Why I am re-directed to China LOL from leagueoflegends.com

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pika7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTripp View Post
lol wtf it's essentially the same language with minor variations in spelling color=colour sort of stuff. I don't even notice when the spell checker tries to correct my Canadian spelling.

and I certainly don't care that I'm on the same website as Americans.

=\
a slightly more extreme (and rather nonsensical example) is sending off all brazilians to the spanish page.

most people here cant tell the difference between portuguese and spanish, huehuehue.
hey, they're close enough, so lets just do that!

simp. and trad. chinese are much more similar than that, but thats not the point. the point is that they are different.
redirecting canadians to the american page would be akin to redirecting hong kongers to the taiwan site, which is fine! we speak canto, they speak mando, but we all write in traditional chinese, so i can see the logic behind that.

BTripp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika7 View Post
a slightly more extreme (and rather nonsensical example) is sending off all brazilians to the spanish page.

most people here cant tell the difference between portuguese and spanish, huehuehue.
hey, they're close enough, so lets just do that!

simp. and trad. chinese are much more similar than that, but thats not the point. the point is that they are different.
The canadian to american example is ridiculous and if the difference between traditional and simplified chinese are as minor as that then rofl could you whine about anything more trivial?

I'm proud to be Canadian and all that but not proud enough to demand my own website in my exact dialect for every little thing I do.

Edit: seems I was wrong, the guy just gave a really terrible analogy.

Tummmymunster

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behold My Wrath View Post
Your ignorance is astronomical. They are both the same ****ing language, they're just different character sets. Any one who can read traditional can read simplified, with the ability to recognize about 90% of the character set. Even people who can only read simplified can more or less interpret about 80% of traditional Chinese.

They redirect you based on distance, not what dialect, therefore China would be your server. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that LoL doesn't have servers based in Taiwan. Your logic is broke beyond belief.

I don't care if I get flamed for this, or if I'm being too harsh but the two Hong Kong citizens in this conversation are both absolute morons. China should feel ashamed for even reabsorbing you back into the country, even if they're communist *******s who censor anything anti-communist, at least they aren't ignoramuses.
This guy ^ downvote him to hell. They're not the "same" language you tard. Take YOUR ignorance elsewhere.

pika7

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTripp View Post
The canadian to american example is ridiculous and if the difference between traditional and simplified chinese are as minor as that then rofl could you whine about anything more trivial?

I'm proud to be Canadian and all that but not proud enough to demand my own website in my exact dialect for every little thing I do.
nah, i wouldnt be complaining if they were really that minor. im not really even complaining. i just find it strange. its really the only website i know that does this, because every other website respects the differences between the dialects.

put it this way: someone who knows traditional chinese fluently, but has never seen simplified chinese in their life, would NOT be able to read anything in simplified chinese.

a lot of us can read it because of our proximity to china, and from some educated guesswork. but they are really not as similar as canadian/american english.

Jakeick

12-12-2011

hey guys,

lol.garena.tw

Taiwan LOL site with traditional Chinese

/thread

HawkBlader

12-12-2011

Take it this way, I always write my name in traditional Chinese.
One day, the guy at the hospital wrote my name in simplified Chinese and I couldn't even recognize my own name. It was really that different

pika7

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeic46 View Post
hey guys,

lol.garena.tw

Taiwan LOL site with traditional Chinese

/thread
omg.
why not redirect us here, if it exists?
i didnt know it existed. now im really confused.

wtk13

12-12-2011

Just favorite/bookmark the forums, saves time and energy.

pika7

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtk13 View Post
Just favorite/bookmark the forums, saves time and energy.
i do. its not that it really is a big deal, i just fail to understand the reasoning of redirecting us, a place who uses traditional chinese, to a simplified chinese website.

and im even more confused when i realise when they actually have a traditional chinese version.

wtk13

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika7 View Post
i do. its not that it really is a big deal, i just fail to understand the reasoning of redirecting us, a place who uses traditional chinese, to a simplified chinese website.

and im even more confused when i realise when they actually have a traditional chinese version.
Don't know, don't care for the reasons.

Again, i'll stick with the NA version.