Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Mordekaiser - The Coolidge Way

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calvin Coolidge

07-09-2010

Introduction -

Apparently Mordekaiser is in tier F. Apparently I don't care. Anyway, if your reading this you're probably wondering how to play Mordekaiser, but first! In order to understand Mordekaiser, one must understand his role.

I've seen him described as a tough melee character, a tough mage, a tank with no initiate, a tough, melee, spell casting tank with no initiate. It runs the gamut.

Well lets not bother mixing words if you wanna play Mordekaiser the Coolidge way, you better bet your sorry ass that you will be playing Mordekaiser as an Anti-Carry. What does that even mean? What does an anti-carry do? Well **** you man, you just answered your own question. Your anti-ing their carry by being an in your face tour-de-force. The way your gonna do that is by surviving, bursting, and controlling the laning phase as long as possible ... but how does one do that?!?!? Read the guide!

Summoner Abilities
-

There are two acceptable options here.

Flash and Ignite.

Ignite - Your ultimate (Children of the Grave) is utter balls without ignite. With ignite however this thing is beastly. If your opponent doesn't have cleanse and are at 1/3 of their life then a simple flash->E (siphon of destruction) ->Ignite -> Ult will finish them as they run behind their turret and further lose valuable experience that is needed for the enemy carry to do well mid to late game.

If your opponent does have cleanse its going to take a slip-up on their part. The opening is slightly different though. Flash -> Q (Mace of Spaces) -> W (Creeping Death) -> E -> Ignite...(Wait For Cleanse)...-> Ult

HELL YEAH NO MORE WORRYING ABOUT CLEANSE

But imma leave that up anyway in case it gets put back in again.

This requires you to be closer in order for this to happen, and honestly there's not going to be many opportunities for this to work unless they slip up.

Flash - Great for both offense and defense. But if your doin' things the Coolidge way you need to save this for some extra offensive oomph. If you do get stuck in a bad spot, just flash over a wall. Congrats! You just survived.

Did I mention you can use it to avoid turret shots? Great for Oscar Mike-ing out of a potentially deadly exhaust when you dive a turret.

What not to Use for Summoner Spells

Cleanse -> you are not a frilly defensive Mord you are a go-getter. You grab life by the balls and caress 'dat sweet donk on the opponents carry all game long.

Exhaust -> Flash is a much better alternative in that its much easier to predict an exhaust than a sudden flash of massive damage!

Ghost -> Suffers from the same problems as exhaust. Too predictable.

Heal and Revive -> If you considered these two, I'd suggest you choose a different champion. One who uses a purse and spends all their day shopping like Soraka.

Smite, Rally, Clarity, Fortify, Clairvoyance - Stop it please.

Runes -

Marks (Red) - Magic Pen (Insight)

Makes your spells do more damage (If you didn't know your AP ratios are bad... REALLY bad.)

Seals (Yellow) - Dodge (Evasion)

7% dodge, comes out to 7% less damage against you with auto attacks, and tons of hilarity with missed pick a cards.

Glyph (Blue) - Magic Resistance (Shielding)

The item build I use puts the front-end on stopping auto attacks, and by having glyphs to mitigate the early game spells it gives you even more staying power.

Quintessence (Purple) - Flat Health (Fortitude)

Have you seen Phreak's spotlights?!? Flat Health goes with everything. Bro.

Masteries -

0/21/9

This is what I use Right HERE (thanks wildfire)

(http://i.imgur.com/xKkNe.jpg) Bla Bla Bla more defense means more shutting down their carries. You get the picture.

Item Build -

Start with a rejuvenation bead and 6, count 'em, 6 health potions.

First trip Back -
You should get a ninja tabi, and you should go back when you kill the enemy carry or the enemy carry ports back. You can dominate most carries with a rejuv bead and ninja tabi alone until mid-game, the increased move speed lets you chase better, and set up siphons better. A win-win. With any left-over dosh grab a regrowth pendent and if you have a few gold left go ahead and get yourself some wards and place them around mid. You've earned 'em.

Second Trip -
Get a negatron cloak and build a phage. Even more move speed is awesome and getting increased regen based on lost health increases your staying power.

