Snowballing Evelynn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neryth

07-10-2010

Yes, yes, Eve is low ELO nubtier worthless etc. etc., everyone has heard it all before. I'm simply curious about what you guys think concerning potential Eve builds. I put Eve away after a streak of defeats which I attributed to beginning to face more competent opponents, but I decided to pull her out of the attic for two games tonight. I basically just improv'd my entire build and ended up winning both games, using...

3/21/1 (Yes, I'm only level 25. qq this game is not my life)

Mana Crystal + 2 Health Pots
Sheen
Boots of Mobility
Lichbane
Guinsoo's Rageblade

About halfway through the game, my team's Kayle asked me why I wasn't building for snowballing, so here's the question I pose:

Why would you rely on snowball charges for a notoriously frail and "easy to counter" champ who has a gimpy early game and is fragile all throughout? From what I've read, that's the most commonly accepted build for her despite it not making a lick of sense.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

As a nuker, she needs that snowballing really hard. She either kill someone straight away and get out of there, or she will fail hard.

Another attempt is to turn her into a very mean melee machine with decent opener. This requires much less domination tactic, and she can be built just as any other carry/hybrid would. I have seen quite a few melee Eves that pull through just fine. Overall, her survivability is not THAT much lower than other champs. (Before items, it factors out to about 2-300EHP, which is roughly 1 or 2 hits late game.)
I prefer the hybrid/melee build much better, as those ones seem to succeed more.

noodle0117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

eve is one of those heroes where you either get fed and destroy everyone, or you fail and become a feeder for the rest of the game.

ericblayde

07-10-2010

njfvgybyjk

Neryth

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle0117 View Post
eve is one of those heroes where you either get fed and destroy everyone, or you fail and become a feeder for the rest of the game.
This is a really common opinion that I disagree with. I recall being either dominated or dominating all of my low ELO games with Eve, but when I dusted her off and ran two games tonight, I found that wasn't necessarily true. Even if your team is fighting a losing battle, and you can't jump in because your impact will be minimal/you'll just feed them, you can assist in getaways by using Shadow Walk+Hatespike to stun -two- champions at the same time. Not getting raped is usually as simple as keeping an eye on who has Oracle buff, or in the case of late game, stalking the enemy players who don't have it and ganking them when they're separated, while of course, being ready to Teleport/sprint towards any team fights.

Cruelz

07-10-2010

I'd totally snowball with Evelynn.

+1 for this

Matuk

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neryth View Post
Yes, yes, Eve is low ELO nubtier worthless etc. etc., everyone has heard it all before. I'm simply curious about what you guys think concerning potential Eve builds. I put Eve away after a streak of defeats which I attributed to beginning to face more competent opponents, but I decided to pull her out of the attic for two games tonight. I basically just improv'd my entire build and ended up winning both games, using...

3/21/1 (Yes, I'm only level 25. qq this game is not my life)

Mana Crystal + 2 Health Pots
Sheen
Boots of Mobility
Lichbane
Guinsoo's Rageblade

About halfway through the game, my team's Kayle asked me why I wasn't building for snowballing, so here's the question I pose:

Why would you rely on snowball charges for a notoriously frail and "easy to counter" champ who has a gimpy early game and is fragile all throughout? From what I've read, that's the most commonly accepted build for her despite it not making a lick of sense.
That is really your standard Eve build, actually. With the Sheen > Lichbane, and then building for AS. Though, personally, I'd grab Nashor's Tooth, not Rageblade.

As to your question about "snowballing" her: Eve needs to snowball whether you get snowball items or not. If she does not get kills, and get them early, she is useless all of the game.

So with that in mind, you may as well get all three snowball items, and then get Sheen. And see what happens?
It would be an interesting experiment, I dare say.
Mejai's, Sword of the Occult, and Leviathan.
Hmm...of course, Eve is still reliant on kills, but I bet it would make her very deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neryth View Post
This is a really common opinion that I disagree with. I recall being either dominated or dominating all of my low ELO games with Eve, but when I dusted her off and ran two games tonight, I found that wasn't necessarily true. Even if your team is fighting a losing battle, and you can't jump in because your impact will be minimal/you'll just feed them, you can assist in getaways by using Shadow Walk+Hatespike to stun -two- champions at the same time. Not getting raped is usually as simple as keeping an eye on who has Oracle buff, or in the case of late game, stalking the enemy players who don't have it and ganking them when they're separated, while of course, being ready to Teleport/sprint towards any team fights.
Good luck getting them to be separated to begin with. Once mid-game starts, so do the team fights.
Eve's biggest weakness is that she's really not meant to BE there in a team fight, until she spies somebody with half HP and dashes in to finish them off.
That's her job: killstealing.

Frykka

07-11-2010

The saddest part of playing Evelynn in Random Queue besides all the dodge rage is fail teammates... I am almost always doing fairly well by level 6 or 7 getting down the first gank with 1-2 kills and having my core items done without a death. In standard fashion I am up against my team that has...

Been ganked in their lane, sometimes more than once...
Never set-up for gank, push in their lane when you sit for gank and give escape route...
Fail to have map awareness and push into another gank...
Keep laning long after teamfights have started... or they have lost or kill middle tower.
Do not know champ abilities and get suckered...
Initiate before the tank, or other team if at/near your own tower...
Focus the tank...
Do not focus same target...

As Evelynn I will not initiate, I go in second for follow up stun on the focus target... how often have I watched our entire team initiate just out of our tower range, jump in one at a time, split up damage, get no kills, and then question Evelynn's viability... She is great with a good team and poor with a bad team... her best game cannot make up for a terrible team however.

ImBahBz

07-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frykka View Post
She is great with a good team and poor with a bad team.
Because she is either being carried, or she is not.

there aren't any potential builds for Eve, because, Eve is worthless.

Corpsestomp

07-11-2010

I'd say, since Eve can eat someone really fast, and needs to, that she should be built for snowballing. Boots, Mejai's, Lichbane, Zhonya's, Nashor's, Rylai's is what a friend of mine(who has given up on Eve, due to the fact that she's countered so easily), would run, and it worked really well. Generally he'd start with Regrowth Pendant, into Philo stone, then boots, then Mejai's.