take too long. I’ll have you run through some flexability and strength exercises, get a idea of you basic physical prowess, then do the internal mapping and so forth. I’ll want to see your spellcasting as well.”
“That’s it, then? You just want to put me through my paces?”
Despite herself, Ahri injects a good deal of innuendo into the last phrase. It slides off Korin like water off a drake’s back.
“That’s about it, yes. But before we start…”
The man leans forward, peering at her intently.
“The most important thing that the two of us can learn is what makes you you. That knowledge is more important than all the combat prowess in the multiverse. And with you… it’s even more important than usual, no?”
Ahri sees where he is going, and nods.
“To put it bluntly, you are the result of a magical effect gone awry. If we were in Zaun, you’d be dissected. Luckily, we’re not.”
Korin starts to pace up and down.
“Your quest is to fully realize your dreams and put Fate’s twist to good use. You aim to become fully human.”
“Yes. I have already faced up to my shortcomings during the Judgement.”
“I’m not here to degrade you, Ahri. I’m here to learn from you. And as I learn from you, perhaps you can learn from me. I’m not just interested in muscles and nerves. I must find out everything about you, and that includes how you perceive yourself and what you wish to become. Your physicality is irrelevant, except when we have to patch you up after a match. Your spirit is much more relevant.”
Ahri’s tails droop.
“I am not human. I am not what I was, but neither am I want I want to be. I… do not know how to continue down this path, except that this place is my best hope.”
“You look quite human,” Korin observes. “This is not enough?”
She knows that he is testing her, but the question still angers her.
“No! It is not and it never will be! I must become as human as any natural-born. I must!”
She hangs her head.
“As human as any natural-born,” Korin muses. “But humanity is subjective. There are humans who commit acts of depravity unknown to the animal kingdom. They do not wish to change, they feel no great need to become animals, unless someone does it for them.”
His eyes drift to a yellowed claw displayed on the counter. It is labeled “Warwick”.
“You think yourself to be inhuman. Unhuman, perhaps. But you want to become more than what you are now, yes? You want to grow and change? Become more of a person?”
Ahri nods.
Korin grins.
“There is nothing more human than that, my dear. Remember that.”
There is silence. Then Ahri raises her head and smiles.
“I’ll do that, sir.”
“Grand! Now, one final thing before we start the measurements. What was your reaction upon meeting Cho’Gath over there?” He points to the fanged skull.
“Is this… important?”
“It tells me a lot about people. I remember when Shyvana came here. She took me to task for a breach of League protocol. ‘No vital or essential body part of any Champion shall be removed from a temporary corpse’, she quoted. Well, as Cho-Gath isn’t technically a member of the League and is merely an alien interloper… But I saw her true spirit then. Fiery and lawful. A good combination. So then, Ahri, want did you feel?”
She hesitates, then spits it out.
“Fear.”
“Good! It’s not terribly noble, but fear of the unknown, even if it can’t harm you, is a very human trait.”
Ahri smirks.
“If that’s what being a human is about…”
“Oh, that’s just one small part of it. You’ll see, one day. I have faith in that.
She puts her head on one side.
“Korin? You have a beautiful voice.”
She could have sworn she saw him blush.

Hipster Pinkie P

12-15-2011

I like the idea behind this. The only thing I could recommend would be structuring and paragraphs so it's easier to read.

Luckhunter

12-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Pinkie P View Post
I like the idea behind this. The only thing I could recommend would be structuring and paragraphs so it's easier to read.
Always a good thing, paragraphs. Thanks for the advice!

GypsyReborn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2011

very good. the ending was nice. he had lost his ability to feel love and feel desire for sexual tendencies but ahri swore she saw him blush. very nice. quite a good read. you should add on to it.

PrincessAwsome

02-24-2012

I LOVE this story.Hope u make more!