Third Trip -
Turn your rejuv bead into a Warden's mail. You are now VERY hard to kill, and once team fights start you can do a decent job tanking, especially with a level advantage. With left over money either buy a giant's belt to turn into a frozen mallet if you are absolutely plowing the early game, or take a force-o-nature if you've only scraped up 1 or 2 kills.

Fourth Trip -
Buy whatever you didn't get from trip 3 so either Frozen Mallet! Often times I see people build Rylai's over Frozen Mallet, however I LOVE frozen mallet. Your ghost you control with your ult proc's Frozen Mallet as well, so you can actually set your little buddy on one guy while you hammer on another. Two slows! EGADS! Oh and also hex-tec revolver. More healin = more hurtin.

Or Force-o-nature, because run-speed and magic resist are truly, truly, truly outrageous

Fifth Trip (In All Likelihood Final) - Getting killed? Turn Wardens into Randuin's Omen.

You've got extra slots everywhere! Buy whatever you need! Gettin teh pwned? get a guardians angel! Gettin smacked by melee? Get a sunfire! Need more deeps? Abyssal Scepter! Gettin rocked by magic? Get the **** out!

Congrats you now build like Coolidge, but can you play like him?

BUT FIRST A QUOTE!

Quote:
"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley.
In other words if emulating me isn't workin' for you, try to make it fit your style more, maybe you prefer Mace of Spades to Creeping Death, that's cool. We can still be friends, anyway, onto the rest of the guide.

Skills -

Siphon of Destruction (E)
Creeping Death (W)
Mace Of Spades (Q)
---> YOU CAN NOW DO WRAITH MOBS IN 2 SECONDS FLAT <---
Children of the Grave (R)

From here on level up based on this simple idea R->E->W->Q

Reasoning?

Siphon does lots of damage to carry characters. Creeping lets you last longer, and lets you run along side people and do damage! Hilarious! Your Mace is pretty 'meh' for this kind of thing, you won't be melee'ing too much until later game anyway.

Oh and here are the AP ratio's taken from Motas's list of AP values here! (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=15812)

Creeping Death 0.15 (per second for 5 seconds, anywhere from 0.15 to 0.75)
Siphon of Destruction 0.4
Children of the Grave (life drain) 0.05%
Children of the Grave (additional stat growth) 0.02%

So the AP values are, bad, bad, and bad.

And that is why AP is practically worthless on Mord.

Onto the Game! -

Early Game
Get Mid. Get Mid Get Mid. Suck your team's carries hoo-haw I don't care, just get mid. My current strategy is to say "Ill paypal you 5 dollars if I disappoint." And I never disappoint.

Once you get mid, levels 1-6 are a simple game of "Put the enemy champion in the siphon." Keep your shield topped off by using mace of spades and creeping death. Once you level to 4 you have all your base skills, which means you can kill wraiths extremely quickly! So do it every time its up when you are out of enemy minions to kills. A level advantage is key!

Once you get to level 6, make the enemy carry get low enough on health that you can use either of the combo's i've written down in the spells category. It's easy enough. As a rule of thumb if you are at less than half health, your ignite is on cooldown, and your ult is up, feel free to cast it on the enemy carry. You get life and your ult is worthless just sitting there with no ignite.

Remember NEVER LEAVE LANE UNTIL THE CARRY IS DEAD OR B'd.

With wraiths and kills you should start accruing a healthy level advantage.

If you have killed them you probably have a ghost of them so you can destroy that middle turret... BUT WE ARENT GOING TO. DO NOT DESTROY THAT MIDDLE TURRET.

If you destroy that first middle turret, every time you want to harass the enemy carry you will have to over-extend leaving you vulnerable to a gank. So let that turret be and keep farming that carry.

If the carry has learned something at this point, they are probably staying back. Try to get them out of experience range through creative use of siphon.

