[Guide] Mordekaiser - The Coolidge Way

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calvin Coolidge

07-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
Generally I see the Warmogg-Kaisers taking Creeping death first, and I laugh. Hard. And proceed to walk all over them.

If you run into a group of enemies with Creeping death on, what's to stop them from just walking past you and attacking your carry? You aren't a hard tank, you can't make people fight you. And even if you can, many champions have ranged abilities, and can just kite your Death until it wears off, plinking you the whole time.

I've played game after game where I end out outleveling them, and when I've got a maxed Siphon + Mace, it means I'm dealing massive AOE damage to their entire team every few seconds. Yes, if they stand next to your fully-leveled Creeping Death for the full six seconds, they take 480 damage, and then it's off cooldown for another up to six seconds before you can do it again. Assuming no CDR, During this twelve second period, I launch four Mace of Spades for ~800 (to four targets each, or 1200 to one target) and 3 Siphons for 735. Yes, you're obviously doing other things during that period of time, but my damage output is not reliant on the other champions clustering around me - Siphon has a solid range, and Mace can be used on an adjacent enemy to hit enemies who are outside of Creeping death range.
Not to mention that having a leveled Mace-Siphon combo in lane is insane. Every time they come to try and grab a last hit or to harass, they're going to take a huge chunk of their life. If your primary damage source is Creeping, they're probably taking at most 1-2 seconds worth of its damage. Additionally, you're not going to be pushing the lane as hard and thus have less freedom to roam for creeps or ganks.
Meh, I do the same thing with maxed siphon and creep first. With a level advantage Mord just stomps face with siphon and then all you need is a good ignite->ult and you can 3v1 pretty **** easily.

And your mace does rely on people being around you, melee range is even shorter than creeping death range. Level 1 mace of spades actually does a fair amount of damage, unlike level 1 creeping death.

You can't make people fight you, but you can bring the fight to them. If they chicken out, they're not getting experience or gold. Which means your doing your job.

And this build is not a Warmog-Keiser because those things are an abomination. Just because they take creeping death as well, doesn't mean that creeping death is bad. It just means that warmogs sucks (which most people should understand by now)

omgacow

07-09-2010

I laugh when I see people not build the best item for morde in every ****ing build on this website and leaguecraft

Calvin Coolidge

07-09-2010

Quote:
Also Coolidge, regarding two things:
1) Nimbleness + Tabi. Yes, this is handy. But if your primary desire is to be able to close the gap to drop harass, have you considered going 21 Utility (for the 3% speed) and Boots of Swiftness? This gets you up to 417 constantly, while Tabi-Nimbleness puts you at 423 - only slightly higher, and not all the time. Again though, I don't find this to be an issue, as I'm generally pushing them to the tower very quickly. They can either back away from the tower and let me knock it down, or stay there and let me harass them under the tower. There's not a ton of gap-closing going on I find.
I just love tabi, what can I say. Even AP characters auto attack, and if dodging makes you more powerful, it further encourages them to play like chickens. Which translates to less experience and more gold.

Quote:
2) Ghost vs. Flash - What I really dislike about Flash is how quickly its benefit is over. You flash once, and it's done. For casters like Annie, Ryze, and Veigar who can take advantage of this to drop a stun and thousands of damage, this is highly beneficial. For more sustained damage dealers like Morde, you benefit more from not letting them get away from you for a sustained period of time - particularly if you're leveling Creeping Death. Flash might net you 1-2 CD ticks, while Ghost can keep the whole six seconds on them, while also dropping multiple Maces and Siphons.
I can see the appeal for ghost, just not in the way I play Mord. The way I do it is to focus on the burst, you get in, you drop your load, and you get out. Flash lets you do this with much less predictability than ghost. Ghost is nice for chasing and stopping yes, but that's not really how your going to shut down a carry early game, in my view.

But if it works for you more power to you.

wildfire393

07-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Coolidge View Post
I can see the appeal for ghost, just not in the way I play Mord. The way I do it is to focus on the burst, you get in, you drop your load, and you get out. Flash lets you do this with much less predictability than ghost. Ghost is nice for chasing and stopping yes, but that's not really how your going to shut down a carry early game, in my view.

But if it works for you more power to you.
Okay, now I'm really confused. If you aim to drop your load all burst-y, why not level your burst-nuke (Mace) over your DoT AoE (Creeping)?

Yes, you are right that 1 level of Mace does more than one level of creeping (which is why I don't even bother with creeping early), but more mace not only equals a little more damage (honestly not its biggest draw), but lower cooldowns. It not only turns it into a burst nuke (That +200 against a solo target is no laughing matter), but it makes it so that burst nuke is up ALL THE TIME.

That's the last I'm saying about this, I realize I'm probably getting obnoxious by now, but at least on Treeline I swear by Mace.

Carados

07-09-2010

You can put creeping death on other people, you know.

Khranz

07-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
You can put creeping death on other people, you know.
This.

I gave up Tank Morde for Tough Carry Morde and I usually drop CD on my team's Alistar/Shen.

Only time I use CD on myself is in lane or if I'm all alone 1v1/2/3ing.

Calvin Coolidge

07-10-2010

Quote:
Okay, now I'm really confused. If you aim to drop your load all burst-y, why not level your burst-nuke (Mace) over your DoT AoE (Creeping)?

Yes, you are right that 1 level of Mace does more than one level of creeping (which is why I don't even bother with creeping early), but more mace not only equals a little more damage (honestly not its biggest draw), but lower cooldowns. It not only turns it into a burst nuke (That +200 against a solo target is no laughing matter), but it makes it so that burst nuke is up ALL THE TIME.

That's the last I'm saying about this, I realize I'm probably getting obnoxious by now, but at least on Treeline I swear by Mace.
Like I said I see the appeal behind mace, in Twisted Treeline its probably great as more fighting seems to take place in the open and in jungle.

However in SR and laning against a carry for the first 9-11 levels, using creeping death to take less damage from turrets, carries, and just casting it on minions to gather up some shield is why I max it first.

Not to mention its much harder to hit with it when playing against a defensive minded player.

Matthew21210

07-10-2010

Cho'Gath is a better anti carry who is also better at tanking AND doing damage in an AoE late game.
Sorry to pop your bubble like a coolidge girl's cherry at an A&M frat party.
(As nicely as possible, and really fast, because he's a gentleman)

Resilga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew21210 View Post
Cho'Gath is a better anti carry who is also better at tanking AND doing damage in an AoE late game.
Sorry to pop your bubble like a coolidge girl's cherry at an A&M frat party.
(As nicely as possible, and really fast, because he's a gentleman)

what is this i dont even

Resilga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgacow View Post
I laugh when I see people not build the best item for morde in every ****ing build on this website and leaguecraft
What, sheen>triforce?

:\