How do you play your yi?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stetzer

10-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helthros View Post
I build my Phage first. Getting the extra 200hp really helps you get kills in early laning when people are surprised they can't burst you down. Tanks exchanging slugs with you only to find they're slipping.

With meditate it really lets you stay in the lane all day.

I find I can't really get as many kills as I would like without some kind of slowing (unless you rely on lizard buff)
I don't see why you should need to get meditate early. I've never had a problem farming creeps with alpha strike, getting in hits on heroes, and still getting out with very little health loss. Personally, I think meditate burns way too much mana at low levels / hinders your damage early.

If you are taking a lot of hits, you are probably overly aggressive, or you are alpha striking heroes instead of front row creeps. Targeting the front row creeps can still allow you to hit heroes, and it teleports you back to a safer place.

Bongotunadreg

10-06-2009

Ok I'll let you guys in on a secret, Tiamat procs with Alpha Strike.

If you played dota you know what that means. When you splash on each of the 4 hits, your damage hits multiple targets 4 times. So if the enemy is all bunched up, you have the potential to deliver 20 instances of damage. Not to mention double striking with splash and its advantages.

I'm the only Master Yi player that I've seen to use this tactic.

Basically you start the game with rejuv beads and faerie charm (components of tiamat). Then you can either finish the tiamat, or build swift boots/berserker greaves. I prefer swift boots because you can chase even faster and escape as well. Highlander gives you the attack speed anyway. After that I normally get infinite edge, and then armor pen items such as last whisper or starks fervor. Brutalizer would also be a good option. Bloodthirster is highly recomended, because you will have low HP and will need the lifesteal.

I typically don't get meditate until late game, because if you cast Wuju before you Alpha, you do more damage.

This tactic works very well and if the enemy is weakened you can kill entire teams with one Alpha strike and a short chase for the last guy.

Dezaithis of Xenithar

10-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongotunadreg View Post
Ok I'll let you guys in on a secret, Tiamat procs with Alpha Strike.

If you played dota you know what that means. When you splash on each of the 4 hits, your damage hits multiple targets 4 times. So if the enemy is all bunched up, you have the potential to deliver 20 instances of damage. Not to mention double striking with splash and its advantages.

I'm the only Master Yi player that I've seen to use this tactic.

Basically you start the game with rejuv beads and faerie charm (components of tiamat). Then you can either finish the tiamat, or build swift boots/berserker greaves. I prefer swift boots because you can chase even faster and escape as well. Highlander gives you the attack speed anyway. After that I normally get infinite edge, and then armor pen items such as last whisper or starks fervor. Brutalizer would also be a good option. Bloodthirster is highly recomended, because you will have low HP and will need the lifesteal.

I typically don't get meditate until late game, because if you cast Wuju before you Alpha, you do more damage.

This tactic works very well and if the enemy is weakened you can kill entire teams with one Alpha strike and a short chase for the last guy.

I just tested a Tiamat with Alpha Strike in a practice game, and I don't think it's really dealing additional damage to nearby targets at all. When I first read your post, I was confused but intrigued. Confused, because Alpha Strike is not based on attack damage or attack effects whatsoever, but intrigued because maybe the splash effect worked anyway.

But it doesn't, unfortunately. However, Tiamat IS nice if you happen to have two opponents next each other and you have them on the run when you Highlander. Especially when you crit them a lot.

Stetzer

10-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezaithis of Xenithar View Post
But it doesn't, unfortunately. However, Tiamat IS nice if you happen to have two opponents next each other and you have them on the run when you Highlander. Especially when you crit them a lot.
Even if Alpha Strike procced Tiamat, why would you want to waste the gold on it anyways? Master Yi already has a very easy time farming creeps. In terms of two people standing real close to each other, well that's pretty situational. Instead of buying tiamat, you could have last whisper instead. A cheaper item that is better.

SheriffLobo

10-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetzer View Post
I don't see why you should need to get meditate early.

I had the same idea....until I met a gangplank who out of the blue crit me with his parleey for 600 at level 6...I learned my lesson...and have at least one point in meditate early now...well...when I have a gangplank in my lane.

Stetzer

10-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriffLobo View Post
I had the same idea....until I met a gangplank who out of the blue crit me with his parleey for 600 at level 6...I learned my lesson...and have at least one point in meditate early now...well...when I have a gangplank in my lane.
So, you don't get so close, and you play close to your turret. I just literally played a game laning against Zilean / Veigar. Zilean made every effort to time bomb me. I still managed to alpha every CD without getting bombed. The amount of mana it takes to meditate is just too much for the health return. Plus, as soon as I hit 6 I ganked both of them with ult / wuju / alpha / exhaust.

I guess to each his own. If I see another Yi in the game with meditate at early levels, I generally go gank him at lvl 6. I know he won't have the dmg output I have.

Danulas

10-07-2009

I don't. I feel dirty playing him because he's so good at the moment.

Stetzer

10-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danulas View Post
I don't. I feel dirty playing him because he's so good at the moment.
Why because a Yi who stays alive, jungles, and gets kills which leads to more items is OP? Master Yi can easily be disabled / stunned by a team. He also doesn't have very much defense unless someone builds him with some in which case he isn't as strong as an all offense Yi.

Rudeboymike

10-08-2009

Master Yi is OP... when playin against a pug. Any smart team knows hes the first burn target. All it takes is a 2 second stun to shut him out.

Now his ability to crush towers may be the only thing thats imba about him

Bongotunadreg

10-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezaithis of Xenithar View Post
I just tested a Tiamat with Alpha Strike in a practice game, and I don't think it's really dealing additional damage to nearby targets at all. When I first read your post, I was confused but intrigued. Confused, because Alpha Strike is not based on attack damage or attack effects whatsoever, but intrigued because maybe the splash effect worked anyway.

I notice a significance in damage when alpha striking with Tiamat, and not just the +dmg. I wouldn't be convinced of this unless someone tested it thoroughly.