Mid-GameAt this point you should be beefed up with items in terms of health. You should be 2-5 levels higher than the other carry, which means you can still do damage. Keep using siphon and your ult+ignite combo to kill the carry. If you have killed them and don't want to buy, keep farming creep or help another lane out. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Late-Game

Everyone is level 18. You no longer do that much damage compared to mid or early game. Hopefully your team has at least gone even with the other team and has not fed. You can do a decent job tanking, and you really can't anti-carry anymore with absolutely no laning left. The key is good use of your ult. You can use it to increase your survivability and since you have frozen mallet by this point you can slow and effectively harass those who try to hurt your carries. You can also run down people with your force of nature - tabi - nimbleness into a frozen mallet of hurt after a fight.

The key here is that the longer that match becomes, the more worthless you are, so try to finish by the 35-45 minute mark.

Keep in mind you still have an open slot with my item build. You can throw a GA in there for kicks, or an Abyssal Scepter if no one else on the team has one. (Edit - 7/9/10)

tl:dr

Control lane phase -> Control enemy carry -> Use level advantage to help team push -> Win the game.

Quizard Raderack

07-09-2010

Great guide..+1 rating for you

wildfire393

07-09-2010

So many things wrong with this guide.

For starters, you advocate using Mordekaiser on Summoner's Rift. He's tier F for a reason, bro. Because he's terrible on Summoner's rift. He's amazing at Treeline, but on SR you're better off with just about anyone. Games tend to go to 25+ minutes on SR, and when it hits that point, Morde starts losing 1v1 versus pretty much any non-tank. In Treeline, he can bowl over a victory before that point.

For two, your item build. Always Tabi? What if their mid is a caster? What if they have 3-4 stuns? Mercury Treads needs to be in consideration, and you should at least mention that Sorcerer's Shoes are a possibility if for some reason the matchup calls for neither Tabi or Treads.
Force of Nature as your first real item? Kindly leave. Force of Nature is a situational item at best on Morde, that I'd only ever pick up if the enemy team was 4+ mages, and even then I'd wait until after my core items. What are his core items, you ask? Randuin's Omen and Spirit Visage. With these two items, you get 27% Cooldown reduction, which provides a lot more spammability on your skills (which means a lot more damage). You also get a ton of HP regen and an AOE Slow, which actually gives you the ability to somewhat initiate.

Next, masteries. 21 Defense is fairly obvious, but where you put your points is not. Do you seriously advocate Strength of Spirit? You realize that Morde has no Mana Pool, and thus those three points are 100% wasted, right? Additionally, 9 in offense is incredibly useful for Morde, as it gives him CDR and Magic Pen, his two best offensive stats. I'd advocate 9/21/0, 9/0/21 (full CDR), or maybe even 9/13/8 (getting the exp mastery in Utility, as that's very useful for Morde). Not taking 9 in Offense is a travesty though.

Next, Summoner Spells. Morde has some burst, but his main strength comes from being able to continuously dish out damage. Because of this, Ghost > Flash. You flash, you get to hit someone once with Mace/Siphon and then they get away. You Flash, you can chase them across the entire map, dropping Mace and Siphon on them the whole time. Also, Cleanse is very useful as you need to be not CC'd in order to launch your abilities in order to keep your shield up.

Next, Runes. mostly good here, but I'd say that CDR > MR in Glyphs, unless you're running 9/0/21 (at which point, more than 4% there is wasted once you get your core items).

Finally, Skills. I laugh every time I see a Morde take Creeping Death over Mace. Why? Leveling Mace greatly reduces its cooldown and increases the damage. With a full Siphon and a decently leveled Mace, you have all kinds of burst damage on a 4-6 second cooldown. Take an entire minion wave in a second. Knock 400 HP off of your lane opponent 5 seconds later. A few seconds later, take the entire wraith camp. Come back, knock down an entire creepwave. Harass your lane opponent again. Take his wraith camp.
What is Creeping death doing for you all this time? A minor Armor/MR buff and that's pretty much it. Creepwaves/wraith camps won't be alive long enough to leech from. Your opponent won't be standing next to you if they can help it. So you're taking an ability with a massive cooldown and a short window of usefulness that you'll maybe get 2 ticks worth of usage out of each time it cycles around. Whereas with a leveled Mace, it will always be up when you want it, as well as splashing more damage and thus giving you more shield.

