(Repost) Cooldown display vs. availibility

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Husbane

10-05-2009

Saw this again today on Trist and Gangplank -- same Masteries and Runes, Flash and Teleport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husbane View Post
Hello and good morning Riot Staff --

I've reported this a few times over the last couple of months, and while it's less common, it does still occur -- I had it two games in a row last night. I'm gonna put everything I think may be relevant.

Summary of issue:

The basic issue is that my spell icons in the display interface show that the spells are available when they aren't. This includes both Champion and Summoner spells. This occurs consistently throughout a game -- meaning, if it happens at all, it happens the entire game.

Another odd manifestation of this issue is noticed when using "Blue Pill" or "Teleport", you click the spell and there is a slight delay before the Champion starts to port -- maybe, 1.5 seconds. In addition, at the destination location, the animation for "porting in" is displayed about ~1.5 seconds before actually arriving at the destination. This is odd, and is the one thing that makes me thing my Hypothesis (below) on why this is occurring may be incorrect.

Some basic data:

1. The delay between displayed availability and actual availability seems to be proportional to the actual cooldown of the spell in question. The longer the cooldown, the longer the delay. In the case of "Flash" it can be almost a minute between showing it's available and actually being usable.
  2. Runes: I have only noticed this issue when running one of my two "Cooldown Reduction" Rune pages. I have one with ~6% and another with ~11%. However, I can't say for sure that it hasn't happened when running a page with no CDR.
  3. Masteries: I have only noticed this when running the 9/0/21 Mastery setup with 9% CDR. However, I can't say for sure that is hasn't happened when running other setups.
  4. Latency: My ping is always below 30-40MS. Always.
  5. Frame-rate: My frame-rate is always above 60FPS and usually closer to 90FPS. Always.
  6. This has happened on many different Champions, most recently: Rammus and Blitzcrank.
  7. This is -- as previously stated -- an intermittent issue, occurring in some games, but not others. It does seem to happen in consecutive games though -- meaning, if I don't log out and log back in, it will continue to occur.
  8. I pretty much always take "Flash" and "Teleport" as my Summoner spells and it effects both, when this issue is present

Hypothesis:

My hypothesis is that this has something to do with Cooldown Reduction -- either masteries, runes or both. I believe that the spells are displaying that they are cooled down correctly, however, they aren't becoming usable until they're unmodified cooldown time has been reached.

Theoretical example: Flash has a standard cooldown of 6 minutes (or 360 seconds). With the 15% Summoner spell CDR Mastery, that would make it 306 seconds (almost a minute less). Therefore (if this Hypothesis is correct), the graphical button for "Flash" would show it's available (un-gray) after 306 seconds, but the actual spell would not be usable for the full 360 seconds.

Summary:

This issue is real. I've been seeing it since I started playing the game several months ago. I have reported it in my Top 5 and in bug reports -- granted, in way less detail. I have talked to other people who have seen the same issue, although not in quite some time. Regardless of the Champion I'm playing, when experiencing the issue, I'm fairly useless in games and have to resort to playing extremely defensively and supportive, given that I never truly know when my abilities are going to actually be usable.

Thank you for reading,
J

Husbane

10-05-2009

After logging out and logging back in, I saw this one again on Pirate again.

Husbane

10-06-2009

I also saw this in a later game on Ashe, where I wasn't running my CDR spec or my CDR runes, so my Hypothesis is out the window.

J

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

10-06-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Thanks for reporting. The specifics are much appreciated.

LOL-7625

Husbane

10-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Perring View Post
Thanks for reporting. The specifics are much appreciated.
Thanks for replying, I've been banging my head against the wall with this one for months. Depending on which Champ I'm on (Aumum and Ashe for exmaple) it can be a game wrecker. I mentioned this on my first post on this a couple of months ago, but forgot to include it here, I've seen it on four different computers with varying video cards manufactures, so it's not an independent machine issue.

Thanks!
Josh