Personal Scores--A brief argument that they mean something

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Speusippus

12-10-2011

Every time I've checked, the team who wins in Dominion has the highest total of personal scores.

Moreover, every time but once, the team who won had the player with the highest personal score of all ten players.

This seems to me to mean personal score does in some way correlate with contribution to victory.

Keiji Cupcakes

12-10-2011

It's entirely relate able unless you play bot. Bot gets no score for a sometimes god like job, save early game. I've been able to pull off and hold first as bot for five minutes early on, but my team was usually bad in those.

You get a pretty low score for kills, kills on points? A ton. Dying but then having your assists help your team, through your death, gain a point and get kills? Matyr points, 40 for the first, and I think 10 for each after in one run. But martyr points are only on turrets.

Killing the entire enemy team in their jungle, except one, letting them cap because you chase like an idiot while their 5th takes your mid and you just absolutely NEED those kills, and you end up with 2/3 bases instead of 3/2? Dumbest thing you could do, but gets you more kills. Basing things off KDR isn't even accurate in SR. Even less in DOM, personal score is amazing.

Vanra

12-10-2011

I've noticed that the people who say personal score means nothing tend to be the people with low scores. Usually they say it because they want to blame someone other than themselves for the loss, but they can't because everyone else has a better score.

Mindllapse

12-10-2011

martyr points mean nothing in the long run

have fun spending entire respawn time getting no points

fyi: 15 deaths in a dominion game means you spent at least 1/3 of the game respawning

during the time you're dead you could make the same amount of martyr points if you were alive and just running around picking up buffs or getting defense points for standing on cap

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2011

Do getting higher personal scores lead to victories?
or do teamwork and smart plays lead to higher personal scores?

This is merely a correlation, not causation.
That means it's just a happy coincidence, it doesn't mean anything significant.

From my experience, there have been many MANY games, where the best player does not have the top score, because he/she is constantly fighting off enemies, or running off to assist allies, and everyone else are the ones doing the capping and killing.

This lead to the MVP having the lowest or 2nd lowest score, despite obviously being the leader and linchpin of the group.

Achieving a high score does not lead to a high success or victory rate.
It's merely a show of achievements. There are many more achievements unregistered with the score system, that lead to victory, which make the scores invalid.

Mindllapse

12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCuri View Post
Do getting higher personal scores lead to victories?
or do teamwork and smart plays lead to higher personal scores?

This is merely a correlation, not causation.
That means it's just a happy coincidence, it doesn't mean anything significant.
does smart plays and teamwork lead to higher personal scores? yes. most of the time.

then do higher personal scores indicate smart plays and good teamwork? yes. most of the time.

this is merely a very strong correlation, not causation.
that mean's most of the time having high scores is a good indicator for your ability to play as a team and play smart.

seriously people. the score system is fairly accurate in most instances. It's just some of those games where you get low score and are doing well while someone is terrible and has high score makes you all mad and riled up and focused on that particular isolated occurrence and you become biased towards the results and rage on forums about score

Keiji Cupcakes

12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindllapse View Post
martyr points mean nothing in the long run

have fun spending entire respawn time getting no points

fyi: 15 deaths in a dominion game means you spent at least 1/3 of the game respawning

during the time you're dead you could make the same amount of martyr points if you were alive and just running around picking up buffs or getting defense points for standing on cap
Matyr points mean nothing in the long run.

You're right. It's rare you'll even get them, and if you have nothing but martyr points you'll be in 5th place. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you only sit around to defend a cap, then you probably have three caps already, or are a moron. And all the killing done around points = extra points, as do assists.

So you basically verified everything I said while thinking you were disagreeing. Martyr points are a bonus bro, getting nothing but them is r-tarded,

xGvPx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2011

Eh, to me, KDA = only personal score that matters. My goal is always K>D and K+A>Dx2 if I'm tanking. It is funny how new personal score works though, sometimes you can be like 0/6 or 1/6 or something and get #1 somehow.

Mindllapse

12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krallna View Post
Matyr points mean nothing in the long run.

You're right. It's rare you'll even get them, and if you have nothing but martyr points you'll be in 5th place. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you only sit around to defend a cap, then you probably have three caps already, or are a moron. And all the killing done around points = extra points, as do assists.

So you basically verified everything I said while thinking you were disagreeing. Martyr points are a bonus bro, getting nothing but them is r-tarded,
I wasn't really responding to you but more to the argument that "personal score is dumb because things like martyr makes you have high score"

so like you said, fighting and killing on cap gives way more points than killing and chasing in jungle

also, martyr is not always bad. if you are losing or it's a close game and you are the only thing between them capping the 4th, it's good to stall as long as you can if you can stall a decent amount. if they 4cap they rack up nexus points really fast and when you lose the game because of 30 points--well that's like 4 martyrs worth of stall

Dante Mordicain

Recruiter

12-10-2011

Personally, I play as my teams mid roamer and often end up towards the bottom/mid in the personal scores. I find in my particular role, I often initiate jungle games/decaps and grab buffs to generally make myself big and scary so that the other team starts forming 3+ gank squads on me, whilst the other members of the team push and hold.

So for my distraction role, I often lack the high personal score, but at the end, its the win that counts