VejiTehDestroyer

07-09-2010

I've read hear and over at Leaguecraft, repeatedly, that Mace of Spades does not scale well. Is this true? I don't know. Does it scale well when you get around to strapping on some AP? I dunno.

Either way, i agree with the guy above me, bad guide. Good try, but you're losing effectiveness by putting everything you have into health and AD items (and then runing Magic Pen).

Magic Pen runes = good.
Dodge runes = bad, you need HP regen.
MR runes are situational, go CDR/per lvl.

I believe there is a balance with Morde, and that is to get enough health regen and CDR, then start piling on the AP if you have the opportunity.

Sprit Visage > Sor/Merc Treads > Raduin's Omen > Ryali Sceptor (because you'll hit them with SoD if they run) > Insert AP itme here.

EDIT: I Actually looked up the tool tips on the 2 abilities.

Mace of Spades:

Quote:
On next hit, Mordekaiser swings his mace with such force that it echoes out, striking up to 3 additional nearby targets, dealing his attack damage plus 20/40/60/80/100 bonus damage.

So if your playing a AD Morde, which would be terrible, since you're gimping your SoD, then the AD doesn't really do much for MoS. My question is, what increases that 100 bonus damage? AP or AD?

Creeping Death:
Quote:
Unleashes a protective cloud of metal shards to surround an ally, increasing their armor and magic resistance by 10/15/20/25/30 and dealing 20/35/50/65/80 (+0.15) damage per second to enemies in the cloud for 6 seconds.

Add 30 MR to the 33 MR you are getting from your mandatory Spirit Visage pick and this seems extremely appealing when facing a team with Ryze and Annie lurking around. The bonus damage here is kinda situational.

Marokeas

07-09-2010

im pleasantly surprised, u give some good tips on how to play as morde, but the build is really lackluster in my opinion.
you started right, rejuv beads and health potions and u upgrade boots quick, also a good choice as morde, although, for ANY champ, boots are situational and i'll be honest, on morde swiftnessORsorc>tabi. This is because morde already has CRAZY defense against damage, his bane is stuns.
morde can take on 3v1 with ease in mid game...unless they stun you a few times. Cleanse is a good choice for morde, and merc treads are a MUST if there's more than two characters who can stun you on the enemy team.
I agree with most things Wildfire says, he's got good points, but he's missing a single core item that makes morde amazing: Abyssal scepter.
Magic Resist (GREAT)
Ability power(well...this isn't what we're buying the item for, but its a decent bonus)
Magic resist reduction (THIS IS GODLY, IT HELPS UR WHOLE FRICKEN TEAM SO MUCH)
Then morde's core becomes
Spirit visage, boots(sorc, swiftness, or merc treads), Randuins omen, and Abyssal
You have now two slots left and if ur morde you should be farming like a beast and have this by the 30min mark if ur doin half decent.
Those two slots now go into whatever resist you need to focus, a sunfire and thornmail for heavy dps, a FoN and a Wit's end(yes im serious) for casters. a aegis and guardian angel against mixed.

also, a guardian angel can be bought early to REALLY annoy your enemy and make morde able to easily solo push a lane mid-late game. When he does this, the enemy cant send just one champ, they have to send AT LEAST two to kill you, and probably three. otherwise you'll just kill them and continue.

Calvin Coolidge

07-09-2010

Quote:
wildfire393:
So many things wrong with this guide.

For starters, you advocate using Mordekaiser on Summoner's Rift. He's tier F for a reason, bro. Because he's terrible on Summoner's rift.

But he's fun ;_; and he kicks arse!
(http://i.imgur.com/sGAaf.jpg)

Quote:
wildfire393:

For two, your item build. Always Tabi? What if their mid is a caster? What if they have 3-4 stuns? Mercury Treads needs to be in consideration, and you should at least mention that Sorcerer's Shoes are a possibility if for some reason the matchup calls for neither Tabi or Treads.

Nimbleness, my boy, nimbleness is why I take tabi. If your playing mord as an anti-carry your primary concern is harassing their carry to death or out of experience range. If their mid is smart (and they normally are, for the most part) you'll be hard pressed to make a move on them. I find being a little bit faster can help with this greatly.

