Love Udyr but hes not an easy champ

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mikhal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGKodama View Post
Actually, Tiger Stance at rank 5 with a decent amount of AD can ruin the day of an squishy carry far more than Phoenix can; It's not as suited for AoE damage like Phoenix, but focusing moreso on single target burst damage.

That and you can push towers better with it, and while it's seperated into three different attacks they do have the ability to crit.

Not saying either stance is better than the other, but Tiger Stance is far too underrated for its uses.
Just curious (sorry to OP for stealing topic for a moment), does Tiger Stance still bug out when you use it with madreds? It only does 150 damage bonus damage instead of the bonus 500, but it didn't spread out on the three hits for me either O.o!

IFunkForFree

07-10-2010

All on hit effects apply on the first hit of the three part strike. This is why phoenix stance is a better alternative if you plan on jungling or farming creeps.

Von Nicklesnout

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhal View Post
Just curious (sorry to OP for stealing topic for a moment), does Tiger Stance still bug out when you use it with madreds? It only does 150 damage bonus damage instead of the bonus 500, but it didn't spread out on the three hits for me either O.o!
Items like Bloodrazor or Black Cleaver only proc on the first of the three hits, so if you use the Active DoT, it's not going to add the Bloodrazor effect until Udyr starts doing his little Fist of the North Star animation.

Here's a basic comparison of the two:

Tiger:

+ Better single target damage
+ High burst
- Starves you of gold
- Not really used outside of AD/DPS builds.

Phoenix:

+ Better AoE
+ More sustained damage
- Relies on attack speed from items like Phantom dancer or Triforce for proc.
- Causes the enemies to run when activated.

They both have their pros and cons, but it's really up to how you want to play Udyr. If you feel like jungling/tanking/farming, Phoenix is the far better choice. If you want to annihilate squishies and play like a pseudo-assassin, go with Tiger.

GamBino826

07-10-2010

Phoenix got nerfed, so now people usually go with Tiger stance even though he's rarely used now. He's still very good for ganking and jungling but less so with damage output because of his weaker phoenix.

A Tryhardosaurus

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexstrus View Post
I've always found Udyr to be an interesting character but hes is difficult to play. Hes pure melee so I grab cleanse to counter exhaust and grab ignite as well. I get lifesteal first and I can stay in lane really well at the beginning but after the lane phase it becomes tough. I usually build attack speed and try to switch stances often. I don't know generally how quick you should switch stances to benefit from him but at the same time not blow all your mana within 10 seconds. It also seems that I get targetted alot when I play Udyr, even the squishy AP champ is less of a priority. How can you do more damage with his abilities? he doesn't seem like a physically strong champ. What to buy and when?

I know a guide would answer these questions but a guide is the perspective of one person. I followed a guide but it didn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

With udyr, you don't really need lifesteal, turtle stance will cover that for you, and it's lifesteal is based on damage. Try out getting turtle first then phoenix. Max both skills first, then get bear and max it. Obviously rest go to tiger. You have really 3 main skills you will be using for killing, which are bear, phoenix, and turtle. The main goal of Udyr is to stack up your monkey passive by switching stances asap right after the first cooldown ends. Typicallly, you do bear first to stun, then go phoenix, then bear, and if you notice you're taking a bit too much of a beating, that is when you start switching in to turtle. Switch as much as possible.

Early game your mana is going to die... and die out fast. This is why you should try using turtle stance more than phoenix early game. Usually for me, I get boots first before anything (using aspd runes). I don't like wasting money on sword, so I get boots, then when I get enough, I either get ninja tabis or mercs treads depending on who I am mainly up against. Usually you can never go wrong with mercs. After that I build my sunfire. I don't think the sunfire effect stacks up, but after that I go full tank items. Trust me, I can take on 3 people at ones with this build.

Skillwise, I use cleanse and ignite. Cleanse is very important for Udyr because he gets into the heart of battle a lot, and he will need cleanse to remove debuffs. You don't need ghost, you already have bear stance, which I will explain to you now. When being chased, use bear stance and turtle stance. If you have ignite, cast it on your chaser, but do it fast, you want him to stop chasing you. Tiger stance, I only use it for jungling, but even so barely, it's also good for turret killing.

Hope this helps.

Caanon

07-10-2010

With an armor pen stacking, tiger stance udyr you can eat squishy for breakfast. I normally build Brutalizer
Ninja tabi
Starks
Phage
Blackcleaver

Then build frozen mallet and yomuu's if possible. With this build and armor pen marks, you will utterly destroy squishy hero. I normally two shot Ez, teemo and most other Ap or carry wtith the tiger dot. And yes armor pen effects it. No one can run from you and no one can catch you. I run cleanse and ghost, it works extremely well. Also, with stancedancing you become not only a squishy eater but a stun machine/off tank. AD/Armorpen tiger stance Udyr is highly underrated in my honest opinion.

FreeBeers

07-10-2010

to everyone in this thread who has recently bought Udyr and having a hard time:

Don't give up! He was very difficult to learn, but basically what you're after is the awareness of your stances cd's and knowing when to use which one. Practice, practice, practice, and one day it'll just click. You'll get a fluidity with him that is so addicting you'll main him. Abuse all of your stances.

The thing about the vamp scepter as a first item might be ok if you're pure jungle, but if you plan to lane get a saph crystal and some hp pots so you can spam turtle...and most importantly when you hear people tell you to spam turtle, it doesn't mean use it every time the cd is up. Block any nukes that come your way, or harass with an auto attack with your shield up to negate their retaliation.

There is an awful lot of grief learning to Udyr right...your masteries make a huge impact and you need to make sure they correlate with your playstyle. For example, I run a very unorthodox 9/9/12...but this setup works for me.

sincerely,

Udyr lover.

Jack 0f Fools

07-10-2010

Udyr ganks who he pleases.

Level Tiger stance. Udyr need all stances to win. True Udyr run 5 tiger 5 turtle 4 bear 4 phoenix at 18.

Why? Tiger dot!

Silly newdyrs don't use tiger dot. Udyr say:

wait in bushes. Tiger stance RAWR! fast like kitty. Now, udyr have 6 seconds before can use Tiger dot again. what to do?

Bear stance! Ghost! run in! Stun + tiger dot. Tiger stance off cooldown? ANOTHER tiger dot! now phoenix/tiger for damage, bear turtle for defense.

Udyr win!

Silly newdyrs who only use Phoneix have to stay still and get dead. Tiger udyr run in, hit DOT, use turtle/bear, live. Do again. Many, many many times.

Sharkpower

07-10-2010

Udyr is a pretty nasty tank/offtank. He can take huge amounts of damage with high MR/AR, block nukes with turtle stance, and outrun melees trying to chase him by popping bear stance. He also is great early game, as he can jungle very quickly, and jumping out of bushes with golem + lizard buff and bear stance active can pretty much always score a kill on a side lane.

DayInTheSun

07-10-2010

What does everyone feel about soul shroud on Udyr? It gives health, CDR and mana per 5 which are all stats that Udyr needs I think. Plus it's an aura that benefits the team and helps get rid of his need for the golem buff a ton early-mid game, kind of like how locket was minus the healing.