Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Personal Scores--A brief argument that they mean something

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Argodis

12-11-2011

I have won games where my team has actually had the lower total personal score.

I believe that if you go top, you should at least be in the top 3. There is almost never a reason why you should be standing still. There is always something for you to do.

Depending on how bot lane plays out, you may have carried your team but still be last in personal score. Honestly, I think top should always beat bot in points. They're interacting with 4 players while bot is interacting with 1. You must be really good if you've managed to come in 1st as bot or your allies at top were just that bad.

DagnirenGutha

12-11-2011

Score means NOTHING.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ouxno2.jpg

Not only do we have a lower total score, but the highest scorer wasn't even on our team. There are a lot of smart moves that get you 0 points overall. Intercepting enemies and stopping them from getting to a point while your friend captures it for instance.

I could just as easily show you the screenshot from yesterday as well. I had more kills, less deaths, and more assists than the first place person but because their combat score was higher they got first place by 10 points. I was tanking but you don't get points for stunning or taking damage so because they were an AD carry they got a higher combat score.

Score is an indicator, if you chronically score low then there's probably a reason. But score isn't perfect. Tanks are highly undervalued in particular.

Wolfalisk

12-11-2011

Quote:
Speusippus:
Every time I've checked, the team who wins in Dominion has the highest total of personal scores.

Moreover, every time but once, the team who won had the player with the highest personal score of all ten players.

This seems to me to mean personal score does in some way correlate with contribution to victory.

It had to be said. +1

I also firmly believe that players that don't perform well on a regular basis (ie. having a low score consistently through a spread of many games), are the ones more inclined to complain about the score system, and insist that their low score doesn't reflect their contributions.

DagnirenGutha

12-11-2011

@Zerg Swarms: I just posted a game screenshot proving that post entirely wrong. >.> Highest total didn't win and the highest player on their team was 400 points above our highest player and we still won.

Not to be rude. >.< I just mean that's not a valid argument.

Speusippus

12-11-2011

Quote:
DagnirenGutha:
@Zerg Swarms: I just posted a game screenshot proving that post entirely wrong. >.> Highest total didn't win and the highest player on their team was 400 points above our highest player and we still won.

Not to be rude. >.< I just mean that's not a valid argument.

Zerg Swarm was discussing long strings of games.

You are discussing a single game.

Not to be rude. >.< I just mean that's not a valid objection.

DagnirenGutha

12-11-2011

Quote:
Speusippus:
Zerg Swarm was discussing long strings of games.

You are discussing a single game.

Not to be rude. >.< I just mean that's not a valid objection.

Well he said EVERY game. Which is proven untrue. And if his point is that total team score shows the victor most of the time, then I would agree. But not ALL the time. Sometimes the score means nothing. And if the number isn't reliable to be pretty accurate every single time than to me, it's worthless. Because I could never know if the score is actually showing me an accurate representation of the players ability or if it's just being inaccurate again.

Oh, and btw, that's by no means the only time I've seen the losing side have a higher score. So while it's rare, if he had truely played a "long strings of games." then he would have had a couple like the one I took a screenshot of as well.

Wolfalisk

12-11-2011

Quote:
DagnirenGutha:
Well he said EVERY game. Which is proven untrue. And if his point is that total team score shows the victor most of the time, then I would agree. But not ALL the time. Sometimes the score means nothing. And if the number isn't reliable to be pretty accurate every single time than to me, it's worthless. Because I could never know if the score is actually showing me an accurate representation of the players ability or if it's just being inaccurate again.

Oh, and btw, that's by no means the only time I've seen the losing side have a higher score. So while it's rare, if he had truely played a "long strings of games." then he would have had a couple like the one I took a screenshot of as well.

Son I don't know wtf you're on about, I think you may have gotten posts mixed up.

First of all, I never said every game the highest scoring team wins. Just 99% of the time they do. Just because once in a blue moon the lower scoring team wins doesn't prove, by a longshot, that score is independent of victory. Idk if you were addressing the op, but still.

Also, 'bout that long string of games...yea...I looked at your profile...you have ~20 wins...I have over 150 wins on Dom, and around 100 losses. I've seen the lower scoring team win only a couple of times. Come back when you have more than 20 wins and maybe we can talk a little more about long strings of games, yes?

DagnirenGutha

12-11-2011

A) It's my third account your talking about if it's got 20 wins. And B) I was talking about the quote you used. Not what you originally stated. Soo....... yah. >.> Sorry if I caused any confusion, I didn't mean to.

I also don't feel the need to make it personal nor get mad about it. My original statement that person score isn't reliable enough of an indicator to be worth anything still stands. I'll but out and be quiet now to avoid stepping on any more toes. I apologize to anyone who is upset with my opinion.

Wolfalisk

12-11-2011

Quote:
DagnirenGutha:
A) It's my third account your talking about if it's got 20 wins. And B) I was talking about the quote you used. Not what you originally stated. Soo....... yah. >.> Sorry if I caused any confusion, I didn't mean to.

It's okay, it was just incredibly confusing.

Phourc

12-11-2011

Quote:
Cauldrath:
I notice incoming enemies and intercept them so my teammate can finish channeling, and die in a 2v1 while leaving them both very low on health so my teammate can finish them off, who gets tons of points while the other gets almost none? Who contributed more to those points being obtained?

You both did xP If your teammate was a tard and stopped channeling, you both would have died for nothing.

At least the system is to the point where it rewards 1 out of the two people who did it... not saying it's perfect, but it generally in the right direction.

Quote:
DagnirenGutha:
Score means NOTHING.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ouxno2.jpg.

It tells me a few things: your team all contributed fairly equally to your victory, while their swaim tried and failed to carry their team xP