Simply bait enemy minions into attacking you, your nimbleness procs, and there's 10% more movement right there, which can be the difference between a successful siphon or not.

If your going up against 4 stuns, then go with merc's, and maybe a little prayer too.

Quote:
wildfire393:

Force of Nature as your first real item? Kindly leave. Force of Nature is a situational item at best on Morde, that I'd only ever pick up if the enemy team was 4+ mages, and even then I'd wait until after my core items. What are his core items, you ask? Randuin's Omen and Spirit Visage. With these two items, you get 27% Cooldown reduction, which provides a lot more spammability on your skills (which means a lot more damage). You also get a ton of HP regen and an AOE Slow, which actually gives you the ability to somewhat initiate.

I used to build visage and I still see the appeal. I normally buy force of nature now due to the increased focus on magic damage. Most ranged carries I see now, and even some melee like shaco and warwick build a madred's blood razor, and along with all AP characters using AP, I find that the extra magic resist from Force-o-Nature does wonders.

Quote:
wildfire393:
Next, Summoner Spells. Morde has some burst, but his main strength comes from being able to continuously dish out damage. Because of this, Ghost > Flash. You flash, you get to hit someone once with Mace/Siphon and then they get away. You Flash, you can chase them across the entire map, dropping Mace and Siphon on them the whole time. Also, Cleanse is very useful as you need to be not CC'd in order to launch your abilities in order to keep your shield up.

If your trying to be an anti-carry, you simply can't do that though. You'd have to run through a turret, or more likely two, as you try to chase them down and chances are you'll just trade. It probably works better on TT where the lanes are longer.

Quote:
wildfire393:
Next, Runes. mostly good here, but I'd say that CDR > MR in Glyphs, unless you're running 9/0/21 (at which point, more than 4% there is wasted once you get your core items).

For the most part I find most of the spells to be very spammable even without CDR, and I find myself being limited more by ignite than anything else on my ult.

Quote:
wildfire393:
What is Creeping death doing for you all this time? A minor Armor/MR buff and that's pretty much it. Creepwaves/wraith camps won't be alive long enough to leech from. Your opponent won't be standing next to you if they can help it. So you're taking an ability with a massive cooldown and a short window of usefulness that you'll maybe get 2 ticks worth of usage out of each time it cycles around. Whereas with a leveled Mace, it will always be up when you want it, as well as splashing more damage and thus giving you more shield.

If the carry is letting you get close enough to mace of spade them then it probably doesn't matter what items you build or skills you use because they're probably mental.

I also like creeping death because you can use it to remotely increase your shield, toss it on the second creep in the wave and you can build you shield up to a pretty healthy point.

Oh and nice catch on the build, I've been playing singed recently and forgot to change it.

Resilga

07-09-2010

Coolidge you're doing something right. I am a long-career morde player as well and Wildfire is not correct about most of what he says.

I do agree with Randuin's Omen, that's a good one. Primarily though I've followed Heat n' Serve's mindset of a threat-tank (a tank that has no incentive to be hit except for how much danger he is to a team fight so he gets focused).

I like to tank with just a hint of m-pen myself and I level creeping death to max before going into Mace. To each his own but the reason I stay on my path is because -I NEVER LOSE TO MORDEKAISERS WHO BUILD WITH WARMOGS OR START WITH MACE OF SPADES- so I do not see their perspective too clearly. A mace of spades-kaiser can be ignored and often with good results (i'm not speaking hypothetically, I'm speaking out of experience).

Thanks for your mordethusiasm. I'll give your build a try, nice record.

inb4lowELO.

edit:

To any morde players who have never tried creeping death first, I pity you for your lack of interest in science. ****ing TRY IT before knocking it. It isn't a "minor boost" it is ABSURD how strong you are especially if you are leveled right. When you have max creeping death at 9 or 10 and they are all 9 or lower you are a catastrophe to be around (if you play smart and approach at the right times and, i dunno, TANK). You say they won't want to be around you? Is that in your experience? It seems to me they always want to focus me down first, I wonder what we're doing differently. Perhaps you are affording them the luxury of not having to worry about you.

