Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

An Explanation of Ranked Team Ratings

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

12-10-2011

Quote:
Katarìna:
Personal rating carrying over from anything before this new system is bull****. There's no reason that 5/0 is better than 24/0 when it's statistically significantly better to win 24 games in a row rather than just five.

To be clear, the migration of ratings from pre-season to the new system include a soft reset similar to what we did at the beginning of pre-season. Nobody stepped into the new system with a really high personal rating.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

12-10-2011

Quote:
H911Reiver:
But the question mark says it does, it's a bit misleading, we understand the intention, but the information the game gives is wrong (it includes over 1250 as a conditional)

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like the tooltip was written incorrectly, so I'll check it out and make sure it gets updated.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

12-10-2011

Quote:
Pleinairi:
I think what hes assking is, how come the elo you win towards the team score at the end of the game fluctuates a lot, i'm not really positive if this question has been answered before or not so i apologize before hand...But it's also something i would like to know. I would get on a hot streak and only get about 12-14 Elo per game, ok i take it. Then there will be that ONE game, just one game that someone on the team screws up and loses the game. Go to game screen and it subtracts 30-45 Elo?! Theres all the games i spent all of four hours playing just to start from square one.

I'm not really asking for a change, although i would like to know how it works exactly, why is it deducted in such a way that would discourage anyone from playing ranked?

Rating adjustments at the end of a game are largely based upon:
- The number of games your team has played (more games = smaller adjustments)
- The relative rating of each team
- The outcome of the game

rjcombo

Lead Designer

12-10-2011

Quote:
OJ191:
Uhh I havn't played ranked teams yet but solo/duo shows the +/- X elo in the after game report.

Yes but we hide the ratings and adjustments for ranked teams until the team has seeded in the specified ladder.

Hopeless Lover

12-10-2011

give us the equation you use...

rjcombo

Lead Designer

12-10-2011

Quote:
xSoyShrimp:
Its stated that our individual elo's are hidden in the background but i'm confused to the reason why there are hidden. When i go to my profile and see i have an elo in solo queue i feel rewarded and i can see where i am at. When i look slightly to the left i don't see anything under the 3v3 category and it makes me feel a bit demoralized because i can't see what i earned as an individual with the games that i have played with my team. I feel as though the reward as a team factor is there but i don't see the self reward factor every time i go to my profile. Basically what i'm really trying to say is that i wish the personal elo's were not hidden and that I can view it.

When it comes to Ranked Teams, the intention is for the focus to be put on collective team ratings, not individual ratings. We only track individual ratings in the background so newly created teams can be more appropriately seeded.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

12-10-2011

Quote:
PerFeCtiOnzZ:
How is it a fair competition in SEASON 2 if this TEAM Elo is being based by assumption + past performances?

The ratings that were migrated from pre-season went through a soft reset and have far less influence on the system than ratings earned during season 2.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

12-10-2011

Quote:
Fathomful:
Sorry that is incorrect.

Played ranked team 3v3 until we received an ELO.

Then played our first game of 5v5 team. At end of game it showed our ELO from the 3v3 team with a -# next to it.

That is a bug. You should not see ratings or adjustments for a specific ladder until the team has completed 5 games in that ladder. I can assure you, however, the ladders are tracked separately.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

12-10-2011

Quote:
Safety X:
Hey RJ, are you going to delete teams that have 1-2 players or never play games? My friends and I got on the morning they started teams to grab a name, but it had already been taken. Now it has been a month and the team still consists of 1 person (the creator, obviously). It is kind of annoying because my buddies have had our clan since DotA and we were really excited when Teams officially came out in League. Do you know of any plans in the future to clean this up?

Yes, we intend to clean up inactive teams in the future.

CZG Wisdom

Recruiter

12-10-2011

Would it be possible for you guys to show us the ELO tracking of the first and second team of Ladder 5vs5? I would really like to know with what ELO they started and how much ELO they earned...

cuz id find it a bit wierd if it goes like this :

Team A : starts at 1200 and wins like 100 ELO per game
Team B : starts at 800 and wins like 40 elo per game... (which is the average for less than 10 games i think)

If only you could show us the formula with which you calculate ELO, it would be so much easier for both side, you wouldnt need to explain much and people would complain way less!