Sorry, that was catty.

Anyway Creeping death >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mace.

Carados

07-09-2010

Pretty much everything Wildfire says is correct except Creeping Death >>>> Mace of Spades.

And you never, ever should build Force of Nature on a character who is designed to stand in the middle of a fight.

Calvin Coolidge

07-09-2010

Quote:
Carados:
Pretty much everything Wildfire says is correct except Creeping Death >>>> Mace of Spades.

And you never, ever should build Force of Nature on a character who is designed to stand in the middle of a fight.

Well I guess its a good thing your chasing carries then.

wildfire393

07-09-2010

Quote:
Resilga:

I like to tank with just a hint of m-pen myself and I level creeping death to max before going into Mace. To each his own but the reason I stay on my path is because -I NEVER LOSE TO MORDEKAISERS WHO BUILD WITH WARMOGS OR START WITH MACE OF SPADES- so I do not see their perspective too clearly. A mace of spades-kaiser can be ignored and often with good results (i'm not speaking hypothetically, I'm speaking out of experience).

To any morde players who have never tried creeping death first, I pity you for your lack of interest in science. ****ing TRY IT before knocking it. It isn't a "minor boost" it is ABSURD how strong you are especially if you are leveled right. When you have max creeping death at 9 or 10 and they are all 9 or lower you are a catastrophe to be around (if you play smart and approach at the right times and, i dunno, TANK). You say they won't want to be around you? Is that in your experience? It seems to me they always want to focus me down first, I wonder what we're doing differently. Perhaps you are affording them the luxury of not having to worry about you.

Sorry, that was catty.

Anyway Creeping death >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mace.

Generally I see the Warmogg-Kaisers taking Creeping death first, and I laugh. Hard. And proceed to walk all over them.

If you run into a group of enemies with Creeping death on, what's to stop them from just walking past you and attacking your carry? You aren't a hard tank, you can't make people fight you. And even if you can, many champions have ranged abilities, and can just kite your Death until it wears off, plinking you the whole time.

I've played game after game where I end out outleveling them, and when I've got a maxed Siphon + Mace, it means I'm dealing massive AOE damage to their entire team every few seconds. Yes, if they stand next to your fully-leveled Creeping Death for the full six seconds, they take 480 damage, and then it's off cooldown for another up to six seconds before you can do it again. Assuming no CDR, During this twelve second period, I launch four Mace of Spades for ~800 (to four targets each, or 1200 to one target) and 3 Siphons for 735. Yes, you're obviously doing other things during that period of time, but my damage output is not reliant on the other champions clustering around me - Siphon has a solid range, and Mace can be used on an adjacent enemy to hit enemies who are outside of Creeping death range.
Not to mention that having a leveled Mace-Siphon combo in lane is insane. Every time they come to try and grab a last hit or to harass, they're going to take a huge chunk of their life. If your primary damage source is Creeping, they're probably taking at most 1-2 seconds worth of its damage. Additionally, you're not going to be pushing the lane as hard and thus have less freedom to roam for creeps or ganks.

Also Coolidge, regarding two things:
1) Nimbleness + Tabi. Yes, this is handy. But if your primary desire is to be able to close the gap to drop harass, have you considered going 21 Utility (for the 3% speed) and Boots of Swiftness? This gets you up to 417 constantly, while Tabi-Nimbleness puts you at 423 - only slightly higher, and not all the time. Again though, I don't find this to be an issue, as I'm generally pushing them to the tower very quickly. They can either back away from the tower and let me knock it down, or stay there and let me harass them under the tower. There's not a ton of gap-closing going on I find.
2) Ghost vs. Flash - What I really dislike about Flash is how quickly its benefit is over. You flash once, and it's done. For casters like Annie, Ryze, and Veigar who can take advantage of this to drop a stun and thousands of damage, this is highly beneficial. For more sustained damage dealers like Morde, you benefit more from not letting them get away from you for a sustained period of time - particularly if you're leveling Creeping Death. Flash might net you 1-2 CD ticks, while Ghost can keep the whole six seconds on them, while also dropping multiple Maces and Siphons.